Poll: What brand of gas are you using?

View Poll Results: Which brand of gasoline do you use?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sunoco

7 18.92%
  • Chevron/Texaco

10 27.03%
  • Mobil

6 16.22%
  • Shell

3 8.11%
  • BP

2 5.41%

3 8.11%
  • Exxon

1 2.70%
  • Citgo

0 0%
  • Amoco

3 8.11%
  • Phillips 66

2 5.41%
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Poll: What brand of gas are you using? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; These are the larger companies that I could think of based on my travels, for those of you wishing to ...

Poll: What brand of gas are you using?

These are the larger companies that I could think of based on my travels, for those of you wishing to respond but use something different, most likely a quicky-mart brand, please tell us what it is!
    Last edited by glepko; 05-19-2003 at 05:29 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I use the cheapest available premium unleaded fuel at all times. I don't know of any difference in gasolines available widely in my area, save maybe for an additive package here and there - overall, no big deal IMO. Luckily, the US has fairly uniform gas standards that are widely enforced - you don't come across outright crimes much, and there's not a lot of floating rubbish, seawater, etc. like I've seen/heard of/bought/suspected elsewhere - of course the premium fuel is roughly equivalent to normal unleaded elsewhere, but it's inexpensive and quite acceptable as far as quality.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Is there a way to take regular unleaded fuel and add additives to raise the octane level? I thought I remember hearing about this somewhere. I also know from chemistry class that if you have more alcohol mixed in with gasoline it raises the octane level and burns better.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

mobil rules.

also mobil owns exxon so u may want to add them together
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

Originally posted by SpeedRacerWRX02
    mobil rules.

also mobil owns exxon so u may want to add them together
    From my research it looks like they use different additive packages in their fuels but I could be mistaken.

Chevron/Texaco are combined because Texaco will not be producing gasonline again until the summer of '04, and my assumption is that the additive package will differ in some form from the Chevron gas.

I'm not concerned about quality of fuel or what "might" be better than one or the other, just curious about brand loyalty and most commonly used on a broad spectrum.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Th3Franz
    Is there a way to take regular unleaded fuel and add additives to raise the octane level?
    Yes there are ways but it's much easier and almost certainly much cheaper overall to just get the grade of fuel your manual spec's. Homebrew isn't worth the hassle IMO.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Only the best for my car, 94 octane Sunoco. I was looking around the pro-rally sites. It seems the rally cars also use Sunoco gas, Even Subaru has a Sunoco sticker on their car.

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Th3Franz
    Is there a way to take regular unleaded fuel and add additives to raise the octane level? I thought I remember hearing about this somewhere. I also know from chemistry class that if you have more alcohol mixed in with gasoline it raises the octane level and burns better.
    Toluene is what you want to use:

http://performanceolds307.tripod.com/backup/id9.html

It also makes a great fuel injection cleaner:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/...=5;t=000065;p=

C
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.