Oil Plug Gasket? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Oil Plug Gasket? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am about to change my new 03WRX oil and oil filter, but I found out that it is a ...

Cool Oil Drain Plug

I am about to change my new 03WRX oil and oil filter, but I found out that it is a little different than my previous Prelude. First, what is the electrical wire look alike that connects to the oil drain plug?? It is a white color wire. Second, what is the O Ring some people have mentioned in the oil filter part? And Do I need to replace the O ring for the new oil filter? Thank you for the help!

WRXGO

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The white wire that connects to the drain plug is prolly the oil temp probe. Do you have the OEM guages? Also the "O ring" everyone is talking about is the crush washer that goes on the plug as well. Some people change it everytime, others wait even until the 10th oil change to change it. You can try to reuse it, but if you see a leak, change it.

Good luck with the oil change!
    2005 Forrester XT premium

Re: Oil Drain Plug

Originally posted by WRXGO
    I am about to change my new 03WRX oil and oil filter, but I found out that it is a little different than my previous Prelude. First, what is the electrical wire look alike that connects to the oil drain plug?? It is a white color wire. Second, what is the O Ring some people have mentioned in the oil filter part? And Do I need to replace the O ring for the new oil filter? Thank you for the help!

WRXGO
    My '03 doesn't have any wire connected to the drain plug. Are you sure you're actually looking at the drain plug?
    2003 Subaru WRX Sedan 5 spd.
    Platinum Silver, TurboXS Stage 3 and lots of other goodies. See profile.

2002 Mercedes Benz C32 AMG

2005 Lotus Elise on order

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Oil Drain Plug

Originally posted by WRXGO

WRXGO
    The rubber O-ring for the filter is built into the filter - so you do change it every time but it isn't a seperate part.

The crush washers are like $.35 a piece. I buy them by the dozen and change it every time. It's a good idea.

That wire is for the oil temp probe and won't be present if you don't have an oil temp gauge.

Chris
    Last edited by GV27; 04-29-2003 at 08:04 AM.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Oil Drain Plug

Thanks for the info. GV27 Indeed, the white wire that connects to the drain plug is for the oil temp gauage. After going through three different auto stores to look for the oil washer, I went back to the dealer to buy it. I bought a lot for future oil change. It is funny that not many auto stores carry WRX oil washer.

WRX GOOOOO

Magnetic?

Hi. Are any of these drain bolts magnetized? Know where one can be had??
    2002 WRB 5-spd: K&N drop-in, silencer hack, Samco IC hoses, Godspeed uppipe, Bosal downpipe w/stock 3rd cat, Tanabe RM catback, TB Racing crank pulley, Tanabe GF-210 springs, Koni Sport strut inserts, Group N tranny & motor mounts, Whiteline rack bushings, Kartboy rear-sway endlinks & shifter, Goodridge ss brakelines, Akebono ProACT front pads

I Support ClubWRX
    I have had my fumotovalve for almost a year now on my car, and I would never change it back to stock. I also got the model with the nipple, that allows you to connect a piece of tubing to the valve, so you can aim the outflowing oil better. Cut my oil change times in half. I recommend getting one.

Just about all subarus ever made use a 20mm oil drain plug and washer. A 20 mm fiber washer installed at 40 ft.-lbs. should work fine. Pep Boys sells the drain plug and washer as a set for $2.79 or you can buy washers alone. Manufacturer name is Oil-Tite.
    Mark
    02 WRX Wagon

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Magnetic?

Originally posted by JohnZim63
    Hi. Are any of these drain bolts magnetized? Know where one can be had??
    http://www.magneticdrainplugs.com/metric.htm#1011M

20mm-1.5
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Fumoto

I bought the standard fumoto valve. It went on easy and works great. I have an 04 STi and the fumoto does not stick out more than maybe 1/2" more than the stock one. Since its at about a 45 degree angle that means it is just shy of flush with the bottom of the pan by my reckoning.

If you have an STi, I would get a nippled version, so you can start draining the oil via a tube while you take off the plastic engine guard. This will drop your change time by a few minutes at least, since you have to remove the guard if you want to get at the filter with minimum mess. I think the nippled version is like $3 more. With shipping and everything I paid 28 and change for that standard version.

KH
    Scoobys Rule.

No matter what you do to it, its still a civic.

Drag racing a civic is like competing in the special olympics. Even if you do win, you are still retarded.

Re: Fumoto

Originally posted by kf_aviator
    I bought the standard fumoto valve. It went on easy and works great. I have an 04 STi and the fumoto does not stick out more than maybe 1/2" more than the stock one. Since its at about a 45 degree angle that means it is just shy of flush with the bottom of the pan by my reckoning.

If you have an STi, I would get a nippled version, so you can start draining the oil via a tube while you take off the plastic engine guard. This will drop your change time by a few minutes at least, since you have to remove the guard if you want to get at the filter with minimum mess. I think the nippled version is like $3 more. With shipping and everything I paid 28 and change for that standard version.

KH
    I just cut a square out of the plastic guard, just below the filter. I didn't want to take it off every time I change oil.
    Thanks,
    Ali

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.