04 grind when going into reverse...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 04 grind when going into reverse... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Whenever I shift into reverse, about 20% of the time, I get nice grind, like the clutch isnt all the ...

04 grind when going into reverse...

Whenever I shift into reverse, about 20% of the time, I get nice grind, like the clutch isnt all the way depressed, but I have the clutch to the floor!! Anybody else have this problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

reverse ins't synchro'd so that is completely normal.

dR

really? I get a real loud grind, it doesnt sound good at all.

It could be that your rolling before the gear is in. If the gearbox seems like it is fighting you when trying to go in to reverse try 2 things. put in neutral release clutch, then try again. let the car roll about an inch back or forward stop the car and try again.

I know exactly what your talking about. When im at a dead stop, sometimes it gives me alittle fight to ge it in, but then other times, from a dead stop, I just get a LOUD grind. Sounds like the clutch isnt fully engaging...

I could be that you guys are not waiting long enough after pushing the clutch in to try and put it in reverse. Any time the engine is running and the clutch is engaged, the main shaft and all the gears are turning. You need to give the main shaft and gears a sec or so to stop before going for reverse.
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

iT IS A NORMAL TRAIT OF THE WRX'S GREAT TRANNY. MINE (2002)DOES IT ALL THE TIME. JUST BE CAREFUL WHEN GOING TO REV. IF IT FIGHTS U JUST PLACE IT IN NUETRAL, RELEASE THE CLUTCH AND THEN PRESS THE CLUTCH IN AGAIN AND TRY REV A SECOND TIME. IT IS A QUIRK OF THE CAR. ENJOY...LOL
    Go fast...

2002 WRX PLATINUM SILVER
    SHORT THROW SHIFTER
    TURBO GAUGE
    WING
    ALL THE REST IS FILLING.....

Originally posted by DIRSGT
    iT IS A NORMAL TRAIT OF THE WRX'S GREAT TRANNY. MINE (2002)DOES IT ALL THE TIME. JUST BE CAREFUL WHEN GOING TO REV. IF IT FIGHTS U JUST PLACE IT IN NUETRAL, RELEASE THE CLUTCH AND THEN PRESS THE CLUTCH IN AGAIN AND TRY REV A SECOND TIME. IT IS A QUIRK OF THE CAR. ENJOY...LOL
    OK, THANKS FOR THE HELP!!

This is what I do, clutch in, shift to 4th, with clutch still in, shift into reverse. Shouldn't get any grinding this way.

I had the same proiblem in my maxima, and my girlfriend has the same issue with her sentra. I have learned to pump the clutch to first shift into R with nissans, but in my rex I first put it in 1st - then to nuetral - pump the clutch about three times and then slip it into reverse. It has become a little ritual before I leave my house.
    I once had a nissan tech tell me it was because of air in the clutch line and pumping it work. Is there any truth to that? It seems to work, will it cause harm?
    <Ryan>
    '00 Silverthorn Metallic 2.5 RS
    '04 San Remo Red WRX Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Try shifting into second, and then into reverse. It should go in smooth then. Been in that habit for years

no grind here, but i always go from 1st to r.
    04 JBP
    Stock - they are watching.

Yea I used to grind alot in R when i was in my 88 toyota but i learned that if you shift around a little like from 1st to 2nd, then put it in R you wont have any grinding. Trying to go from N to R without going thru some forward gears first always got me a loud grinding noise so i think this works.
    2004 WRB 5spd
    catless

And one more for the ol, 1st to reverse no grind trick....

Done it on lots of previous cars of mine.

Dont worry, Just part of owning a car with soul...

Shotgun

Yea, it's a quirk with most MT cars that I've experienced. Like was said before, it's no synchroed so the teeth aren't always quite in the right spot. A little rev in neutral usually helps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.