Brands & Types of oil - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Brands & Types of oil within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was reading my owners manual and i saw that the Subaru recomendations are . Non Turbo Models -Normal Oil ...

Correct Oil Viscosity.

I was reading my owners manual and i saw that the Subaru recomendations are .
    Non Turbo Models -Normal Oil SAE 20W50, API-SJ or superior.
    Turbo Models - Synthetic Oil SAE 15W50 ,PPI-SJ or superior..
    What does that mean??
    For exemple,,what is the difference between 15W50 and 20W50??wich of those is better for my WRX wagon??
    I live in Brazil very Hot all year..
    Thanks
    Tuca
    2002 Black Wagon WRX
    315HP With the PM-ID

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Interesting, those are different from US recommendations. We're told 5-30 or 10-30.

The lower number is the cold viscosity. A lower number helps the oil flow when starting up a cold motor.

In those specs you posted, the big difference is really the fact that they're recommending synthetic oil. And not coincidentally, Mobil 1 comes in 15-50, not 20-50! For your climate, it probably doesn't matter what the cold viscosity number is. I would follow their spec and run synthetic oil, 15-50, 20-50, 10-50 or 5-50, depeding on what is available from my chosen brand. My chosen brand is M1, so I'd run 15-50.

Chris
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

I Support ClubWRX
    I also use Mobil 1 synthetic. 10W-30 in the Winter. 10W-40 in the summer.

Thanks Guys
    What does the first # stand for and what the second # stands for??for exemple 15W50,,what means what??
    and they recomend here 20W50 to non turbo cars,,for turbo the say 15W50 synthetic.
    I like MOTUL a lot.
    Do you guys knows MOTUL??
    Its a easy to find oil in Brazil.
    And remember here is very hot(40Celsius in the summer).
    Please i need advises so i can buy the oil tomorrow.
    I am afraid too of running synthetic in the first oil change 6000KM..
    What to do??just buy MOTUL 15W50 and change it??
    Thanks
    Tuca
    2002 Black Wagon WRX
    315HP With the PM-ID

Tuca, maybe this will help you out.

Copied from http://www.howstuffworks.com/index.htm

The viscosity grade (for example, 5W-30) tells you the oil's thickness, or viscosity. A thin oil has a lower number and flows more easily, while thick oils have a higher number and are more resistant to flow. Water has a very low viscosity -- it is thin and flows easily. Honey has a very high viscosity -- it is thick and gooey.

Multi-weight oils (such as 10W-30) are a new invention made possible by adding polymers to oil. The polymers allow the oil to have different weights at different temperatures. The first number indicates the viscosity of the oil at a cold temperature, while the second number indicates the viscosity at operating temperature.

At cold temperatures, the polymers are coiled up and allow the oil to flow as their low numbers indicate. As the oil warms up, the polymers begin to unwind into long chains that prevent the oil from thinning as much as it normally would. The result is that at 100 degrees C, the oil has thinned only as much as the higher viscosity number indicates. Another way of looking at multi-vis oils is to think of a 20W-50 as a 20 weight oil that will not thin more than a 50 weight would when hot.
    BTW, the W stands for winter, it means the oil is suitable for winter use.
    Last edited by bdoug; 02-18-2003 at 07:07 AM.
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

I Support ClubWRX
    Interesting, those are different from US recommendations. We're told 5-30 or 10-30.

The lower number is the cold viscosity. A lower number helps the oil flow when starting up a cold motor.

In those specs you posted, the big difference is really the fact that they're recommending synthetic oil. And not coincidentally, Mobil 1 comes in 15-50, not 20-50! For your climate, it probably doesn't matter what the cold viscosity number is. I would follow their spec and run synthetic oil, 15-50, 20-50, 10-50 or 5-50, depeding on what is available from my chosen brand. My chosen brand is M1, so I'd run 15-50.

Chris
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1993 Honda CBR600F2

is it OK to drop synthetic at 6000KM in the car?
    Thanks
    Tuca
    2002 Black Wagon WRX
    315HP With the PM-ID

Originally posted by tuca33
    is it OK to drop synthetic at 6000KM in the car?
    Thanks
    Tuca
    Yes.
    2002 WRX Sedan - 2000 Mazda Miata
    Do us all a favor: work on learning how to drive your car before adding more power. Pretty please.

I Support ClubWRX
    Heck, your owners manual recommends it.

So much for the "don't switch before 10,000 miles" theory!

I wonder if 15-50 synthetic is the factory fill in Brazil?

1993 Honda CBR600F2

Mobil recommends "Mobil 1 with SuperSynTM 15W-50 is especially suitable for high-performance cars, particularly hot-running or heavily loaded vehicles and special high-tech imports" for turbocharged cars.

