my car smells
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on my car smells within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; does anyone know how to make your car smell new again? my bro in law borrowed my car, smoked in ...

my car smells

does anyone know how to make your car smell new again?

my bro in law borrowed my car, smoked in it, and now it smells like crap. im serious, it also has a smell of body odor also. im guessing this because he drove 200 miles which is about 3-4 hours.

3 hours driving + rain + smoking + body odor =

please help me! the smell is noxious and makes me want to puke. i also don't want that artificial scent either (bad experience).

NO MORE NEW CAR SMELL FOR ME

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ew, sorry to hear bout your stinky car. thats why nobody drives mine but me!

my GF let her sister borrow her car and she smokes like a chimney. we bought a bottle of that Febreeze (sp?). sprayed all the seats, carpets, and headliner. works great.

hope that helps

I don't think you can get the new car smell back, but there are some things you can do. Start by shampooing the carpets and mats, and Febreeze the headliner like Sac suggested. You can also remove the seat fabric and have it dry cleaned. (I don't know how you'd do this, but I recently saw someone selling the fabric.)

I'd also recommend picking an Ionic Breeze from Sharper Image.
    http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/ca...id=2&catid=202

Go to town with the Febreeze or similar odor neutralizing product. Afterwords, stop by your local full service car wash. They usually have scented sprays that make the car smell nice. My car wash has everything from lemon to "new car smell."

I think your brother deserves an ass whooping for smoking in your car.
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

The key to removing odor from your car effectively, you must clean your upholstry. You can mask or neutralize odors, but the car will still have a "funk" to it.

If you have time, rent an upholstry cleaner, or just buy one.

Take out your seats and clean them with 1 part Tide to every half gallon of water in the reservoir. Make sure all the water is vacummed up. Repeat process with your seats (if cloth)

Scrub your dashboard with a soapy water mixture and DRY WELL. Then, protect your dashboard with Vinylex. Make sure you clean your windows with an amnonia based cleaner. Lastly, headliner. I find that you shouldnt really pay attention to cloth headliners because they can be fragile. Mothers Upholstry Cleaner lifts the dirt safely and use sparingly. Most importantly, dont smoke in your car...and clean all your interior plastic panels with soapy water and protect with Vinylex.

See, I still come around

I'm not sure about getting the smell out - but your bro-in-law should be paying for it. You will feel better if you hurt your bro-in-law physically too!!

I would be soooooooo dark if someone did that to my car.

thanks guys,

i've thought about using Febreeze but i am concerned if the febreeze itself will leave a scent behind also?

im not a big fan of aftermarket scents

the ionic breeze suggestion is really good. I might invest some money in it but does anyone know if it works and how well it works? i'd just want some feedback before i spend 40 dollars on it.

cleaning the upholstery sounds like a good weekend project for me

later

Funny, when it rained last week, my car had this faint odor of pot. Yeah, yeah, I know what you're thinking, but I'm a friggin boyscout and only know the smell from my Dad's occasional "Baked Weekend" and rock shows. Anyone else smell Mary Jane in their year old WRX? (it's real faint)

PS As a chemist, wanted to add that the "new car scent" is actually totally bad to breath for extended periods. It's cool and all, but it's mostly organic solvents used to make plastic/synthetic parts, which is everything inside most new cars. It's probably a good thing that it goes away eventually!!

that's cool....i can get high from the "new car smell"

haha.....im not sure about the weed smell though......i've never smelled weed before

Wait, you only know the smell of weed from your dads partys?

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by aussieinstlouis
    I'm not sure about getting the smell out - but your bro-in-law should be paying for it. You will feel better if you hurt your bro-in-law physically too!!

I would be soooooooo dark if someone did that to my car.
    His eye would be pretty dark if he smoked in my car!
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Originally posted by GV27
    His eye would be pretty dark if he smoked in my car!
    w3rd...and parts of his bruised body would be dark as well.
    lambosv21

Mine smells faintly like weed,
    Have no idea where it comes from .

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by klancek
    Anyone else smell Mary Jane in their year old WRX? (it's real faint)
    I believe you. Even non-ganjisti can get that smell. My car began smelling suspiciously like someone'd done a bowlful just outside it. It's filth/mold/etc buildup in the AC vents. Open your windows, set the vents to in-your-face, and drive about with the AC off and the blower on. There's also stuff designed to kill off the organisms in the vents but I've not used it. If you have the optional air filtration system, maybe a filter change would help too.

If you have Bob Marley CDs in the player, remove them.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Originally posted by Shard
    Wait, you only know the smell of weed from your dads partys?
    Uh, yeah. One of those psychological "learn how not to live your life from your Dad" kind of things. Just kiddin Dad

SD_GR Cool! So I have pot growing in my AC vents?!? No, wait, I see, just spores molds and fungus. Well I guess it's time to do as you suggested and blow themout. Thanks for the suggestion

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.