What are the advantages...

This is a discussion on What are the advantages... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; of changing the oil yourself? I've never changed the oil in any of my cars so i dont know the ...

What are the advantages...

of changing the oil yourself? I've never changed the oil in any of my cars so i dont know the procedure.

Also is it okie to change it from a shop? Can they be reliable? I know one place where i always get it done and they are fast and efficient. To me money does not matter.

And im a newbie so bear with me

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

There are 3 reasons why I change my own oil:

1. Money - I use synthetic oil that cost $5/quart, so changing it myself cost $30 (oil + filter). Having somebody else change my oil would cost $25 (I supply the oil) and another $19-25 for a shop to do the actual labor.

2. Paranoia - I've heard so many horror stories about oil change places, from forgetting to put oil in the engine, putting in too much/little oil, not tighting the drain plug, reusing old filters, etc.

3. Pride - I enjoy working on my car.
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

I think bdoug hit all the major points. I do not trust any one to work on my car...even for a simple oil change. Plus the oil is so easy to change on the WRX...you only need simple hand tools and an oil drain pan. You don't even need to jack up the car to get under it.

If you want to see the procedure, take a look at this post. It has the maintanance prodecures from the service manual
    2003 WRB Sedan. Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by scooby-x
    OMG!!! Do you want me on my knees or bent over? I love you

Bdoug is correct, mainly other than the money, the peace of mind of a job well done is priceless. Plus its fun!
    '12 WRB Sedan