Brands & Types of oil - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

This is a discussion on Brands & Types of oil within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Back from the dead Anyways, I was looking through my owners manual last night and found this little tidbit of ...

Back from the dead

Anyways, I was looking through my owners manual last night and found this little tidbit of information.

From page #11-14
    -Recommended grade and viscostiy under severe driving conditions.

If the vehicle is used in desert areas with very high temperatures, or used for heavy-duty applications such as towing a trailer, use of oil with the following grade and viscosities is recommended.

API classification SL or SJ or SH:
    SAE viscosity No.: 30, 40, 10W-50, 20W-40, 20W-50
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Yup, bdoub, I saw that too. Oddly enough it doesn't leave us too many options in the US. Redline make a good 10W-40 and I believe it is SJ. I think Delvac 1 is SL, and it is certainly Mobil's flagship product - a very robust fleet oil. It differs from M1 in that it lacks moly entirely as far as I know. Either your initial choice, M1 0W-40, or Delvac 1 should provide outstanding protection. NEITHER will meet warranty requirements, which aggravates me to no end - I want to use either of these myself!!! It's a shame really.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Yeah, we are really limited to choices as far as the manual is concerned.

Im running M1 5W-30 now, but I'm going to change to M1 0W-40 or Delvac 1 at my next oil change. I am having a hard time tracking down some Delvac 1, all the stores around here only carry Delvac 1300. Looks like it's time for a road trip to the local truck stop

Mobil Delvac 1 meets the requirements of:
    - API Service CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF, SL, SJ
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

I Support ClubWRX
    I think either M1 0W-40 or D1 5W-40 would do an excellent job, and you'd be hard pressed to find a better oil under any circumstances - even if you did, I'd have to wonder if it would make any difference at all over the course of the motor's lifetime. IOW I think you've hit the point of decreasing returns beyond those two oils, which are truly excellent on paper and in practive - I've seen great data on both.

On the oil site mentioned before, someone was nice enough to post an entire spreadsheet of analysis data exclusively from Subaru. His own WRX is included. You might want to have a look and see what you can expect from a wide selection of oils. I'm thinking of sticking with M1 10W-30. It's not in the same league as the M1 OW-40 or D1 5W-40 (it's ACEA A5, not A3, but the two standards are both quite stringent and A5 still specifies very good oils) but it is specifically mentioned in the owner's manual as an acceptable weight, which the other two are not. I don't expect anyone using any of these oils to have an oil-related failure, but I simply don't want the 1 in 1 thousand potential for a hassle. I'm chickening out, basically... Sigh...

Say, are you seeing any consumption? Does the level drop between oil changes? Do you have to top up? I'm shooting for 4 to 5 K drain intervals, and my gut feeling is that the 10W-30 will be more stable than the 5W-30 you'd used up to now. Any comments?
    SD

PS I'd urge all members to check out the used oil analysis spreadsheet.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I use moble1 oil and filters There filters are one of the best fram is crap all of them http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/ Check this site out for a good study. For those of us who like to see rather than hear about it

FF.
    04 WRB/GOLD WRX STI
    Blitz SUS intake
    Blitz DD BOV
    Blitz NUR Spec R Cat-back
    Blitz SBC ID @ 17.0 PSI
    Buschur Racing Down pipe
    Exedy Clutch

I've lost maybe 1/4 quart in the past 2,000 miles

tan
    The original study

http://minimopar.net/oilfilterstudy.html

I use moble1 oil and filters There filters are one of the best fram is crap all of them http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/ Check this site out for a good study. For those of us who like to see rather than hear about it
    If you actually read the study from its original source, not all Fram are crap. In fact, for the Fram Toughguard filters, which is one of the recommended filters

http://minimopar.net/oilfilters.html:

Even with all the problems of the other Fram filters, this one is not too bad. It has a heavier filter element with more surface area, a silicone anti-drainback valve, the cheap pressure relief valve, but with a clever integral screen to keep out large particles, and enough inlet holes for good flow. The only other drawback to this filter is that it is capped on each end with cardboard instead of metal. Looking in through the center outlet does not reveal any paper end caps, but they are there.
    Last edited by tan; 04-12-2003 at 10:57 AM.

I read it but as it says the cardbroad ends are a drawback which IMO make it crap.

