Weak Starts
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Weak Starts within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My rex with just over 2000 mi on it sometimes has weak starts. I can't isolate it to a particular ...

Re-Addicted to WRX tacomaboy138's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

Unhappy Weak Starts

My rex with just over 2000 mi on it sometimes has weak starts. I can't isolate it to a particular time (i.e. cold starts or warm) and it happens very rarely (only twice so far). Does anybody else have this problem and is this something I should be worried about?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have had the same thing happen to me on my 03 wrx. My car was doing it more often when it was under 4000mi. I have almost 6000mi on it but the starts have seemed to be getting better. I wouldn't worrie about it too much. If it consistantly happens then I would have the dealer take a look see.

By "weak start" do you mean "slow crank" (low pitch, slow spinning of the engine via the starter motor) or "long crank" (normal pitch, normal rpm of engine via starter motor, longer duration/# of revolutions before engine "catches"/fires)?
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

If you think it might be a problem, take it in to the dealer/mechanic before 50 restarts have passed. That way the slow start will still be in the computer's history. At least, that's what a Subie mechanic told me.

In any case, I was having the same problem, and it seems to have gone away. It was like a normal starter sound, but took a few seconds or so to turn over... They've checked my electrical and didn't find anything wrong. ?? oh well! Like I said, seems to have gone away now.
    Speedometer? Is that the thing next to the tach?

Re-Addicted to WRX tacomaboy138's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    it just takes a long time to turn over.... i'll take it in to the dealership for my first oil/filter change and tell them about it when they do the 100 point check. Thanks for the replies, I think I can rest a little easier now.
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    07 MINI Cooper S... SOLD!
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

Jeremy Clarkson has my dream job.

If you are in a situation where you have to start your car often, w/out letting it run for a while, especially if the battery is new, then your altenator won't be able to keep up.
    eg. week batt. and slow starts. mabey this could be your situation.
    Today's blessing

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest
    the crotch of the person who f***s up your day and
    may their arms be too short to scratch.
    AMEN

same thing happened to me, once under 4k, now twice in a week...

It like starts and idles at like 200 rpm like it's gonna die and then after like 3-5 seconds it picks up....
    -Ryan |Dub-Yuh Our Ex Ess Tee Eye| My Car

Originally posted by RLsChMiDt
    same thing happened to me, once under 4k, now twice in a week...

It like starts and idles at like 200 rpm like it's gonna die and then after like 3-5 seconds it picks up....
    Maybe a seasonal thing? ECU decides a/f is not optimal and hunts for idle??
    2002 WRB 5-spd: K&N drop-in, silencer hack, Samco IC hoses, Godspeed uppipe, Bosal downpipe w/stock 3rd cat, Tanabe RM catback, TB Racing crank pulley, Tanabe GF-210 springs, Koni Sport strut inserts, Group N tranny & motor mounts, Whiteline rack bushings, Kartboy rear-sway endlinks & shifter, Goodridge ss brakelines, Akebono ProACT front pads

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.