initial high oil consumption

This is a discussion on initial high oil consumption within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I Bought the WRX in early January and did a proper break in for the first 1000 miles. Did not ...

Question initial high oil consumption

I Bought the WRX in early January and did a proper break in for the first 1000 miles. Did not go over 4500 RPM's no use of the cruise control, varied the enginge speed etc.

I changed the oil at 1200 miles. Now with 4800 on the meter I have added over a quart to the resivor.
    Is this a normal oil consumption rate for a new WRX?

My driving style is "spirited" but I have never really gotten the tach much over 6000 RPM,s Most of the trips have been up to Tahoe to Ski.

I am going to get the oild changed again next week along with a CEL problem related to the fuel tank pressure sensor.

Anything I should have the dealer look at?
    Thanks in advance for your thoughts

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

tan
    It's normal for a new engine to consume oil. Give it a few more thousand miles and start monitoring again.

Suprisingly, my WRX used maybe a 1/10 of a quart during break-in (if that). Other cars I've owned use a least a half a quart.

What? Why would a car consume oil just because it's new? My car has never consumed a single drop, and I have 17k on the clock.

Originally posted by Rick Schu
    Suprisingly, my WRX used maybe a 1/10 of a quart during break-in (if that).
    Same here, I don't think I list any. Although, I did my first oil chang with Mobil dyno oil at 500 miles and switched to M1 at 2,500.
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

I Support ClubWRX

Depends...

I have a 02 WRX 5spd, currently around 11,200 miles. All oil changes so far have been dealer dino juice, presumably 5w-30. My info:

9-2950 miles: no consumption. Car driven moslty on motorways, very mellow, long distances, moderate temperatures (early morning and late evening in summer in CA, USA).

2950-6250 miles: no consumtion. Ditto.

6260-9050 miles: Driven by me and my wife, who drives a shorter distance and at a brisker pace. Consumed 300 ml in this interval (measured as a I added it to get to the previous mark I'd noted on the HORRIFIC dipstick).

What does this all mean? In all honesty probably nothing - not a large enough sample. But I suspect use will have quite an effect on oil consumption - and some consumption is attributable to the oil itself. I think 10W-30 M1, my next oil, will stay within spec longer and be much less volatile than 5W-30 dino juice.

On a side note, I've had motors that appeared to "increase" the amount of oil in the 'case... Short trips in cold weather mean not enough time to burn off contaminants (condensation, fuel etc.) and in my Mitsu 4G63 turbo motor after a long drain interval in these conditions, the level shown on the dipstick actually crept up a hint - very weird to look at, and scary to think about. I'd change oil at that point...

I've mentioned the site before, but a terrific oil resource online is Bob is the Oil Guy! They have forums for all sorts of tribology topics, and they have sections to post analysis data. This link should yield a spreadsheet readout of compoiled SUBARU-specific analysis data for a variety of oils and a variety of models, and helped me tremendously when I was trying to choose a motor oil for my WRX:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/...c;f=3;t=000386

Happy shopping...
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.