Brands & Types of oil - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Brands & Types of oil within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Couldnt resist...

Couldnt resist
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscn0370.jpg  
    2002 Black Wagon WRX
    315HP With the PM-ID

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Another
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscn0369.jpg  
    2002 Black Wagon WRX
    315HP With the PM-ID

Mobil 1 0w-40 Weight

The Mobil 1 0w-40 weight is factory fill on my AMG and I am having a tough time coming up with a reason I shouldn't use this in my WRX once I switch to synthetic. (I am going to wait until at least 7,000 miles before switching to Mobil 1.)

The problem with 15w-50 is the flow at cold temps; I did switch to it on my AMG because I rarely drive it in the cold of a winter morning and I decided I'll go back to 0w-40 next oil change. The other thing is that theory says the heavier oil will soak up a little bit of power. 0w-40 should address all these concerns and be a good all season viscosity. I read the temp chart on viscosity in the owner's manual and it only recommends 5w-30 up to 100 degrees F. Here in Virginia in the summer on the highway in a traffic jam temps will go well above 100 degrees.

The 0w-40 used to only be available at Mercedes dealers but you can now get it at AutoZone.

MisterX - I do understand what you say about flow properties not being a problem with a 15w-50 synthetic but the 0w-40 will flow more quickly at cold temps compared to the 15w. It's obvious if you check by pouring some out of the bottle of each on a cold morning.
    Last edited by Carl AMG; 02-24-2003 at 10:16 AM.
    2003 Subaru WRX Sedan 5 spd.
    Platinum Silver, TurboXS Stage 3 and lots of other goodies. See profile.

2002 Mercedes Benz C32 AMG

2005 Lotus Elise on order

I used 15W50 cause i live in Brazil and you cant imagine how its hot here,,all year long.
    The specs of my REX says 15W50 Synthetic.
    Tuca
    2002 Black Wagon WRX
    315HP With the PM-ID

redline

I Support ClubWRX
    When I first go my car, I waited until 2000 miles to change the break in oil. Then I switched to synthetic and ever since used Mobil 1. No dino oil for me.

CASTROL GTX "DRIVE HARD" !!
    Aspen White 2003 WRX
    COBB STG 2
    SQC #076

Royal Purple!

I buy into the theory that under severe use the synthetics keep their properties much better than petroleum based oils, and even that under severe use a slightly higher grade of oil could provide some additional degree of protection. However there are two factors that override all of this. First, the overwhelming majority of engine wear occurs during the first few second of start up, so a lower viscosity oil like 5, even 0, works best since it flows sooner. Second, once an engine has reached operating temperatures there is a certain amount of clearance between the rod to crank journals that must be constantly lubricated by a thin film of oil. CAFE concerns aside, the engineer picks the oil viscosity to best perform with that bearing clearance. Too thick of an oil, and lubrication is incomplete, to thin of an oil for the clearance and the oil film does not provide enough lubrication. Both instances are bad.
    So the way I interpret all this data is if my owner's manual recommends 5W30 then I can safely play with 0W30 or even 10W30 for everyday driving, especially in cooler climates. If I take it to the track and drive the car hard then synthetic is an absolute must, and I would substitute a quart of 15W50 or 20W50 for one of the lower viscosity quarts. This is not scientific, but rather a safety margin on my part to help ward off degradation of the oilís upper viscosity rating.

I Support ClubWRX

Motul 6100

Tuca the Motul you posted is a very acceptable oil. In the USA it's not a viable option since it's not widely available, and our manual does not allow 15W-50 (though it does allow 10W-30, 40, or 50; so our manual also excludes M1 15W-50!). I believe the Motul 6100 is a GroupII or III mixed with Group V ester synthetic. The ACEA A3/B3 spec listed is quite demanding, as is the MB229.1, so the oil should be very robust and hold up quite well. The latest specs are ACEA A3/B3-02 and MB229.3, I think, but no matter, you won't harm anything by using this oil and your motor should be fine. Follow your manual's change intervals religiously and keep all your receipts while under warranty, and you ought to be just fine.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

But this OIL is the best from MOTUL??
    Cause i will buy more this week and want to know if MOTUL have a better oil.
    Thanks
    Tuca
    2002 Black Wagon WRX
    315HP With the PM-ID

I Support ClubWRX
    Motul also make an 8000 series oil and their 300v range, the latter being fully ester-based synthetics. On paper all are good oils, with the 300s coming out on top. You might want to talk to dealers/owners locally and see what they've gotten the best results from; all 3 oils are very competent. My guess is that your motor will not have oil-related problems using any of the 3 oils. If it were me, I'd ask around and see what people prefer of the range, and see if they have issues with consumption or thinning, and what drain intervals they are following, and the cost, then decide. But to answer your initial question yes, there are other Motul oils too.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

TucaThanks,,I will try to find out.
    2002 Black Wagon WRX
    315HP With the PM-ID

More info than you will ever need on oil,filters,additives, etc.

www.bobistheoilguy.com

Go to the forums...........

I've been checking out that site that Barry posted (thanks Barry ) and I noticed a lot of people running Mobil Delvac 1 in their cars. Delvac is a full synthetic oil that was made for diesel engines. It does meet the current API SJ standard for gasoline engines and is only avalible in 5W-40. From what I've read it's a more robust version of standard M1 synthetic, although it also carries a robust price (around $25 gallon).

I was planning on swithcing to M1 0w-40 at my next oil change, but maybe this Delvac will be just the ticket.

Opinions?

Delvac info here http://dallnd6.dal.mobil.com/Apps/DS...a?OpenDocument
    Last edited by bdoug; 03-11-2003 at 07:21 AM.
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast