Oil Change - Page 12
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

This is a discussion on Oil Change within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by ej20mightymouse I was wondering if any one else was losing oil. i have an 04 wrx with ...

Quote Originally Posted by ej20mightymouse View Post
    I was wondering if any one else was losing oil. i have an 04 wrx with 16k miles and when i checked the oil the other day, it was a quart and a half low!!! i immediatly called the dealership, and the guy at the service dept said if the car is driven hard on a daily basis, oil will burn out of the engine at about one quart every thousand miles. just wondering if he is full of **** or if anyone else knows of this
    just wandering did anybody reply cause im havin same problem

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by djextort View Post
    Just purchased a new 07 WRX with 13 miles on it. I'm at about 500 miles right now, and was just wondering if it is recommended to get the oil changed at 1k miles? What are the pros/cons of doing so...

I apologize if this has been covered; however, I'm at work and don't have the luxury of reading the entire post (have skimmed a lot of it though).

Also, I live in Chicago, so we have cold winters and reasonably warm/humid summers. What is the best oil to use in the car? I've never had a turbo charged vehicle so I want to make sure I follow all the steps to keep my car running at tip top shape.

Thanks.
    How often are you going to be changing the oil in your car? I don't drive it much. So, I change every 3 months. During the warmer months, I use 10W-30 (I last changed it in February w/ 10W-30). When it gets colder, I switch to 5W-30 (usually for one oil change out of 4). I don't use synthetic, but as long as you adhere to the change schedule with dinosaur oil, it won't void your warranty.

You can change the oil at 1K miles, I did. But, if you left it in till your first scheduled oil change, that won't be a problem. I just liked getting rid of the metallic objects in the oil/oil filter at 1K miles.
    "People who believe they are acting with the mandate of God, who see others who don't share their beliefs as inferior in the eyes of God, make dangerous leaders. Just ask Osama Bin Laden." - Ron Reagan Jr.

Just purchased a new 07 WRX with 13 miles on it. I'm at about 500 miles right now, and was just wondering if it is recommended to get the oil changed at 1k miles? What are the pros/cons of doing so...

I apologize if this has been covered; however, I'm at work and don't have the luxury of reading the entire post (have skimmed a lot of it though).

Also, I live in Chicago, so we have cold winters and reasonably warm/humid summers. What is the best oil to use in the car? I've never had a turbo charged vehicle so I want to make sure I follow all the steps to keep my car running at tip top shape.

Thanks.
    SOA will not say to change your oil at 1k but I would!!!!!!! I would change all of your driveline fluids also..Reason being is that there will be a lot of debris from the machining/manufacturing process and just from normal break in of all of your driveline componets, meaning a lot of debris/metal flakes causing wear. I did my first oil change @ 1k with all of the driveline and went straight to Synthetic oil. There are a lot of opinions as far as what is the best oil to use, I personally use nothing but Amsoil in all of the driveline but here is a link to what SOA recomends for 06+ wrx.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1259545
    Last edited by 06grayrex; 05-10-2007 at 06:41 AM.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #666
    Stage 2

Quote Originally Posted by photog72 View Post
    How often are you going to be changing the oil in your car?
    It's my daily driver, typically all my driving is to and from work 25-30 miles a day. I will keep the oil changes at every 3 months or 3k miles, just trying to figure out if I should go ahead and get it changed a 1k miles and switch to synthetic oil. Seems to be differing opinions on the subject so I figured I would try to get as much information as I could and then make a decision. I'm at about 550 miles right now. Trying to adhere to the break in procedures as much as possible although I know I have broken the rules a few times....just so hard to resist

Any and all info/opinions at this point would be a big help.

Everyone has their own opinion as to whether or not to use synthetics or stay on dinosaur oil. I am not going to be pushing my car on the track nor on the street. I let the oil get up to operating temperature before I shut the car down. If you keep the regular schedule of oil changes, you shouldn't need to go to synthetic oil. I think synthetics are a waste of money in a car that doesn't require them. That's just my opinion, but others differ. Good luck.
    "People who believe they are acting with the mandate of God, who see others who don't share their beliefs as inferior in the eyes of God, make dangerous leaders. Just ask Osama Bin Laden." - Ron Reagan Jr.

hey everyone i am using the 10w30 synthetic oil because i heard thats good for turbo cars. can anyone back that up?

It's my daily driver, typically all my driving is to and from work 25-30 miles a day. I will keep the oil changes at every 3 months or 3k miles, just trying to figure out if I should go ahead and get it changed a 1k miles and switch to synthetic oil. Seems to be differing opinions on the subject so I figured I would try to get as much information as I could and then make a decision. I'm at about 550 miles right now. Trying to adhere to the break in procedures as much as possible although I know I have broken the rules a few times....just so hard to resist

Any and all info/opinions at this point would be a big help.
    You should switch to synthetic, now what brand is up to you but once you do you will notice an improvement in how the engine idles smoother, cooler, quieter, and will have less wear due to reduction in friction, the transmission will shift smoother and run cooler and the same with the differentials. I suggest you read as much information on synthetic oils and the answer will be quite clear. Just some food for thought.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #666
    Stage 2

I use a fumoto valve instead of the old drain plug and it makes changing the oil faster than a Nascar Pit Stop. Sometimes I might miss the first minute or so of a show if I try to do it while the commercials are on.
    2006 Baby Girl
    2005 Yamaha FJR1300
    2005 Honda Shadow
    2004 WRX

GO VOLS!!!!!

got my oil changed at 1767 miles and used 5w30 m1 synthetic. Wasn't shure what type of oil on my transmission fluid so I didn't change it. I really want to though... just to get rid of all my break in fluids >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Acrdys View Post
    got my oil changed at 1767 miles and used 5w30 m1 synthetic. Wasn't shure what type of oil on my transmission fluid so I didn't change it. I really want to though... just to get rid of all my break in fluids >.<
    I'm planning to use the Subaru Extra S fluid for my diff and trans. If you're interested in it, do a search.
    Blobeye Syndicate #035
    Cobb Stage 2

quick question.... it says to use 5w-30. and from reading, seems like most of ya'll are using 10w-30. i went to the dealership today (Sherman Oaks Subaru, CA). and asked if i could use 10w-30. Apparently, the guy said its too thick and should only be used in super cold weather.

Whats goin on here? Btw, i'm using mobil 1 synthetic. Thanks.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrwrx View Post
    quick question.... it says to use 5w-30. and from reading, seems like most of ya'll are using 10w-30. i went to the dealership today (Sherman Oaks Subaru, CA). and asked if i could use 10w-30. Apparently, the guy said its too thick and should only be used in super cold weather.

Whats goin on here? Btw, i'm using mobil 1 synthetic. Thanks.
    Use 5w-30 in the winter. 10w-30 if it is going to be above 100 degrees for a long period of time. 10w-30 is thicker.

I agree. Use 5W-30 in cool/cold weather. Switch to 10W-30 for late spring, summer, early fall weather. That's what I do up here in the northeast.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Not-EWRX View Post
    Use 5w-30 in the winter. 10w-30 if it is going to be above 100 degrees for a long period of time. 10w-30 is thicker.
    Mobil1 5W-30 is "thicker" than Mobil 1 10W-30. Not a typo. The 5W-30 is "thicker."

Stats are available on Mobil's web page. Compare viscosities at cold start and at operating temperature, and you'll see the 5W-30 is higher at operating temp.

Given this, there's no reason to not use M1 5W-30 year round almost anywhere with temperatures above -10&#186; C or so, unless one is concerned with consumption (in my motor, the 5W was used a bit more than the 10W for reasons neither I nor Mobil ever understood).

From Mobil1.com:
    M1 5W-30 cSt @ 100&#186; C 11.3
    M1 10W-30 cSt @ 100&#186; C 10.0
    Last edited by SD_GR; 01-01-2008 at 05:46 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Not-EWRX View Post
    Just an FYI- 5w-30 & 10w-30 oils should have virtually identical properties in high temperatures.

The "W" in XW-XX stands for winter and is a factor of how the chemical additive package causes the oil to act "thinner" at cold temperatures.

5w-30 oil is "30 weight" oil that acts like "5 weight" oil in low temps.
    10w-30 oil is "30 weight" oil that acts like "10 weight" oil in low temps.
    Last edited by devilfluff; 01-02-2008 at 06:26 AM.
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums