3k miles-Smoke during start

This is a discussion on 3k miles-Smoke during start within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Today I just got my 3k oil change. Tonight, someone was behind me as I was starting my 03 wagon. ...

3k miles-Smoke during start

Today I just got my 3k oil change. Tonight, someone was behind me as I was starting my 03 wagon. I noticed a cloud of smoke in the lights. Should I be concerned?

Regards,
    Matt

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What color was the smoke? Did it do that before the oil change? Do you smell it inside the car?
    A lot of power is good, more is better, and too much is perfect. I mean, if less is more, think how much more more is...

White

I looked like white smoke.

Have you modded the car at all? Exhaust or boost control?
    A lot of power is good, more is better, and too much is perfect. I mean, if less is more, think how much more more is...

I get white smoke when I start the car too. It's been doing that since the day I bought it and I assume it's because the engine is not warmed up. Does it go away after you've been driving awhile?

No mods...it seems to go away. It appears to be just at startup.

When engine coolant burns the smoke it produces is typically white, and burning coolant is definately not a good sign. However, If the ambiant air temp is low and the relative humidity is high, the water coming from the tail pipe in the form of vapour is easily mistaken for "smoke", especially at night with white headlights illuminating it and especially before the engine is at normal operating temperature. Consider checking your coolant level frequently. Also, when you check your engine oil level, start taking a few whiffs of it and looking to see if there is any unusual color, smell, or foreign matter. If there is an internal coolant leak somewhere, you can usually find some of the stuff in the engine oil. Let's hope that there isn't any. Good luck and keep us posted.

Originally posted by suderex
    No mods...it seems to go away. It appears to be just at startup.
    If you have some time to spare bring it in and see what the dealer has to say... wont hurt to have it logged!
    '12 WRB Sedan