Green Fluid On Firewall

This is a discussion on Green Fluid On Firewall within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just bought a WRX three days ago, and tonight i went out to clean the leaves out of the ...

Green Fluid On Firewall

I just bought a WRX three days ago, and tonight i went out to clean the leaves out of the engine. Well i was looking at my firewall, and i noticed that there was some type of green fluid of grease on the firewall right behind the intercooler. It is about 12 inches in length, and it seems to be "cleanly placed" there by hand. It may also have sprayed from somewhere else, but i'm not sure. Does anyone have the same green fluid/grease that i'm seeing? Or does anyone know what it might be? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Is it on the firewall behind the a/c lines? If so then it's rust protectant that's there due to the condensation that forms on the a/c lines...
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

Yes, its right behind the entire intercooler where the two pipe lines run behind it.

Ok thanks is2scooby, i was just worried that my brand new car had a problem. That makes plenty of sense. Thanks a lot.

It's cosmoline. It helps protect the car during the shipping process. I've had some of it in my engine bay as well. Most notably around my power steeering reservoir and radiator shroud. It usually comes off with a damp rag, but there always seems to be some affected areas that I can't reach.

Does anyone know if steam cleaning will remove cosmoline?

-Shadow
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Midnight Black Pearl
    2009 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon 5MT - Dark Gray Metallic

Dunno about steam cleaning, but carb. cleaner works too.
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

Ah, How wonderful Obssesive Compulsive can be sometimes!!

I got a gallon of Kerosene, Shop rags, and crawled under that baby with the creeper and had at it!!!!

I cleaned ALL the "green stuff" (Cosmoline) from the front to the back!!!

Nuts?......Maybe, But I love to work on a car when she's clean.

Make sure the engines cold and wear gloves have plenty fresh air and wear eye protection and you DONT need to have the rag "sopping" wet,....The grease comes off easy if you rub it lightly first and give the kerosene a few secs. to start its degreasing action,...Then follow up with your "clean" rags.

It takes awhile but is THE easiest way.

DO NOT DO ANY RUBBER, i,e Brake lines, axle boots, etc as Kerosene may swell rubber if you leave it on!
    (Dont be scared, Just wipe it off if you get "messy"<G>, It only effects it as far as I know if it STAYS on for long periods.

AND....DONT have a dam cigerette danglin from your mouth!!
    I have NEVER seen Kerosene catch fire this way and I have done it for years,......BUT, Dont push it!!!!!
    Keep an extenghusier handy just in case!

Do this at your own risk!

IF you would like to see the results I would be GLAD to post them from Digi pics...............Spic and Span is the Word!!

Shotgun