how to know when i need to change my tires?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on how to know when i need to change my tires? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; it's 30.000 miles on my stock tires someone told me about "penny method" to see how good the tires is ...

how to know when i need to change my tires?

it's 30.000 miles on my stock tires
    someone told me about "penny method" to see how good the tires is
    someone?
    thanks
    you should remember guys that i don't speak english well.
    please forgive me and ask me which part you don't understand, and i will try to explain it using my own language.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The penny method is a 3/32" depth, there is also wear makers on the tire.
    Look for small bars in the tread, it is where the base of the tread has little raised cross bars.
    When the face of the tread gets to those they are done for rain weather.

Sorry that is the best i can explain it, you will notice it when they show.

I Support ClubWRX
    You can use the top of Lincoln's head as a tread depth gauge, or the built-in tread bars (I think the manual explains this too), and you can also note the feel you're getting - if the wheel wobbles or you notice tramlining and there's nothing else wrong with the car, the tyres could be going.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

i'm using penny, and the tread depth is right in between Lincoln's head and hair
    what it means?
    please forgive me and ask me which part you don't understand, and i will try to explain it using my own language.

I Support ClubWRX
    If you can see all of Lincoln's head (it will be upside-down as you hold the penny into the tread) then the tyre tread is low enough to replace the tyre.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

yup, i can see all lincoln's head
    it's right in between his hair and his head
    i need to buy new tires then

I Support ClubWRX
    Do you mean the tread is between the top of Lincoln's head and the edge of the penny? If so yes, your tread is low.

it's right on his top head, but not his hair
    i can see all his head but not his hair
    that's what i'm trying to say
    hmm ....

I Support ClubWRX
    Aha! OK I understand now. Yes, your tread is low. You might want to do a search for replacement tyres on this forum, people have tried many different kinds and have posted about them.

thanks a lot !

i think this is the time to buy 17" and new tires Sumitomo HTR+ 225/45/17
    hehehe ......... i wait for this moment to happen

what tires do you use?

I Support ClubWRX
    I still use the stock Dunlop RE92 because it's still new. When I need to replace them I was thinking of staying with the stock 16" wheels since they are actually quite light and strong, so I don't see the need to go to 17" for my car, which is used as a family car mostly. I will probably go to 225/50/16 and use Falken ZIEX 512 - I am using these on our Toyota and like them, and they're inexpensive.

hey, why don't you get Sumitomo HTR+
    this is the link

http://tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?...omCompare1=yes

and it's very cheap !!

this link is our stock tires, and it's nothing to be compared w/ sumitomo

http://tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?...omCompare1=yes

check it out

i just wanted to say that whole penny discussion was pretty hilarious. lol
    Speedometer? Is that the thing next to the tach?

I Support ClubWRX
    I always thought you needed to see his hair, as of course the top of his head is higher than his hair line......he had a pretty full head of hair!

Either way they're getting low.

As a note to everyone else - make sure you get under and check out the inside of the tread as well. Especially if you're running extra camber up front and are prone to wearing the insides of the tire first.

C
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by SD_GR
    I still use the stock Dunlop RE92 because it's still new. When I need to replace them I was thinking of staying with the stock 16" wheels since they are actually quite light and strong, so I don't see the need to go to 17" for my car, which is used as a family car mostly. I will probably go to 225/50/16 and use Falken ZIEX 512 - I am using these on our Toyota and like them, and they're inexpensive.
    Bridgestone RE92.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast