Question about a CEL

This is a discussion on Question about a CEL within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey I just got my wrx 28 days ago, and I have just eclipsed the 1000 mile mark, and am ...

Question about a CEL

Hey I just got my wrx 28 days ago, and I have just eclipsed the 1000 mile mark, and am at 1080 when a check engine light comes on. I went back and retightened the gas cap and everything, and I have been reading other posts about cel problems and I was just wondering if you guys think I should just let it go for a week and see if the cel shuts off, or should I go to the dealership right away? Thank you for your help

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

call the dealer...you shouldnt have got a cel yet (as long as she is not mod'd )

if you are runn'g stock there is a factory glitch somewhere . im sure its nothing just call and get them to clear the cel
    have you ever been 4 bagged ???

I'm pretty sure the WRX's ECU wont reset the CEL even if the condition that caused it no longer exists. Therefore you either have to get the code pulled and cleared or reset your ECU by diconnecting the battery.

Most autzones will at least pull the code so you know what it is. But someone said that they changed their policy and no longer do that. The only problem with resetting you ECU yourself is that you will get bad mileage and performance for about a tank of gas.

If you plan on modding your WRX a code scanner might be worthwhile. I get a CEL here and there and all of them have been nothing to worry about (loose gas cap, catalyst inefficiency, etc ... )
    2002 WRX Sedan-Silver
    Turbo XS UTEC Stage IV (VF34)+TMIC, STI RA gears, Exedy clutch/flywheel

zipity here, zipity there, i'm zipity everywhere...
    where do you get a code scanner and how do they work? how do you use them?