How sturdy are the side jack points?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on How sturdy are the side jack points? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; More specifically, how do they stand up to hydraulic floor jacks? Every time I've jacked a car up using the ...

How sturdy are the side jack points?

More specifically, how do they stand up to hydraulic floor jacks? Every time I've jacked a car up using the side jack points resulted in damage (bending) of the jack point when I didn't use the provided (emergency) jack. Also do the sideskirts take any abuse?

Just a question that crossed my mind. I'm a new 04 WRX owner.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

For all of my work I've used the hydralic jack (and a piece of wood) under the diff. and supported it with jack stands on the "jack points". So far I haven't seen them bend or give me problems. My Corvette hated my hydralic jack and the jack points but the suby, no problems.
    It's not a damn beanbag!

I use a hydraulic jack as well with no problems- bTW, is there an acceptable front jacking point? I use the rear end and a block of wood for the back as well.

I do the same thing for the front. It's just a tighter fit up front.
    It's not a damn beanbag!

I Support ClubWRX
    A narrow "dish" floor jack (read: el cheapo model typically) will not bend the side jacking points since it doesn't span outside the notches. My high quality floor jack would be disastrous though, which is ironic.

Once the car is up on a side and the wheels are off, I slide the wheels under the chassis and use jack stands on the diff and front side chassis rail. I'm still not enthusiastic about getting under a car, but that's just me....

Questions:

When you use the rear diff and a block of wood, do you have a diff guard installed or do you just put the wood under the diff and jack using the diff itself?

How about the front? Is the small metal piece (kinda like a 15 cm longitudinal crossmember of sorts) bolted just behind the oil sump suitable? Or do you jack from the frame rails aft of the motor?

Thanks!
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Re-Addicted to WRX tacomaboy138's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

JACKING

The way I learned from working on my previous Tacoma for the past 5 years and now the new Subie is to always jack from the frame rails with a piece of wood when doing anything with the front...I have never jacked from the diff before...I used to use the burly shock mounts on my Tacoma for any rear end work, but I don't know about the Subie.
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    07 MINI Cooper S... SOLD!
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

Jeremy Clarkson has my dream job.

For the front their is a metal plate that looks like it has two lumps on each side. It goes across the subframe, you can jack the front of the car from there. This picture is of the bottom of a STI but the part looks similar on the WRX so you should be able to find it. On the STI it looks like you should use a piece of wood, but on the wrx the bumps are closer and you don't need the wood, but it couldn't hurt either. I also jack my rear from the rear diff protector, I don't really use wood since the diff protector is strong enough. Also make sure you don't jack it from the sub frame, when installing my suspension somebody did that and it bent it out a little bit and now my exhaust flange rubs the rear diff protector, not a big deal, just an annoyance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sti under.jpg  

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

There is a page from the manual around here showing the central jacking points. Front is just as shown in Kanos' picture. Rear is the diff housing. I use wood on both for jacking, and I put the jackstands on the side jacking points, with wood there too. No damage whatsoever to the underside of my car, and it's stable as hell because the metal bites into the pine.
    FUNKED1
    GO PETTER & TOMMI!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Funked and Kanos thank you both, the front piece is what I was talking about so that's great, and it's good to know I can go at it using the diff in the back too. Cheers!
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Oh thank god. I was jacking up my car to change oil and I was using the manual jack points, my jack is different than the emergency and a lil more heavy duty and i felt like my sideskirts were going to be ruined afterwards.

my jack wont reach that point in the front.. Its too big I need some fast suggestions... tHX
    04' JBP WRX Sedan

Originally posted by MawviN
    my jack wont reach that point in the front.. Its too big I need some fast suggestions... tHX
    try to drive your front wheels up on a piece of wood or something. Just enough to raise the front a few inches so you can get your floor jack underneath.
    --Jason-- 2004 MT WRB WRX
    Cobb Stage 2 more goodies:
    STi SS | Blitz SUS | Samco IC Hoses | Perrin Rear Sway Bar and Endlinks | Eibach's | Steel Gray Rota Downshifts | Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's | Blitz DTT-DC2 | Phatty-Ass System

"This is my WRX. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My WRX is my best friend. It is my life. I must master my WRX as I must master my life. Without me, my WRX is useless. Without my WRX, I am useless."

Originally posted by KanosWRX
    ..Also make sure you don't jack it from the sub frame, when installing my suspension somebody did that and it bent it out a little bit and now my exhaust flange rubs the rear diff protector, not a big deal, just an annoyance.
    In my manual I only see the side skirt points... I tried testing the subframe and soon found out it was a bad move.. it actually didn't bend at first then I heard a creak and

Now I've learned to roll the front up on bricks and then use some wood with the good jack.. don't know what I'm going to do about the rears though.

Update: A friend of mine with a VW said he found a jack with an adaptor. Maybe there is an adaptor source out there that will let us use the heavy duty jacks.
    clutch, shift, gas, clutch, shift, gas, shift, clutch, gas, clutch gas, shift... oops!

Actually, could someone post a pic. of the rear dif, and draw an x (not arrows) exactly where the jack would go? It's silly, but I don't trust jacking it up anywhere now.
    clutch, shift, gas, clutch, shift, gas, shift, clutch, gas, clutch gas, shift... oops!

cnk
    Originally posted by Retro
    Maybe there is an adaptor source out there that will let us use the heavy duty jacks.
    Go here for side sill adapters: http://www.protechproducts.net/images/JACKPADS.asp

Calvin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast