Fram Sure Drain vs. Fumoto Valves
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Fram Sure Drain vs. Fumoto Valves within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm thinking about getting one of these. Which one do you guys recommend? I like the Fram idea a little ...

Fram Sure Drain vs. Fumoto Valves

I'm thinking about getting one of these. Which one do you guys recommend? I like the Fram idea a little better, because the last thing I'd want is a rock to hit the lever on the Fumoto and all the oil come out. I'm sure the odds are high that it wouldn't happen, but it could happen. And just my luck it would happen to me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i am not sure on the length of the device but i would be hesitant, the plug is low and i go offroad quite a bit, Sure hate to hit it on something being there is no skidplate there.

Pug
    The Fumoto valve's lever has a locking mechanism, so you need to lift, then turn the lever to open. As for ground clearance, I just installed my Fumoto last weekend, and it barely sticks out more than the original plug.

I would stick with the OEM drain bolt. Cant beat that! Besides getting a wrench and turning it isnt exactly difficult...
    '12 WRB Sedan

Hmmm. You have to live it, yeah. But does it kinda stick shut? or do you just have to lift it? A rock could hit it and lift it up. *shrug*

I think Fumoto is your only choice, Fram does not make the Sure Drain for a Subaru.
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

I Support ClubWRX
    I am a firm believer in the fumotovalve, since I have had one installed on my car for about a year, with absolutely no problems or leaks. I love it and will never take it off. And it cuts your oil change time in half.

I Support ClubWRX
    If you are concerned about an accidental opening you can either get a ring clamp from the company itself, or source it elsewhere, or just get a similarly small screw clamp - although at this point you are looking at using needle nose pliers or a screwdriver to release the clamp from the lower body of the valve before flipping the lever to drain, which may defeat the purpose somewhat. The valve does make getting oil analysis samples easier though. I think on scoobymods there's a photo essay on the valve.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Originally posted by KurleeDaddeeWRX
    I am a firm believer in the fumotovalve, since I have had one installed on my car for about a year, with absolutely no problems or leaks. I love it and will never take it off. And it cuts your oil change time in half.
    Can you tell me the exact size I need? And anything else I'll need? A washer? etc?

I Support ClubWRX
    You can go with either the washer supplied with the valve or the works Subaru crush washer. Search scoobymods.com for a pictorial that'll walk you through.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Pug
    Here's a pic of how the Fumoto locking mechanism works:

The size you want is F105, I bought mine from their website www.fumotovalve.com

Originally posted by Pug
    Here's a pic of how the Fumoto locking mechanism works:

I've seen that. But that doesn't mean it couldn't be opened by a rock while driving 65+ mph on the expressway.

And whats the nipple version?

Originally posted by verbal
    I've seen that. But that doesn't mean it couldn't be opened by a rock while driving 65+ mph on the expressway.
    That would be a very clever rock!

Originally posted by aussieinstlouis
    That would be a very clever rock!
    Nahh, it would just be very bad luck.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by verbal

And whats the nipple version?
    There is absolutely no way, unless you have really bad luck, that a rock could make it open. The lever is spring loaded, and needs to be pushed up and then to the right. It is very unlikely that the spring acutated valve will open under normal driving situations.

The nipple version of the valve allows you to place a 3/8" hose on the end of the nipple, and with the other side of the hose, be able to aim it into virtually any container to drain the oil. It helps a lot when changing the oil IMHO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast