Oil Change - Page 10
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

This is a discussion on Oil Change within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by photog72 As for the filter, I would be wary about it. Check out the oil filter study ...

Quote Originally Posted by photog72
    As for the filter, I would be wary about it. Check out the oil filter study and see for yourself that the Fram is garbage. Get something a little better. I won't touch Fram
    Don't know if it's still true these days, but Fram used to be made with parafan, which is really bad for your engine.
    2005 World Rally Blue WRX Sportwagon
    Biatch totalled my 2002 WRB WRX Sportwagon
    I miss my bugeye.
    Image is nothing, performance is everything. All your rice be ownz by us.
    If you're not going to spend your money on women or alcohol, you might as well spend it on cars.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i already had my first oil change before had a chance to read your post.

do you recommand me to have another oil change within a couple of days?

the FARM double guard oil filter + Mobile one 5W30 costed me $35.

just wondering... walmart sells only two brands of oil filter and 90% on the shelf are FARM. if FARM is really bad, then most cars on the road are having problems.

but i also believe wrx is no ordinary cars so it must take some special care.

thanks,

ray

Transmission oil is fine. Leave it in until whatever the owner's manual says to change it.

As for the filter, I would be wary about it. Check out the oil filter study and see for yourself that the Fram is garbage. Get something a little better. I won't touch Fram.

Exclamation

How much is your engine worth to you? You shouldn't need a new oil change. Just take that filter out and throw it away. Replace it with something else that was recommended in that study. Check your dipstick and fill it with the oil that escapes when you change the filter. Shouldn't cost too much more. I know people who wouldn't put fram on even their beater cars (including myself)!
    "People who believe they are acting with the mandate of God, who see others who don't share their beliefs as inferior in the eyes of God, make dangerous leaders. Just ask Osama Bin Laden." - Ron Reagan Jr.

thanks for your advise.

I'll do that ASAP.

but one question, when i do the oil change, as soon as i pull out the oil nut, the warm engine oil shots out like crazy. the engine is warm and the oil cap is not removed and the oil filter is also inplace.

after i wait until the oil dripped completely, i remove the oil filter, then there are still a lot of oil come out from the oil filter place.

so, even if i just replace the oil filter, i think most of the oil will be gone by the time the new filter gets in place.

it's 05 wrx wagon and the oil filter is bottom mounted verticallly.

also, i didn't remove the plaste cover while changing oil. should i remove it?

am i doing something wrong or it's normal that the oil flows that quickly?

ray

How much is your engine worth to you? You shouldn't need a new oil change. Just take that filter out and throw it away. Replace it with something else that was recommended in that study. Check your dipstick and fill it with the oil that escapes when you change the filter. Shouldn't cost too much more. I know people who wouldn't put fram on even their beater cars (including myself)!

Quote Originally Posted by WRayX
    thanks for your advise.

I'll do that ASAP.

but one question, when i do the oil change, as soon as i pull out the oil nut, the warm engine oil shots out like crazy. the engine is warm and the oil cap is not removed and the oil filter is also inplace.

after i wait until the oil dripped completely, i remove the oil filter, then there are still a lot of oil come out from the oil filter place.

so, even if i just replace the oil filter, i think most of the oil will be gone by the time the new filter gets in place.

it's 05 wrx wagon and the oil filter is bottom mounted verticallly.

also, i didn't remove the plaste cover while changing oil. should i remove it?

am i doing something wrong or it's normal that the oil flows that quickly?

ray
    Just use the Fram for this cycle and change to another make next oil change- 4,000 miles with the Fram isn't going to harm anything. Though I don't use them in the WRX, I got 200,000 miles out of my previous two cars with Fram filters and never had any problems.
    2009 WRX 5Door- Silver
    2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crewmax
    1957 Willy's CJ3B, '73 Corvette Yellow

I use M1 5w-30 and a mobil oil filter...i dont drive my car much since im at school most of the year...i only have 4790miles on her and ive had her since march im probably goin to do my intervals at 4 or 5k
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

just wondering... walmart sells only two brands of oil filter and 90% on the shelf are FARM. if FARM is really bad, then most cars on the road are having problems.
    I wouldn't only shop Walmart for auto products. They only sell whatever is cheapest, and you get what you pay for. I only buy Mobil 1 there.
    I miss my bugeye.
    If you're not going to spend your money on women or alcohol, you might as well spend it on cars.

when i do the oil change, as soon as i pull out the oil nut, the warm engine oil shots out like crazy. the engine is warm and the oil cap is not removed and the oil filter is also inplace.
    If you just take off the filter without unbolting the oil nut, you only loose the oil in the filter. Just top off the new filter with oil and replace.

For you experts out there, is it bad to change the oil on a cold engine? The manual says to do it with a warm engine, but I've always done it on a cold engine. The one time I changed it after a drive instead of sitting over night in the garage, the oil squirted all over the place including inside the right wheel rim and made a mess of my garage floor even though I had spread newspapers beforehand. I do run the engine until normal temp right after the initial fill to get the oil into the engine and check the dipstick again and add if necessary.
    I miss my bugeye.

very curious what does SAE mean?, how many bottles do i need to put after draining and putting the filter? and where exactly do you need to jack up the car from? is it the side, or the front? i am about to do my first oil change this friday, hopefully its not raining.
    Last edited by ImPrEzZaNoOb; 12-28-2004 at 09:12 PM.
    2005 Aspen White WRX

SAE = Society of Automotive Engineers
    SAE+number is probably some standard.

Somewhere, a FAQ said to put in 4 quarts, run the engine until warm to get the oil into the engine, then add and check the dipstick until it's at the correct level.

You don't need to jack up the car to change the oil, but I do since I like to see what I'm doing underneath and prefer to lie on a mechanic's cart instead of the dirty floor.
    I miss my bugeye.

i went to walmart and i saw mobile sae 5w-30 is thats the right one? its called clean driver or some thing, is there a specific oil i should buy from mobil?
    2005 Aspen White WRX

Mobil 1 5W-30 is perfect for the car, in the fact that it is the weight of the oil that the car is sold with new. You can go w/ Mobil 1 without worry.

http://www.mobil1.com/index.jsp

10W-30 Above -4° F
    You can use Mobil 1® with SuperSyn™ 10W-30 with confidence. This viscosity is also available in Mobil Drive Clean Oil™ and Mobil Drive Clean Plus™ High Mileage formula.
    5W-30 Below 104° F
    You can use Mobil 1® with SuperSyn™ 5W-30 with confidence. This viscosity is also available in Mobil Drive Clean Oil™ and Mobil Drive Clean Plus™ – both the Newer Vehicle and High Mileage formulas.
    Last edited by photog72; 12-29-2004 at 01:54 PM.
    "People who believe they are acting with the mandate of God, who see others who don't share their beliefs as inferior in the eyes of God, make dangerous leaders. Just ask Osama Bin Laden." - Ron Reagan Jr.

I Support ClubWRX
    Drive Clean is a good, albeit conventional, motor oil. It meets API SL so it is suitable for use in your car under warranty. Drive Clean Blend is a synthetic blend. Many of use use Mobil1, as this oil is a poly-alpha olefin-based synthetic oil.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

i been using fram filters and mobil one oil from walmart since i bought my sti. STI has 22k miles now and i haven't had a problem. I do oil changes every 2500-3000 miles.
    2004 Subaru Wrx Sti

Fram filters - I will never use them again. Look here for why I will never use 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by isr96
    i been using fram filters and mobil one oil from walmart since i bought my sti. STI has 22k miles now and i haven't had a problem. I do oil changes every 2500-3000 miles.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.