Actual Oil Capacity/Dip Stick Level

This is a discussion on Actual Oil Capacity/Dip Stick Level within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; In changing the oil on my '03 WRX both times I've noticed to get the car to the proper reading ...

Actual Oil Capacity/Dip Stick Level

In changing the oil on my '03 WRX both times I've noticed to get the car to the proper reading on the dip stick you need to add more than the 4.8 qts. stated in the manual. It seems like I have to add more like a full five qts.

I have used an AMSOil SDF-20 (WRX application) Oil Filter which is a slightly different shape than the OE filter. I have, of course, idled the car after the change, turned the car off and allowed time for the oil to flow back to the pan.

I have found this same issue on other cars I own so I'm not that alarmed by the discrepency but wondered about other's experiences with the WRX.
    2003 Subaru WRX Sedan 5 spd.
    Platinum Silver, TurboXS Stage 3 and lots of other goodies. See profile.

2002 Mercedes Benz C32 AMG

2005 Lotus Elise on order

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I use Mobil-1 5 qt container, so I end up dumping the whole thing in just for simplicities sake. I haven't had any issues, although I don't check the dip stick either.
    -Jim

'02 Platinum Silver WRX sedan w/roof rack...bone stock. Ok, now that's a lie.

GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!!

Exclamation

I wouldn't put more than the 4.8 qts in there. In general, overfilling engine oil is a big NO-NO.

Can you say blown main seal? Sure, I knew you could.
    2002 WRB 5-spd: K&N drop-in, silencer hack, Samco IC hoses, Godspeed uppipe, Bosal downpipe w/stock 3rd cat, Tanabe RM catback, TB Racing crank pulley, Tanabe GF-210 springs, Koni Sport strut inserts, Group N tranny & motor mounts, Whiteline rack bushings, Kartboy rear-sway endlinks & shifter, Goodridge ss brakelines, Akebono ProACT front pads

My car reads "full" at right around 4.5qts.
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

Make sure you start the engine after 4.5 quarts, then check the dipstick, or you will always read low.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

I Support ClubWRX
    I fill up the oil at exactly 4.8 quarts every oil change and it reads right on full every time.

I Support ClubWRX
    For all my tribology mania and pontificating and ranting and raving about this oil and that oil, I've *yet* to get a consistent reading from my dipstick. Last time it read full at 4.2 qts, so I let it be, then it read low after 1.2 k mi, so I topped off with 0.6 qts, had what the locals here would call a "total *$&!-fit, dude," and began checking the level daily. That was 3 weeks ago. No drop in level that I can tell so far, and I'm about 2k mi into the drain interval.

*But* the dipstick will read F, then 2 mm above F, then 1 mm above F, then F, and so on all day in sequence, and I am on the verge of having another MAJOR episode with all this. I wrote readings down and you ought to see the notes...

If I don't go completely psychiatric I'll post back. The point is, I'm never going by the F mark again, I'll just d-r-a-i-n a-l-l I can (plug off, filter off, watch a couple movies, etc.) on level ground and then add 4.8 qts. Although adding too much oil is really not on, I don't think going up to 5 qts will hurt anything, particularly with the oil I'm using, which is decent at foam resistance and on the lower end of the acceptable viscosity for its stated SAE grade (my seals ought to be OK). I just don't tend to do this b/c it's unnecessary.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 05-19-2003 at 12:30 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Its safe to say our dipstick sucks! I agree with the above, I can never get a 'good' reading either...
    '12 WRB Sedan

I fill mine to 4.8 quarts and the dip stick is right on. Putting 5 quarts in won't cause any problems....its only 0.2 quarts extra. You'll run into problems if you dump an extra quart in. Then like JohnZim63 said, you'll blow oil out the main seals and other parts.
    2003 WRB Sedan. Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by scooby-x
    OMG!!! Do you want me on my knees or bent over? I love you

I Support ClubWRX
    OK more checking...

I must have ~5 qts in there now - I underfilled initially, then over-compensated. Now my oil goes to 1 mm or 2mm above the F notch with the car stone cold (overnight sit on level ground).

Although I don't think the little extra is an issue, it is a bit annoying - especially since I'm a bit of an oil nut. Oh, well, next drain I'll act accordingly.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.