HELP!! I need to fight my insurance company (for a total loss)!!!

This is a discussion on HELP!! I need to fight my insurance company (for a total loss)!!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello all. I will hopefully be getting my new 2004 WRX shortly, but for now I have a huge problem. ...

Exclamation HELP!! I need to fight my insurance company (for a total loss)!!!

Hello all.

I will hopefully be getting my new 2004 WRX shortly, but for now I have a huge problem.

My current (and soon to be former) vehicle was stolen and stripped. The odometer was taken from the car (which had ~26,000 miles on it). I have been told that if the car is repaired that the title will be changed to reflect the car as a "TMU" or "True Mileage Unknown", which will essentially make it quite worthless to anyone. Can anyone give me information or advice to help me make this car a total loss? I can't wait to get my new car...nevermind the fact that I am now housebound and can't get to school or work (my insurance company won't pay for a rental until they "finish their investigation").

Help!

Thanks,
    Negated

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

They won't pay for a rental until they finish the investigation? Please tell who this insurance company is. Yup, they will try and hold on to their money as long as possible, but I believe they have to pay you for rental costs (up to a certain amount) that you incur now, once they have finished the investigation. So look up your policy and verify how much they will pay per day for a rental and go lookin. As long as there is no way they can say that you stole your own car, then they are going to have to pay you for what you were insured.

What exactly did they strip out of the car? did they take any powertrain components? Can you find anywhere that has numbers to back up the devaluation of your vehicle due to the TMU? If the market value of the vehicle is proved to be lower, then I would argue they make up the difference since they are supposed to replace or give you market value.
    clutch, shift, gas, clutch, shift, gas, shift, clutch, gas, clutch gas, shift... oops!

Hire a lawyer.
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

When you get your rental, stop by McD's for a happy meal- ask for an extra tray- then go traysliding in their parking lot until they pony up the cash.

Seriously, as Retro said, get your policy out. Then start writing letters, sending e-mails and making phone calls- call the better business bureau if they're in violation of your policy. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

And if you can't get it totalled at the very least get the deminished value of the car. You don't need to know how to figure it the insurance companys all use the same formula. Just for a example if you have about $3000 damages which are cosmetic not structual then your car would probably have a deminished value of $600 bucks (which is just money in your pocket). I have had this experience unfortunately with my last car. Good luck just stay on them.
    --Tony

2002.5 Mazda Protege5
    1997 Mazda Miata STO Edition #774-1500 (Sold)
    2003 WRX Silver Sedan
    -STi Grill
    -STi Projectors
    -Aust Spec 17' wheels