maintenance questions - potential WRX buyer
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on maintenance questions - potential WRX buyer within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am considering buying a WRX w/ the 4EAT but need to know some of the fluids/parts it uses as ...

maintenance questions - potential WRX buyer

I am considering buying a WRX w/ the 4EAT but need to know some of the fluids/parts it uses as well as its durability.

What kind of engine oil does it use/should it use?
    ATF?
    Rear differential?
    Coolant (Subaru Coolant or will Prestone suffice)?

Will I need to replace any major suspension/steering/driveline components before 100k miles?

How durable are these cars with normal street use?

How do I change the oil - do I just change it like any other car, do I need to crank it to lube the turbocharger, etc?

Do I need to idle for 5 min after I get back from a long drive to prevent oil coking? Or if I use synthetic, can I just shut it off?

How easy is it to maintain the vehicle?
    Coolant thermostat changes, belt changes, spark plug changes, spark plug wires (Not sure if it has any, my Ford Crown Vic uses ignition coils on each plug), engine oil, coolant, tranny oil, gear oil, etc... is it difficult to do these things (lift engine out, etc)?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

k91

Re: maintenance questions - potential WRX buyer

Read the sticky posts at the top of the forum Periodic maintanence manual among others...

To answer some of your questions:

Oil: 5W30, synthetic or regular thats a matter of opinion

ATF: DEXRON III ATF or better

Rear Diff: 75W90 gear oil

Periodic maintanence is no more difficult or easy than any other vehicle. Oil changes are easy. Rear diff fluid change is easy. Look around all your questions have been answered before. Overall Subarus are pretty reliable and durable vehicles, I would not be scared to buy one

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.