Help ID a rattle
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Help ID a rattle within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I took my car in to get the new clutch assembly and fly wheel per the clutch shudder TSB and ...

Help ID a rattle

I took my car in to get the new clutch assembly and fly wheel per the clutch shudder TSB and I noticed the day after I got it back that I could here a really quiet rattling sound sometimes.... I can not here it while driving as it's too quiet but at idle if I hold in the clutch and gently blip the throttle I can here something that sounds like a loose plate or shield rattling gently against something. My first thought was a loose heat shiled, but I do not have one around my turbo and am running an after market perrin dp. Anyone have any ideas what this might be? I contacted the dealers service dept but I can't get in until Mon. They told me its not serious but they don't know waht it is w/ out hearing it.

Anyone have any ideas?
    "Does this look like a Q to you?"
    <swivles hips>
    "How bout now?"

Giggidy Giggidy Giggidy!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Come on guys ... help me out here.
    <swivles hips>
    "How bout now?"

Giggidy Giggidy Giggidy!

I'm bumping for some help here... ANYONE? bueler?
    <swivles hips>
    "How bout now?"

Giggidy Giggidy Giggidy!

Originally posted by MustGoFast
    I'm bumping for some help here... ANYONE? bueler?
    I'm having the same noise too. It all started after I changed my tranny fluid. Let me know what Sub say.

Well I brought my car into the dealer spent about 3 min showing them the noise i was talking about they put it up on the lift and had the problem fixed in 10 min flat. Every ones guesses were wrong it was not shielding or a cover of any kind but actually the steel tube thing that connects the master and slave cylinders of the clutch. It somehow was rattling against another piece of metal in the engine compartment. the serivce tech just moved it a bit and boom the rattle is gone.

CHUCK IS HAPPY NOW
    <swivles hips>
    "How bout now?"

Giggidy Giggidy Giggidy!

Im having the same noise, it just started a few days ago, really faint and i hear it when i downshift and blip, also when cruising in low gear at around 3k. I opened up the hood and the sound was coming from around my downpipe(somwhere in that area) was this the same as yours, just wondering becouse i have an sti competition clutch and it might be the same issue yu had hopefully the same fix.
    "Celebrate we will, for life is short but sweet for certain"-DMB

Liquid - "yes sticky! hes a god now!"

02 WRX now JDM V8 STI (too many mods for my own good)

No mine came from the drivers side rear of the engine compartment not the downpipe area....

If your rattling there I'd check your heat shields.
    <swivles hips>
    "How bout now?"

Giggidy Giggidy Giggidy!

Definately your heatsheild.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

So how hard is it to fix if its the heat shield? How much or can i do it myself? Thanks for the ID

I had the same rattle. I bent the heat sheild away from everything I could, and that woudl stop the rattle for a while, but when it flexed and expanded with the heat of the engine during operation, it would eventually start to rattle again. I could not stand it anymore so I just took mine off. Many people have driven many thousands of miles without heatshields and it seems to be just fine, as is mine.

-joe
    Last edited by NJwrbT-WRX; 04-17-2003 at 02:01 PM.
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

I just ditched the heat shiled on my dp when I replaced it.
    <swivles hips>
    "How bout now?"

Giggidy Giggidy Giggidy!

so the heatshield is that crap around the downpipe?, And with a new downpipe i wont have this problem?

Yes the crappy metal around the stock downpipe is the heatshield... if you put it back on you will still have a problem with an aftermarket dp but if you get one that's say ceramic coated to serve the heat retention purpose then F the heat shields and if they're not on the obviously can not rattle.
    <swivles hips>
    "How bout now?"

Giggidy Giggidy Giggidy!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.