Using a H-6 oil filter
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Using a H-6 oil filter within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was looking around the Subaru Endwrench site ( http://www.endwrench.com/ ) and happend to find this http://www.endwrench.com/current/win...03/insider.pdf Oil Filters: H-4 ...

Using a H-6 oil filter

I was looking around the Subaru Endwrench site (http://www.endwrench.com/) and happend to find this http://www.endwrench.com/current/win...03/insider.pdf
    Oil Filters: H-4 Versus H-6 Engines
    Subaru H-4 engines come from the
    factory with an OEM P/N 15208AA060
    oil filter. The same part number is used
    for replacement. H-6 engines come
    with an OEM P/N 15208AA031, and
    S0A5165109 is used as a replacement.
    Both filters have the same physical
    dimensions as far as threads, O-ring,
    and bypass valve opening pressure (23
    p.s.i.) are concerned. However, the H-4
    filter has 141 square inches of filtration
    surface, while the H-6 filter has 201
    square inches of filtration surface.
    The H-4 filter should not be used on
    the H-6 engine. Using the H-4 filter
    may cause it to become contaminated
    faster and allow the bypass valve to
    open, allowing unfiltered oil to circulate
    through the engine.
    It would seem that the only difference between the two filters is that the H-6 has about 40% more surface area.

I'm going to change my oil today (gotta get ready for Carlisle ) and I'm planning on using a Pure One filter for the H-6 (P/N PL14459). I'll let you guy know of the differences, if any, and how it works out.
    Last edited by bdoug; 05-01-2003 at 07:25 AM.
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The filter is probably a bit taller. I wonder if that's even a problem. Nice find!

-Jim

OK, just got back from the parts store.

Externally, the two filters look the same. The H-6 filter isn't any larger than the H-4 filter.

However, internally the H-6 filter is different. It has a red silicone anti-drainback valve and the bypass valve looks different too.

The H-4 filter doesn't appear to have any anti-drainback valve, but according to the info on the outside of the box and the Purolator web site, it should have one. Although, I don't remember if the factory installed light blue colored Tennex filter had a anti-drainback valve. I am almost positive that the OEM replacement Purolator filter does not have a anti-drainback valve.

I was unable to tell if the filter element is different between the two filters.

In the end, I decided to err on the side of safety (this time ) and I bought the H-4 filter.

Stay tuned to this thread for more info. In the next couple of weeks I plan on cutting both filters apart to find out what the exact differences are.

For reference, here are the Pure One part numbers:
    All H-4 engines - PL14460
    3.0L H-6 engine - PL14459

-Brett
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

I Support ClubWRX
    PL14459 is also the PureOne for a 2000 Civic EX.

Does anyone know where the H6 filter is located? With ours hanging upside down it really doesn't need a valve I wouldn't think. It always seems to be full of oil.

Honestly I often wonder why they produce so many filters - many seem to be interchangeable.

Was there a price difference? I might just start buying one filter for my car and the wife's. I did that when I used to use Fram.

Chris
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

I Support ClubWRX
    More part #'s to different oil filters for the WRX can be seen here:

WRX Oil Filter Part #'s

Chris, they were both the same price. In fact almost all the PureOne filters were $5.99.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.