Oil Change - Page 7
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

This is a discussion on Oil Change within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; my dad goes 20,000 MILES between oil changes, uses synthetics.... I'm too scared to do it also, but he's shown ...

my dad goes 20,000 MILES between oil changes, uses synthetics....

I'm too scared to do it also, but he's shown me the evidence... just sucks that we can't get 10w-30 over here... gonna switch to 0w-40 next oil change, which will be soon...
    autobahn storming scooby

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I am nearing the 4k mile mark, and am planning to switch to synthetic then. I see the M1 5w-30 in most stores. But, where do you guys get your M1 0w-40??? I can't seem to find it anywhere! I'd prefer to use that, but, if I can't find it, I guess I'll have to get the M1 5w-30.
    '04 WRB WRX Sedan

I Support ClubWRX
    Autozone carries M1 0W-40 in many markets, as do other regional parts chains.

Mobil are apparently releasing a 0W-30R race oil formulation (that's probably not useful for a road car that sees extended or even reasonable drain intervals, but we'll have to wait and see) and a 5W-40 formulation that they seem to want to label "SUV" oil (this is completely meaningless of course). The 5W-40 seems interesting to me, since their Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 is the hardest to find (truck stops are a good bet).

There's a stink about the Mobil "bike" formula 10W-40 being little more than a re-badged Delvac, but that's neither here nor there...

Meanwhile, other rumours have Mobil going for ACEA A3 spec on their 10W-30 formulation, and I'm excited about that since their 10W-30 is what I use year round in CA. ACEA A3 is the toughest "industry-wide" spec (there are tougher specs like the Merc MB 229.x series and the VAG VW 5xx series or the BMW Long-Life stuff, but the oils that meet those are at the very least ACEA A3 oils).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

WRBFarmer, don't worry - my question will make you look like an expert/! After years of really awful cars, I finally treated myself to an 04 WRX, but I'm definitely "automotively challenged" and I'm afraid I'll mess it up by not treating it right.

I took it to get it's second oil change (at about 6,900 miles) and I was dangerously low on oil. The mechanic asked if I wanted to switch to synthetic oil, but since I didn't know anything about it, I thought I'd wait until the next change and see if I could learn some of the pros and cons. After reading this thread and checking the owners manual, it seems that it won't do any harm and it will help provide some extra protection for the high revving engine. I'll be driving in winter weather, but nothing too extreme and although I drive a lot, I don't drive it too hard.

So is there anything else that I should know about switching to synthetic oil ? Also, do you think it's normal that I'd be that low on oil (and I just need to check it more) or do you think that it might be a sign of a leak? I'm sorry to ask such basic questions, but I do appreciate all I've learned "lurking" here - Thanks!

I Support ClubWRX
    How many miles had you run on the same oil, and at what interval did you check it?

What volume is "dangerously low?"
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I'm embarassed to admit this because I've since learned how stupid I was, but I didn't check it since the last oil change.

I had it changed the first time at just over 3,000 miles and the person who changed it didn't mention anything unusual. I had it changed the second time after about 3,900 additional miles (for a total of 6,900). By dangerously low, I mean well below the level where you are supposed to add oil, but not quite to empty (although I don't think I was too far from that).

I've since read a number of the threads in the back pages and realize I need to check the oil for this engine more frequently than I had to check on my old cars.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes, check whenever you have a chance, it never hurts.

My oil consumption is between 200 and 600 ml of Mobil 1 every 3000 miles, roughly. Straight M1 10W-30 gives the highest consumption; a mix of 3.8 bottles 10W-30 with 1 bottle of 15W-50 gives the lowest.

Oil will be consumed at different rates depending on the environment, chemical properties of the oil, and use patterns -- mechanical issues aside. If you have a leak, you ought to be able to find it, or have your dealer check carefully for one, but in general all cars will use some oil (though in some cars it's nearly negligible, and those owners typically say "I use no oil..."). Most makers say 1 qt per 1000 mi is "OK" though I'd be concerned about a rate that high and change oil types and/or go to the dealer.

There are no concerns worth mentioning regarding your switch to synthetics, but you must follow the viscosity and oil change interval recommendations in the manual to maintain your warranty.

Thanks!

I just bought a WRX and it has its factory oil in it. What comes in it out of the factory and if it is just regular oil, should i step to a full synthetic or is a synthetic blend okay.

i have heard from mechanics that if you wait too long to go full synthetic that you run the chances of seals leaking due to the lack of detergents that conventional oil has.

thanks

oh yeah, i have also heard that synthetic oils are better for turbochargers?!?!?!?!?!?! i hear lots of things though, and i am not a mechanic, so i dont know what to believe! haha. thanks again.

I Support ClubWRX
    Have a look at the thread from the beginning. Basically though, *any* API SL 5W-30 oil changed at 3750 mile intervals (or up to 7500 mile intervals depending on your situation) will be adequate for a motor life of 60,001 miles.

Beyond that, you have too many choices to list really.

If your seals have deteriorated a good synthetic will be coming out of them within 10K miles of switching IMO. If your seals are fine, a good synthetic will keep them that way as long as possible.

A typical conventional oil will probably have a lower flash point and volatility than a good synthetic, and will tend to respond to shearing forces not quite as well as a good synthetic. This trend will get more pronounced as the oil change interval gets larger, meaning that if you're going to change oil every 1,000 miles use any API SL oil (the cheapest) but if you want to go beyond 5,000 mile drain intervals take a close look at high quality synthetics, again IMO.

There are many synthetic blends that are quite good, and many full synthetics that are not synthetic at all. To figure all this out you can either use trial and error or look for used oil analysis data from owners with the same vehicle you have. Subaru motors seem to be setting a trend for being easy on their oil, though they might snack on a little now and then depending on the area, use, and the type of oil.

Find the link to the Subaru used oil analysis spreadsheet form, I think it's on this thread and I know I posted it. You'll end up with info from a variety of vehicles and a variety of oils, and you'll see how each faired so you can make up your mind.

I switched to synth at 12K. Others have done it sooner, some have done it later, some never go to synth. I just changed oil yesterday, after another 5,000 mile drain interval. I used M1 10W-30 again, a fresh drain plug crush washer, and a Purolator filter that I pre-filled with oil before installing. I then went extra-anal-retentive and gave the ignition key two or three minute turns so that the motor would turn over without catching. Then when it finally caught on the oil pressure light *never* lit. This was a useless psycho thing to do at 12 am on a weekday, but I did it...

Subaru tells me that synthetic oil should not be used until 12k miles. Supposedly the rings are not completely seated until then.

I guess I will wait until then - (don't want to give them ANY little excuse for warranty issues).

Originally posted by cliff201
    Subaru tells me that synthetic oil should not be used until 12k miles. Supposedly the rings are not completely seated until then.
    Those monkeys told me I could put syth in mine after the first 3K, which I did. I've been using Mobile 1 5w 30 for the last 13,000 miles. So far no problems (that I can tell.)

-MacGomez-
    '04 Java Black Impreza WRX Wagon
    Minor mods, nothing spectacular (yet!)

Remember some cars come with M1 syn from the FACTORY!

I switched to it at 10k after doing alot of research, this number seems to be the safe bet! YMMV.

-Dave

BTW: Im nuts, I stil change it at 3,000 also
    '12 WRB Sedan

FYI,

When you buy a new Audi S4/A4 or whatever, the recommended oil change interval is 10,000 miles. I believe BMW is similar.