FF
    04 WRB/GOLD WRX STI
    Blitz SUS intake
    Blitz DD BOV
    Blitz NUR Spec R Cat-back
    Blitz SBC ID @ 17.0 PSI
    Buschur Racing Down pipe
    Exedy Clutch

Here is another oil filter review http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml

I Support ClubWRX
    1/4 quart of the the 5W-30 sounds fine, that's nothing. Good. I am betting the D1 or M1 0W-40 will be even less volatile. I lost about 1/3 qt of dealer xxW-30 in 3000 miles; it was dealer dino juice of unknown origins, quality, or weight.

Just changed to M1 10W-30 and will keep tabs on it. I'm hoping to see similar good results. I do mixed driving in a warm, somewhat dusty climate. Thanks for the info!
    SD

EDIT: Just found out the dealer features Valvoline oils. Is the US Valvoline have an indifferent additive package throughout their range, and there is no GroupIV synthetic offering anyway. I really expect better results with M1.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 04-15-2003 at 01:34 PM.

FYI
    I talked with differnet local mechanics that suggest using 15w-50w oil (and synthetic). The 5w-30 doesnt cover all the heat range. Plus the 15w min cold temp is ~ -45 deg F.

I was poking around the net and some are suggesting 0w-40.

They sure do make oil choice confussing. Even though it is straight foward. The entire descision will rely on your local environment and driving conditions.
    Last edited by Mikrom; 04-18-2003 at 06:17 PM.
    Perrin Short Ram
    Perrin Radiator Hoses
    Perrin Crank Pulley
    Turbo XS Stealth Back

I switched to M1 5W-30 at 2500 miles. However, I am going to switch to M1 0W-40 at my next oil change.

Here is what Subaru has to say about synthetic engine oil.

Orig. posted by EIonJess.
    I sent an email to Subarau at mysubaru.com concerning the use of synthetic oil. Here is the response below. Take for what it's worth.

Thank you for contacting the Subaru Web site, and congratulations on the purchase of your '02 Impreza WRX! We hope that you are enjoying this exciting model!

As for synthetic oil, this is your decision. Our Technical Services Department advised that if you do decide to use synthetic oil, that you always use it because your engine will become accustomed to it. The same goes if you decide to use 'regular' oil.

We recommend that you first change the oil in your WRX at 3,000 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first. We STRONGLY recommend that you at least wait until the break-in period of 1,000 miles is surpassed.

The break-in period of the engine requires that a given amount of friction exists between components. The piston rings need to rub against the cylinder wall to break-in or finely tune the machine mating between the two metal parts. To properly seat all mechanical components, a certain amount of friction is required between the metal parts. Since synthetic oil has a lower friction rating than regular oil, we recommend that Subaru owners wait until after the 1,000 mile break-in period to switch to synthetic engine oil.

Synthetic engine oils can be used in our engines if the user follows the engine oil recommendations prescribed in the Owner's Manual. Subaru has not tested the compatibility of all synthetic oils with engine seals, but the petroleum industry does adhere to standards for the refining process which meet Subaru requirements. Subaru does not guarantee the performance of any brand of any engine oil.

Engine Oil Guidelines: - only use engine oil that meets or exceeds the API classification designated in the Owner's Manual for the vehicle - only use engine oil that meets the VISCOSITY requirements for the ambient temperatures under which the vehicle will be operated as outlined in the Owner's Manual - THE ENGINE OIL MUST BE CHANGED AT THE INTERVALS SPECIFIED IN THE WARRANTY AND MAINTENANCE BOOKLET FOR THE VEHICLE. SOME SYNTHETIC OIL REFINERS RECOMMEND EXTENDED OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. SUBARU DOES NOT RECOMMEND ANY DEVIATION FROM THE SPECIFIED INTERVALS IN THE OWNER'S MANUAL.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance.

Oils

My 2 cents..

This whole 'oil' business gets annoying. The grade I want to use the dang owner's manual says I can't (15w-50).

I've had a Porsche mechanic/racer/mod-man tell me to go with M1 15w-50 synthetic oil. I tried to tell him, "Subaru will void my warranty!!" He stared at me like I was calling him a liar and he proceded to tell me to use Mobil 1 15w-50 anyway...like Subaru will ever find out. It is true you'll lose some MPG but it might be a 1/10 of a mile per gallon or so but he made it quite clear for turbos that run hot it will assist in engine longevity. Then he finished his speech off with , " I would prefer to have my car last longer than be worried over a minor MPG loss."

Thought everyone might like a view point from other "turbo" car owners, that make their turbos glow red...
    Last edited by Mikrom; 04-21-2003 at 05:39 PM.
    Perrin Short Ram
    Perrin Radiator Hoses
    Perrin Crank Pulley
    Turbo XS Stealth Back

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345