Installed SAI, now CEL comes on

This is a discussion on Installed SAI, now CEL comes on within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Today I bought and installed a Blitz short air intake system for my '03 WRX. It's my first modification and ...

Installed SAI, now CEL comes on

Today I bought and installed a Blitz short air intake system for my '03 WRX. It's my first modification and my first problem. After an hour of driving, the CEL came on, and is on all the time when the car is running. I like the air intake system, it sounds cool, but I've noticed a loss of torque and doesn't accellerate as quickly and smoothly as before.

Has anyone else had this problem? How can I fix it? Am I better off with the stock box?
    TIA!!
    ~joel

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well, with a stock wrx, intakes seem to give some people problems. Normally it's the MAF sensor is messed up, which causes the engine to run lean. This could obviously mess up your performance. The stock intake system has proved successful on many tests and many people stay with the stock setup until much higher power levels/ or a new turbo, so basically, sticking with the stock intake isn't a bad idea.

Hope this helps.
    -Ryan |Dub-Yuh Our Ex Ess Tee Eye| My Car

Great, thanks Ryan. That's what I was thinking. I'll go back with the stock system for now. I know eventually I'll put a bigger turbo on the car and do some more performance goodies, but not for a year or two. At least now I've got a great intake setup, for use later!
    Thanks again,
    ~joel