REDLINE OIL help.....
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on REDLINE OIL help..... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Question People????? I live in a hot place in a Caribbean island, the weather down here is from 75 to ...

AXA

REDLINE OIL help.....

Question People?????
    I live in a hot place in a Caribbean island, the weather down here is from 75 to 105F all year long….
    I wrote redline and they toll me to put 5/30 engine oil in my WRX, but I read on their web site that the 5/30 is for real cool weather temp engine start.
    I don’t know if to go with the 10/30 or even with the 10/40.
    I have 4300 mile in my car they toll me it was ok to change to their oil………

Jose Savinon
    WRX
    95 Supra Greddy T-88H

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Check your owner's manual (you're not in the USA so I assume your manual will spec different oil grades/viscosities than mine, say). You need to follow the manual specs for warranty purposes, and I don't know if any Redline products are API SL, for example, which is what we're required to run stateside.

Warranty reqs permitting, you should not notice a difference between the 5- and 10W-30 grades, provided the 5W-30 does not result in increased consumption, maybe due to the wider spread. Of the 3 oils you mentioned, I'd expect the 10W-30 to stay within spec longest, the 10W-40 to provide the most high temp protection but also the worst horsepower and fuel economy, and the 5W-30 to provide the best startup protection - however, these estimates are derived from rules of thumb generated by dino oil use, and RL oils are Group V ester based products with moly etc., no relatio to dino oils (except perhaps the small % dino used as a carrier for the additive package).

Check out the sticky thread, "Oil Change" in the maintenance forum. In it there's lots of info and a link to one of the best sites on the web for oil and tribology discussions.

The short answer is that none of these oils will cause you any problem provided you do not road race or rallye (read: hours on end at the redline in dirty, hot conditions etc.). If you do, go with the 40W IMO. If you do, warranty is out the window anyway so you can run any oil you want, in which case you might ask about their 5W-40 (it exists even though it's not listed on their website) and/or 20W-50. If you don't compete in the car, just check your manual and go from there.

SD
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.