That's what I plan on using for my next change.

X

Here's what Mobil says on its web site:

"Mobil 1® With SuperSyn™ Formula 15W-50
    Performance Driving Formula *
    Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 15W-50 is a performance-driving formula that provides superior high-temperature protection for high-performance cars. It keeps protecting your engine, guarding against wear, even during hard driving.
    Benefits of Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 15W-50:
    Excellent for supercharged and turbocharged engines, muscle cars and amateur racers.
    The highest viscosity Mobil 1 available.
    Race proven.
    Superior high-temperature protection for high-performance and high-revving cars. Contains extra SuperSyn™ anti-wear system.
    Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 15W-50 is factory fill in Ford Mustang Cobra R.
    Exceeds API SL/CF.
    Exceeds ACEA A3/B3/B4-02.
    Applications:
    Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 15W-50 is perfect for hot-running or heavily loaded vehicles and high-tech imported cars. It offers an extra level of protection, even under extreme use.
    * Follow the viscosity grade and API service category
    recommendations in your vehicle owner's manual."

In recent years, manufacturers have recommended 5W-30 because it offers better fuel mileage. In respect to Brazil, I expect Subaru mght recommend the best oil for the car as opposed to getting better CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) numbers for the US government.

I'd love to hear some other opinions on viscosity.

X

Sorry if it seems I'm hogging this thread, but it beats the hell out of "which exhaust..." threads.

I just pulled my owners' manual. SOA recommends API Service SJ/SH oil. Typically, once the oil is improved, it might be SH/SI - the lettering is stepped up to note a later spec.

Nevertheless, SJ/SH is an "Energy Conserving II" grade oil. So it appears SOA is very concerned about fuel economy in this automobile.

I think with the super high temps of the turbo, a heavier synthetic would provide better lubrication and much better protection from coking. "Coking" is the reason people buy turbo timers. What happens is, the turbo heats up, the engine is turned off, and the lubricating oil in the turbo solidifies into a coke-like substance (not coca~cola, buttheads). With a turbo timer, the engine runs a bit to allow the turbo time to cool.

I believe TTs are unnecessary with the coolant system designed into the WRX, but some people swear by them. I also believe running boost and shutting right down is particularly bad practice regardless of the type of oil you use or the turbo coolant system. But with the WRX turbo coolant system and the use of synthetic oil, I don't expect a problem. Of course were I to develop a problem related to coking, I'd be the first to admit it and buy a TT and to moan and whine about the issue.

Next, I'll post Castrol's recommendations.

X
    Last edited by MisterX; 02-18-2003 at 04:57 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    The problem is the lower number in colder temperatures. In the winter the 15-50 is probably a bad idea. 5-50 on the other hand might be a good choice.

1993 Honda CBR600F2

In the case of using 5W - 50, then I guess the Castro Syntec is best. I sent an eMail to their "answer guy" asking which oil they recomment for the WRX.

But it appears to me the SOA recommendation is based more on making CAFE requirements and less on the health of the turbo and engine.

Mobil claims the 15 W-50 flows at minus 49 degrees F. In Virginia, we never reach temps low enough for viscosity to be a problem. Perhaps the only place the lower temp limits would be an issue is Alaska?

It also appears the synthetics have flow properties beyond the usual viscosity of conventional oils. Further, Mobil claims the 15W - 50 contains additional wear protection required for racing type engines.

I can't wait to hear from Castrol. I like the Castrol products and have always used the GTX in my NA engines. While Consumer Reports says there is little difference in conventional motor oils (after reading that I bought what ever was on sale) I still have a soft spot in my heart for Castrol Ptoducts as they had served me so well through so many automobiles. I ran Syntec 5w - 50 in my Eclipse GSX though I didn't put many miles on the car as it was a DSM and I consifered it to be unrelaible for the long run.

Maybe Castrol Syntec 5W - 50 is the best engine oil for the WRX.

X
    Last edited by MisterX; 02-18-2003 at 07:13 PM.

MISTERX-
    First i want to say your AVATAR scares me.
    I think i wont sleep another night.
    I just bought my OIL,,I bought a MOTUL 6100 Synergie SAE 15W50 API SJ.
    Anyone know if this 6100 from MOTUL is their best??
    The guy here told me it is the best.
    Here is the info in the back.
    ---
    -Includes a synthetic base oil with superior performances.
    -for high performance gasoline ,diesel , turbocharged or not,injected or not(all purposes)
    -unleaded gasoline and catalytic converters
    -Optimum Stability at high temperatures.
    API-SJ/CF
    ACEA A3/B3
    VW 501 01/505 00
    MB p 229.1
    ROVER.
    ---
    Thanks
    Tuca
    2002 Black Wagon WRX
    315HP With the PM-ID

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.