Fluids change, want the best

This is a discussion on Fluids change, want the best within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok everyone knows that maitenence is the best "upgrade" for you car, it keeps it healthy and maximizes the cars ...

Question Fluids change, want the best

Ok everyone knows that maitenence is the best "upgrade" for you car, it keeps it healthy and maximizes the cars performance with or without mods. I am about to run upon 10k on the odo and am getting ready to change fluids: rear diff and tranny. I want to upgrade to a better protecting and more performance orientated fluids. Now here is the kicker, what to get. I am looking for a definative answer as what to get. I have heard people recommend Redline 75W90NS for the tranny and Redline 75W90 for the rear diff. The new Turbo Magazine says something about Neo Synthetic tranny fluid. Some people swear by Mobil 1 for the diff as well. I am really interested in Motul as I have heard nothing but good about them, just not sure which to get for the tranny and which for the diff or where to get them. I have done massive searches and reading but no one gives a definate answer.
    Last edited by Sharky NRK; 03-25-2003 at 08:03 PM.
    I claim no responsibility for unintentional offense.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    There is no definitive answer. Redline makes an excellent product, as do Mobil 1 and Motul. Check the Powertrain Tech. Ref. Sticky for links to some gear oil threads.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Ok thanks.
    I claim no responsibility for unintentional offense.

If you want the absolute best (IMO) you have to pay for it...

CM Filters
    Neo Synthetic Lubricants

Change the oil every 3k-4k and the filter every other time you change the oil.[
    Last edited by Bishop; 04-03-2003 at 08:55 PM.

I used Redline 75W90NS and it was worse than the OEM fluid. Changed to Neo 75W90RHD and it was much quieter than Redline and it shifted smoother also. About the same feel as the OEM fluid but maybe a little better. $80 a gallon. I'm going to switch the Redline out of my rear diff soon. It is noisier with Redline also.