Wierd tire handling issue
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Wierd tire handling issue within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I got a set of Bridgestone Potenzas RE040 225/R45/17 tires and wheels. I bought these tires used premounted along with ...

Wierd tire handling issue

I got a set of Bridgestone Potenzas RE040 225/R45/17 tires and wheels.

I bought these tires used premounted along with the wheels, so I mounted the wheels on to my car by hand, I did check to make sure the direction is going the right way.. on these directional tires..

Now the issue is..

- They are so prone to turning my steering wheel when there are imperfections on the road..

- I hit a minor bump on the road on a curve, the steering wheels fights with me the other way and I have to correct it

- Driving slowly down a smooth road, no problem.. the tires seem quiet and no wobbling tires

- If the road is not flat, maybe slightly uneven, I can feel the steering wheel turn that direction

- the steering feels very numb and nervous on uneven road, what's funny is that I had 215/R40/17 that felt more assuring than these.

I did take the wheels off, checked the tire pressure again.. 32 front and 30 rear..

remounted each wheel, making sure that I torqued the lugnuts in a star pattern, and make sure they can turn before lowering the jack..

So I'm stuck to thinking these tires and wheels need to be balanced again and I thought maybe tire pressure has something to do with it..

What do you tire experts think the problem could me?

Or am I missing something..
    02' WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Are the rims hubrentric, or do they need rings to adapt them? Also I would have the balance checked! How many miles on your car? You may need an alignment! Good luck!
    '12 WRB Sedan

Is that the first time you have had 040's, maybe it is just a nervous tire.
    My miata handles just like you describe with Dunlop sp8000's and an aggresive alignment.

Make sure that you have the right rings if you have the hubcentric wheels. Your tires seem to be tracking a lot, but if you have had regular all season tires before and you switch to ultra high performance tires then you will totally be thrown off by the huge amount of tracking they can do.
    clutch, shift, gas, clutch, shift, gas, shift, clutch, gas, clutch gas, shift... oops!

wow, this amazing you posted this, thank you!

I got my 225's on recently, and I'm having the same problems where the road imperfections cause me to fight with the car. No biggie tho...

I don't think it's your balance or alignment...

but I will update you in a week when I get my alignment done! (I installed new springs this weekend)

p.s.: in case you're wondering, I got s-03s
    -Ryan |Dub-Yuh Our Ex Ess Tee Eye| My Car

The more aggresive the alignment the more squirrely they wil be in a strait line in my experience. When they get set into a corner though

I had exactly the same problem with my S-03s. I thought it was the alignment, or the tire pressure, or the brakes dragging. After a while, it settled down or I just got used to them. They're fine now and can take turns like you wouldn't believe.
    "The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts... attitudes... prejudices. To be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill, and suspicion can destroy, and the thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own for the children, and the children yet unborn. And the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to The Twilight Zone."

Best Regards,
    Ah Clem

Going to a wider tire will increase tracking.

That's why z28s with those giant 275 fronts are always hitting trees.

Yup, I'd say completely normal. I get tracking with my 225/50/16 s03's, but not as much as my 225/45/17 kumho's.

Probably not related, but I was getting the same symptoms as you... it was because of caster being off on the front left wheel. My rex is currently in shop for a new control arm.
    Speedometer? Is that the thing next to the tach?

Interestingly the RE040 is starting to settle in and the tires are handling quite well now.

Still some "tracking" as it is called on uneven surfaces, especially where the left or right side of the car are on uneven grooves of a road surface but it is no longer scary.

I pulled around a hairpin turn at 40mph and the tires bite pretty well on that road.

I think it's quite normal.. now..
    02' WRX

I have noticed that sensation as well, even when the car was brand new on stock parts. Its common in all subarus actually. The tires just seem to follow imperfections in the road. Mainly when stoping you feel the car going left or right if their is a dip in the road somewhere or something like that. What feels more weird to me is sometimes taking turns at fast speeds where the road is not flat, your feel one of the front tires like its moving up and down more then it should. I think its just the awd trying to grip the road instead of slipping because of the uneven surface. I got that feeling though after installing my STI suspension, it certainly acts differently going through turns vs. the stock suspension.

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.