CEL: P0301 Random Misfire @ Cyl. #1

This is a discussion on CEL: P0301 Random Misfire @ Cyl. #1 within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So that's my code any I deas as to the cause? I'm thinking maybe just a loose spark plug wire ...

CEL: P0301 Random Misfire @ Cyl. #1

So that's my code any I deas as to the cause? I'm thinking maybe just a loose spark plug wire (do they actually have such a thing)
    or maybe the connection from the coil pack to the spark plug boot/wire.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

There is a pile of info about this over at...ahem...you know....

This is a common code, the fix calls for sending your ECU to SOA (the dealer does this) for a complete reflash to adjust some parameters (assuming your CEL was tripped for the same reason). Keep in mind the reflash is ordered for ECU's from the earlier batch of builds.

I found the discussion on nabisco three months after the dealer told me about things and took care of the car so Subaru is aware, this isn't just a message board rumor.

Well that sucks. I don't want to send the ECU back to SOA.
    Is it a real problem that could lessen the life of my engine?

It's done with overnight shipping, only two days of down time and the rental/loaner car is free. Doesn't suck too bad. Most likely it's nothing that will ever cause a major problem but peace of mind is better than piece of piston IMHO. I mention this because some have had pistons/rings damaged which caused the same CEL, it might be worth at least considering the reflash or checking to make sure the code wasn't due to something else.