Optima Battery
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Optima Battery within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I have my 1969 Pontiac Firebird sitting at my parents house as we speak. I have had it sitting ...

I Support ClubWRX

Optima Battery

So I have my 1969 Pontiac Firebird sitting at my parents house as we speak. I have had it sitting in the driveway for the last 2 years. My dad finally gave me an ultimatum. Get it out of the driveway or I will get it out of the driveway(AKA tow truck).

So the car needs a new battery. And so I was thinking, placing my stock Subaru battery in the Bird, and having the excuse to buy a newer battery for my WRX.

You can learn a little about Optima batteries here:

http://www.optimabatteries.com/produ...rter/index.asp

The features I like about these batteries are:

Vibrant resistant: You can shake the crap out of it and it won't spill and won't cause damage to the battery itself.

They are also non-spillable: These batteries are completely sealed and corrosion resistant.

I know this is just another excuse to spend money on my car, but the opportunity came across, and I thought why not.

Anyone else running a Optima battery in their car?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: Optima Battery

Originally posted by KurleeDaddeeWRX
    Anyone else running a Optima battery in their car?
    A friend of mine has one in his truck due to the durability of it, the power, etc (he takes it off road often). He loves it. His old 'regular' battery died on him since he doesn't drive it daily and hasn't had any issues with this one.
    -Jim

'02 Platinum Silver WRX sedan w/roof rack...bone stock. Ok, now that's a lie.

GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    When my stocker dies I'll put in an Optima for sure. I've used them before and absolutely love them. All sorts of reserve power. The "2 hour reserve" thing is no joke. You really can leave your lights on for 2 hours (well - I guess you can't in an Impreza, but the Firebird would let you!) and start up no problem. Though I tried it once leaving on the lights plus 100W offroad lights and managed to drain it. The last one I had lasted 7 years. Excellent product.

It doesn't say on the website, but I was under the impression that they were gel batteries. I cracked the case on one in a crash and it didn't leak a bit - kept performing as if nothing happened.

Chris
    Last edited by GV27; 05-10-2003 at 07:42 AM.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

These are awesome batteries. I have one in my 1970 Ford Torino. It has been installed for about 3 years and it still starts up like a champ. It is a bit smaller than a regular battery, and it can be mounted sideways if you feel the need to do that. They are excellent and I highly recommend them.
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for the replies. Anyone know where the best/cheapest place to buy a Optima battery is?

I got mine through my school and got a student discount.

I Support ClubWRX
    I know I am lazy. Here is a link to Jegs:

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...23&prmenbr=361

I like this one:

Model 75/35
    753-9022-091 75/35 Top and Side Post, 6-13/16''W x 9-5/16''L x 7-5/8''H, Min. 33.1 lbs. $125.99

The others outweigh this one by 4lbs. or more.

What do you guys think?

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...th&part=optima

You can also get them from Summit Racing. All the Optima chices are good IMO. They don't make a BAD battery. Get what will work well with your given application.

Originally posted by KurleeDaddeeWRX
    I know I am lazy. Here is a link to Jegs:

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...23&prmenbr=361

I like this one:

Model 75/35
    753-9022-091 75/35 Top and Side Post, 6-13/16''W x 9-5/16''L x 7-5/8''H, Min. 33.1 lbs. $125.99

The others outweigh this one by 4lbs. or more.

What do you guys think?

Ebaymotors

You can usually get them for around $109.00 shipped!
    '12 WRB Sedan

Originally posted by 03WRXMA
    Ebaymotors

You can usually get them for around $109.00 shipped!
    Nice find!

Or buy a blemish one, ie. an error with the printing on it for $65.00!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33574
    '12 WRB Sedan

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by 03WRXMA
    Or buy a blemish one, ie. an error with the printing on it for $65.00!

03WRXMA,

Thank you very much for the heads up. Looky who won the auction!!! WOOOHOOOO!!!!!

you lucky dog , very nice batts they are.
    autobots transform

Good deal! As a side note you may have to extened the terminals as mentioned before, but thats not a big deal! Enjoy! BTW guys those deals on Optimas are always there...
    '12 WRB Sedan

I Support ClubWRX
    Received my Optima batter 2 weeks ago. I tried to install it last week, and didn't listen to 03WRXMA about extending the cables. I put in the battery and the tie down, got all happy. Then it was time to re-connect the positive and negative battery terminals, and the positive battery teminal was about 3 inches too short.

So this last weekend, I tried again. I looked in the engine compartment, for where the positive battery terminal traveled on its way to the starter motor. There is a metal bracket with a plastic clip on it that holds both the positive and negative battery cables together. I snapped the plastic clip off, and it gave me just the right amount of slack I needed to connect the positive battery terminal to the battery. The battery hold down bars are a little too long, and the threads on them are a little short, since the optima battery is shorter in height. So I took 2 1" length nuts, enlarged the ID with a drill, and used them as temporary spacers. Then tightened them down securely. Battery does not move at all. Battery works fine, and seems to crank over the motor a lot quicker than the stock battery.

Next week I will try to install the Subaru battery on the Firebird, wash her up, and get ready to sell her.

Here's a picture of the Optima battery installed:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast