Rejected for emissions test

This is a discussion on Rejected for emissions test within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just put in my MIL eliminator and since I've pulled my original codes, the I/M catalyst monitor (if you ...

Rejected for emissions test

I just put in my MIL eliminator and since I've pulled my original codes, the I/M catalyst monitor (if you have an OBDII scanner, and you scroll down to the I/M monitors you can see which ones are working) is still not ready, and its been like a week. Im wondering if the reason the MIL eliminator gets rid of the CEL is because it just makes the catalyst monitor not ready, so it doesn't even check for the code. So the last time i went to get my emissions test, i was rejected because all the monitors weren't ready (granted, none of the monitors were ready because i just got my codes erased) will i be able to pass the test while the catalyst monitor isnt working, will it start to work soon, or should i start looking for an entirely new solution? Thanks guys

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

it might be alittle OT: But i was wondering, if i had the Mil Eliminator and I went for a smog test with the stock downpipe put back into place...will my car be alright to pass? Or do i need to remove the mil eliminator and hook back up the sensor?

Re: Rejected for emissions test

Originally posted by N8DOGG
    I just put in my MIL eliminator and since I've pulled my original codes, the I/M catalyst monitor (if you have an OBDII scanner, and you scroll down to the I/M monitors you can see which ones are working) is still not ready, and its been like a week. Im wondering if the reason the MIL eliminator gets rid of the CEL is because it just makes the catalyst monitor not ready, so it doesn't even check for the code. So the last time i went to get my emissions test, i was rejected because all the monitors weren't ready (granted, none of the monitors were ready because i just got my codes erased) will i be able to pass the test while the catalyst monitor isnt working, will it start to work soon, or should i start looking for an entirely new solution? Thanks guys
    Another OT question. Will clearing codes with an OBDII scanner cause this "not ready" readout? I thought just pulling the battery will do this.

yes it will

hmmm....

so clearing codes w/ my scanner will fail me for emissions? anyone know how all this works? does the 2.2K ohm fix for the uppipe do the same?

i've cleared all sorts of codes from the gascap one to the cat inefficiency. i want to be sure i'll pass the test. how should we go about doing this?

dR

I believe that it takes 30 (or so) driving cycles for the monitor to go into the ready state. Did you cut power to the ECU while doing this install? If so that may have been enough to reser the monitor to the not ready state. I don't know how the the MIL Eliminator works but I assume that it just reproduces the signal that a properly functioning O2 sensor would make when all is well with the cats. I think that after enough driving cycles you will be fine, but I would definitely be interested in hearing if this is the case.
    Big pimpin' in a Legacy GT Wagon

R.I.P. WRX Wagon

so clearing codes w/ my scanner will fail me for emissions? anyone know how all this works?
    no, you wont fail emissions, you will be rejected for the test, they wont even perform the test because all of your monitors aren't ready. If you go in and you have a cel (for example the high circuit one that you need the resistor mod for) then you will fail. At least thats how it works in milwaukee
    Last edited by N8DOGG; 05-30-2003 at 09:29 PM.

Originally posted by N8DOGG
    no, you wont fail emissions, you will be rejected for the test, they wont even perform the test because all of your monitors aren't ready. If you go in and you have a cel (for example the high circuit one that you need the resistor mod for) then you will fail. At least thats how it works in milwaukee
    so is 30 cycles the number? i trip a code once or twice a month. i'd like to know if i'm in the right range when i need to get my sticker this year.

wonder if my actron will tell me if the car is in "Ready mode" or not.

dR

Originally posted by dark_rex
    wonder if my actron will tell me if the car is in "Ready mode" or not.

dR
    to answer my own question, it does. the 1443 (evap emissions control vent solenoid) and the 0442 (cat ineffic) are both "not ready"

wtf! i need an inspection in 30 days.... any more info here guys on how i cany accelerate the 30 cycles thing?

bump for dR...

i need to know how this is going to work.
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

I got a letter from my DMV which stated we in De. are only doing OBDII scanning for emmisions. It stated that clearing codes w/ a code puller and clearing codes does put monitors on "hold". They recommend driving for a week after resetting/ code clearing ecu. I've been waiting for someone w/ a MIL to try getting inspected . Let us know how it turns out w/ the MIL on after you try again.

the obd2 system works on "trips."

a trip is made up of a certain number of criteria. things like the change in coolant temperature, the speed of the car, etc.

when i go home for lunch today i will scan some pages out of a book i have which details the obd2 protocol and standards. i found it VERY interesting reading, since it explains why CELs occur sometimes and not others. it also explains how the MIL eliminators for cat codes work.

give me a couple of hours and you'll have an answer.

ken

thanks ken.
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

great stuff here ken...thanks

i will read in more detail when i get home from work.
    -Brian