Warranty work on Tranny
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Warranty work on Tranny within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hi, ive had my WRX for 8 months now.... for the last week my reverse has been making noise and ...

Warranty work on Tranny

hi, ive had my WRX for 8 months now....
    for the last week my reverse has been making noise and i am certain that it is coming from my trans.
    i called the nearest Subaru Dealer and they said that warranty only covers parts that are defective and not something that is a result from driving it "hard".

the only mods i have right now on my car are a boost gauge and a turbo timer...

isnt warranty suppose to cover everything no matter the curcimstances (except for aftermaket parts that interfere with the problem)?

thanks for the help in advance.... im scheduled to take my car in on monday... im hoping that i could gather all the info. i can before i take it in (they're asking for a $100 prepayment for just checking it out and if warranty does cover it they will give my $$ back and if it doesnt they keep it)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

A warranty is supposed to cover manufature defects and faulty items that go bad from normal use. If they say your abuse broke the part then they dont have to fix it. If they did its no different then saying if i hit my bumper with a bat they have to fix it.

I dont see how a bad reverse would stem from hard driving though, unless your doing j-turns out of your driveway.

Your mods are not why they are not doing the work its because they think its from you dumping the clutch and quick shifting which is considered abuse.
    Alex

Subaru Warns All Dealers to "Void" Warranties for Specific Mods

Read this through, lots of info and some background on warranty policies

I Support ClubWRX
    Well, personally I'd get totally irate and tell them to shut the F up and do the Fing warranty work they owe you and shove their $100 up their Fing A. But that's just me. You don't have any mods they would be concerned about and no reason to expect abuse. Reverse? Come on!

Failing that, take it to another dealer.

C
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

the only reason they could make is that i was driving it too hard right?

but even if they do make that excuse....

it's freakin REverse...?!?!?!

i have never had any warranty work done so far....
    do any of you think i will have a problem to get this work done?
    Last edited by AzNuGn; 02-28-2003 at 11:28 AM.

tan
    Just wondering....(I'll apologize if the post sounds idiotic, or accusing)...in reverse...does it go vrrrrr?

Describe the noises for us, please.

Originally posted by tan
    Just wondering....(I'll apologize if the post sounds idiotic, or accusing)...in reverse...does it go vrrrrr?

Describe the noises for us, please.
    LOL for Aznugn's sake I hope your not right tan.
    Alex

it's not the normal MT reverse sound.....
    it doesnt sound like it's grinding.....
    it kind of sounds like something getting caught in a fan...
    it only makes this noise when i engage my gear while in reverse rolling backwards....

wait you just mean it grinds alittle bit when you first engage while moving? Does it still make the sound while you are backing up? If not then thats just the normal grinding sound reverse makes when your moving and the tranny is not fully engaged. Yes it sucks but all our cars do it.
    Alex

tan
    it only makes this noise when i engage my gear while in reverse rolling backwards....
    sounds right because reverse is not synchronized like the forward gears. It's best to shift into reverse when the car is at a a complete stop. All cars do this.

If it's not this, then probably worth a shot, depending if the dealership tech can replicate this noise. If they can't replicate it...they will do absolutely nothing.

woops... i stated it wrong....
    it makes the noise after reversing backwards and pushing the clutch in... the longer i keep rolling back like this... the noise gets louder and louder...

and tan... what do you mean that "If they can't replicate it...they will do absolutely nothing."?

he means if they cant replicate the sound while the car is at the dealership then as far as there concerned the problem does not exist.
    Alex

o........ well....... it makes the sound EVERYTIME.....

i now just back out my car and push the clutch down and take it right out of reverse before it starts making that sound...

Re: Warranty work on Tranny

Originally posted by AzNuGn
    (they're asking for a $100 prepayment for just checking it out and if warranty does cover it they will give my $$ back and if it doesnt they keep it)
    Take it to another dealer. My instincts tell me you will be out $100 no matter what. What kind of BS is that? Is this the same dealership you bought the car from?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.