Oil Change - Page 9
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

This is a discussion on Oil Change within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; dino oil is what we get added to our subaru when we go to the subaru dealership and just tell ...

dino oil is what we get added to our subaru when we go to the subaru dealership and just tell them we want a oil change with no further instruction correct?..and dino oil is the oil added by subaru when selling their vehicles right?

if the vehicle isnt driven alot and it got low miles...but its been 3 months. There is no need to get an oil change right? Well since the vehicle is not driven alot.

Also what if you do drive the vehicle pretty often but do so like going to work ..short distances and its been 3 months. Would it be necessary to get an oil change even though your vehicle got low miles?

synthetic oil is performance oil right? it helps the car perform its best...? Would it matter when synthetic oil is added to the vehicle...like if starting to use it during certain miles will affect the car in any way?..either positively or negatively
    someone posted earlier that a worker at a subaru dealership suggested that synthetic oil should be used no earlier than 12k miles. Should I wait tell im around that mileage to switch to synthetic?
    Last edited by STim; 07-05-2004 at 10:17 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Have a look at this thread from the beginning, all the info is there and more. Check out the links too, they've been expanded upon since the original posts were made.

Driving infrequently and short trips would both dictate that mileage is "ignored" and oil changes are done based on time -- in your case, more frequently than the odometre would say. You want to prevent oxidation, fuel dilution, hydration etc.

I have a car that I drive seldom, and change the oil every 500 kms (Why? Because that's about once a year - I'd do it more often but I'm not on the same continent as the car so can't...).

Look back at the previous pages and you'll get specifics on your questions.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Here's a link to oil analysis data from my car, on this forum:
    Synthetic oil data: Mobil 1 used in 2.0L stock motor
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I heard that on the wrx and sti you don't have to do a lube (except for on hingesof doors, hood, seats), is this true?If not what parts do need to be lubed?

Lightbulb

No lube needed. Just oil and filter change.
    "People who believe they are acting with the mandate of God, who see others who don't share their beliefs as inferior in the eyes of God, make dangerous leaders. Just ask Osama Bin Laden." - Ron Reagan Jr.

how often does the gear oil have to be changed? My gear oil is a little past the half way full mark and I was wondering if I should just add more of the oil that is used from factory or change the oil. What gear oil does subaru use? What would be good to change it to either now or later?

this is a dumb question, do the dealers use synth oil. and is it a good idea to get my oil changed at the dealer. i live in so cal. and i was reading that you use 10w-30. do you use that type of oil year round SD GR?? also will synth be good for my first oil change. its an 05
    2005 Aspen White WRX

The dealers do NOT use synthetic oil. They use straight dinosaur oil. The oil recommendation for my car is 5W-30, but living in Southern California, with the mild climate, you can use 10W-30 without problems. And, there should be no problem going with synthetic oil if you want to. A lot of new cars today come with synthetic oil already - Porsche, Corvette, Mercedes-Benz. I would say, go ahead and make the switch to synthetic oil if you really want to. However, it isn't necessary to do so. As long as you keep to the oil change intervals (with dino oil) that the manufacturer provides, your warranty will be covered.
    "People who believe they are acting with the mandate of God, who see others who don't share their beliefs as inferior in the eyes of God, make dangerous leaders. Just ask Osama Bin Laden." - Ron Reagan Jr.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ImPrEzZaNoOb
    this is a dumb question, do the dealers use synth oil. and is it a good idea to get my oil changed at the dealer. i live in so cal. and i was reading that you use 10w-30. do you use that type of oil year round SD GR?? also will synth be good for my first oil change. its an 05
    It's not a dumb question. The dealers do not default to synth oil but will use almost anything you request, as long as you pay the money and are willing to listen to baseless opinions on your choice of oil presented as gospel.

Chances are you will be going to the dealer a couple times for little things and a checkup anyway, so you may as well let them change the oil while you are there I guess. Just make sure they don't scratch your car, that's the main point they might go wrong. I have faith that they don't routinely make a mess of lube jobs, unlike the quick lube industry (avoid if at all possible). I let the dealer do the first few changes then took over and switched to synth. YMMV.

If/when you are ready to start doing your own changes, go to the dealer and get an oil filter, a crush washer, and a receipt. Don't stock up, since you need dated receipts showing regular oil changes for your warranty. Then go pick the oil of your preference, and have at it.

I'd noticed up to ~300 ml consumption per oil drain interval with M1 10W-30 spiked with a bottle or less of M1 15W-50, and had heard good things and seen good data on the new M1 5W-40 "Truck/SUV" so I moved on to that. I saw consumption drop to less than 300 ml, and I got excellent used oil analysis data from the lab when I sent a sample. The second oil change with this oil is now done and the car used no oil that I can measure (meaning it did, like all cars, use some oil, but less than I could crudely measure). The 5W-30 and 10W-30 Mobil1 grades seem to be generated from the same base stock and use the same additive package, whereas I've seen in the data I got that the 5W-40 differs. It lacks moly and adds other elements, so it's a different package. Still, all 3 are quality oils and I'd run any of them without worrying.

Note that 5W-40 is not explicitely listed as a weight in the manual. However, as others have pointed out it is within the ranges listed in the manual, so I'm less nervous about any potential warranty issues (plus, the data show the motor is doing really well).

You will not IMO have a problem using any 5W or 10W M1 grade, or any other quality oil. Our motors are not particularly difficult on oil, as long as you don't redline all day and boost hard all the time.

hey SD_GR i'm using mobil 1 10w-30 synthetic oil, and keep noticing oil loss. When i change the oil, the dipstick is at the second circle (F), but in 4-5 weeks its down to the lower circle. How much oil am i losing here? this has happened the past 3 times ive changed my oil btw.
    2004 WRB 5spd
    catless

I Support ClubWRX
    How many miles between changes?

The next time you change, add 4 qts initially. Don't start the motor, just wait until the oil settles. Then see where 4qts is on the dipstick. On mine, it's roughly at the L mark, but yours may/will vary. Then gradually add more oil until you get to the normal capacity (4.8 qts). That way you'll have "calibrated" your dipstick and will know how much you are using.

i change it every 4000 miles. Right after i put around 4.8 quarts in i check dipstick and its at full, so i think the dipstick is pretty accurate, but it seems like after a month or so it magically disapeers.By the time i change my oil the stick is completly dry so i dont even know how much im losing... Really sucks that a brand new car is already losing so much oil though .
    2004 WRB 5spd
    catless

I Support ClubWRX
    If oil use exceeds a reasonable amount, you should complain. Typically car makers will say 1 qt per 1,000 miles is "normal" but I find that high myself. If you are using 1 qt per oil change, and that's what it sounds like, that's not too bad.

You might try another viscosity and/or another brand. This can reduce consumption a lot depending on the particular motor and oil choices. The 5W-30 and 10W-30 M1 formulations are on the thin side of the spec and you might find your motor prefers a "heavier" 30-weight.

i went to wal-mart to get a oil filter for my 05 wrx. all they have is a FARM extra guard for 04 model.

is it gonna work?

btw, i'll use M1 5-30 syc on my 1400mi wrx. i drove it kind of hard sometime but never got over 5k RPM or 95MPH. do i need to do a tranny oil change too after the break in?

i'm a new driver to stick shift, does that add more weight to changing tranny oil?

thanks.

Exclamation

Transmission oil is fine. Leave it in until whatever the owner's manual says to change it.

As for the filter, I would be wary about it. Check out the oil filter study and see for yourself that the Fram is garbage. Get something a little better. I won't touch Fram.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.