Changing Transmission Fluid
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Changing Transmission Fluid within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; How hard is this to do? I'm thinking about doing it because I hear a lot about how much better ...

Changing Transmission Fluid

How hard is this to do? I'm thinking about doing it because I hear a lot about how much better shifting feels. But I've never worked on cars until I got my WRX. I've only changed the oil once myself, but plan on doing it regularly since it's warm out now. I'm just afraid to screw something up.

I read the in depth tutorial on scoobymods, and it seems easy enough. Only thing I don't want to do is take off the intercooler, if at all possible. I hear it's a pain in the ass and I don't want to screw it up.

When replacing the drain plug, how tight do I tighten it? Do I just tighten it as tight as I can? Or a certain torque?
    Last edited by verbal; 05-29-2003 at 01:33 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Removing the intercooler is actually pretty easy - it's only a matter of removing a few bolts.. Reinstalling it can be a PITA if you have the stock, plastic hose. With softer hoses its really easy to reinstall, too. With the stock hoses, it's just a matter of a bit of frustration. Truly, it's not a difficult job to do.

I use torque specs for a lot of work, but replacing drain plugs isn't that critical. Just tighten it up until its nice and snug and there are no leaks.

You are a nervous Nellie, aren't you?

I recommend you keep trying jobs of increasing difficulty. It's fun and rewarding - because you've done something new and challenging. Saves $$$$$$$$$$, too.

X

Originally posted by MisterX
    Removing the intercooler is actually pretty easy - it's only a matter of removing a few bolts.. Reinstalling it can be a PITA if you have the stock, plastic hose. With softer hoses its really easy to reinstall, too. With the stock hoses, it's just a matter of a bit of frustration. Truly, it's not a difficult job to do.

I use torque specs for a lot of work, but replacing drain plugs isn't that critical. Just tighten it up until its nice and snug and there are no leaks.

You are a nervous Nellie, aren't you?

I recommend you keep trying jobs of increasing difficulty. It's fun and rewarding - because you've done something new and challenging. Saves $$$$$$$$$$, too.

X
    Yeah, I really want to do this. But I'm really leary without somebody actually showing me how it's done. Last thing I need is to screw up my car.

Is this at all possible without removing the intercooler? I hear it's a pain and just don't trust myself with it.

Originally posted by verbal
    Yeah, I really want to do this. But I'm really leary without somebody actually showing me how it's done. Last thing I need is to screw up my car.

Is this at all possible without removing the intercooler? I hear it's a pain and just don't trust myself with it.
    Dude, you certainly can do it without removing the IC. You'll need a long snakey funnel, OR a little oil pump dillio that you can buy for $6. The torque on the tranny drain plug is something like 35 lb/ft. That's about a one-handed snugger, NOT a two-handed yanker! After you remove the drain plug, clean the metal sludge off the magnet before you refill it. Don't be concerned about the amount of metal shavings unless they are large and gravelly. (This would indicate abnormal gear wear.) Really, it's a piece of cake. One last tip: make sure that your car is level when you do the final drain. Myself and others have learned that you won't get a complete tranny drain if your front end is lifted. Have fun.
    2002 WRB 5-spd: K&N drop-in, silencer hack, Samco IC hoses, Godspeed uppipe, Bosal downpipe w/stock 3rd cat, Tanabe RM catback, TB Racing crank pulley, Tanabe GF-210 springs, Koni Sport strut inserts, Group N tranny & motor mounts, Whiteline rack bushings, Kartboy rear-sway endlinks & shifter, Goodridge ss brakelines, Akebono ProACT front pads

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, it's super easy. W/ a funnel or gear oil pump it's easier than the engine oil! No need at all to remove the intercooler.

Check page 22 of the Periodic maintenance sticky at the top of this forum for instructions.

I highly reccomend the $6 investment for the little pump like John said.

Chris
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Anybody have a link to the pump I'd need?

Anybody have a link to the pump I'd need?
    Dude, you can pick one up at any NAPA store. Very generic item.
    2002 WRB 5-spd: K&N drop-in, silencer hack, Samco IC hoses, Godspeed uppipe, Bosal downpipe w/stock 3rd cat, Tanabe RM catback, TB Racing crank pulley, Tanabe GF-210 springs, Koni Sport strut inserts, Group N tranny & motor mounts, Whiteline rack bushings, Kartboy rear-sway endlinks & shifter, Goodridge ss brakelines, Akebono ProACT front pads

What would I use this pump for? Putting in the fluid?

After reading a few threads, I'm torn at what brand fluid to put in. What seems to be the best to use?

What would I use this pump for? Putting in the fluid?
    yes

I just won a fluid evacuator in a raffle. Would I be able to get the tranny oil out with this pump? It says engine oils on the box. Should I trust it?
    -1986 RX-7 GXL
    -2002 Blue WRX Wagon (given up)
    -2001 Prelude, (sold)
    -1989 Accord, (sold)
    -1984 Dodge RamCharger (Sold)

I've read that you should jack the car up by the front end, remove the dipstick and let the oil drain in the raised position because the front diff gets it's lube from the gearbox- this allows it to drain- also to let the car cool so all the gear oil is in the pan. Does this sound accurate?

what mileage did most of you first change the transmission fluid
    i have and 02 with 7300 miles on it but i have been pretty damn rough on it
    2002 bugeyes
    It just looks stock . . .

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.