anyone else with an oil leak??? or burning it??
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on anyone else with an oil leak??? or burning it?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i have a 03 WRX and just before my second oil change i noticed it was down almost 1 1/2 ...

anyone else with an oil leak??? or burning it??

i have a 03 WRX and just before my second oil change i noticed it was down almost 1 1/2 quarts!!!!! that cant be good.... it doesnt seem to be leaking it (that i can see) so it must be buring it right??? but this seems like to much...anyone else have this happen or heard of it??
    <<<<<<<< LOOK AT MY NAME!!! lol
    COBB stg II

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If it's a new car, it might consume some oil as the rings bed in. The first one thousand miles are critical to oil consumption later on. I don't know how you broke in your engine or how many miles you did between oil changes, but my engine, which was religiously broken in consumes a little oil, about one litre per five thousand kilometers. I try to stay out of the boost until I get a little heat into the oil, and I think this practice helps. Definately keep your eye on it though, because I'm starting to see more threads like this one. You might also just have a look around your turbo for any signs of oil, likewise if you remove your IC or hoses for any reason.
    A lot of power is good, more is better, and too much is perfect. I mean, if less is more, think how much more more is...

for the first 1000 miles i never reved her higher than 4000 RPMs.... and always let her warm up even in 90 degree wheather...i will take alook around and see if i can see oil leaking... i just got back from a 400 mile trip and the oil level is fine....i dont understand what is going on... i only have 6700 miles on the motor....would it still be in a breakin period?? and burning oil???
    COBB stg II

Break in period is definately over, but the key is to constantly vary engine load, never driving at one speed for long periods while you're breaking it in. Have you modded the car at all? Lots of time in high boost can encourage more blow-by, but it is not necessarily "abnormal".
    Like I said, I burn a little and lots of other relatively new engines do too. Did you notice any consumption during your first oil change? Does your exhaust smoke at all? At any rate, if the level is now normal after a road trip, it's probably nothing to worry about. BUT, it's really important to regularly check oil level to stay on top of things. Also, do you do your own oil changes? It is not uncommon for garages and even dealerships to put in the wrong oil or the wrong amount.
    A lot of power is good, more is better, and too much is perfect. I mean, if less is more, think how much more more is...

whats odd is the oil level was only down 1/2 a quart after the first 3000 miles....my exhuast never smokes.... i havent started my own oil changes yet... but plan on it when i switch to synthetic ~10,000 miles....but i check the oil and all the caps after they change the oil.... as far as mods their listed down below.... let me know if something sticks out
    COBB stg II

None of the listed mods raises a flag (I'm not sure what Joe P refers to). I discovered the hard way (read horror and panic) that accurate oil level readings are impossible unless the car is on level ground and that the heads have had enough time to drain down. I don't know if that is of any use to you but keep your eye on the situation and keep us posted.
    Also, I asked a (very good) mechanic friend of mine about it and he agreed that some oil consumption is not necessarily a cause for alarm. He did point out that a large spike in consumption could indicate a major problem, if things like inaccurate level readings, insufficient filling, leaking drain plug etc are ruled out. Ultimately, don't panic. If a major problem is discovered you are still under warranty.

thanks for all your help man...
    btw Joe P is a MCB... i know a cheap one.... if yo think of something else let me know... thanks
    COBB stg II

Any time. Stay in touch.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.