HELP!! e-brake partially stuck
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on HELP!! e-brake partially stuck within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; WTF... the e-brake is partially stuck. I release the handle all the way but a) the brake light is still ...

HELP!! e-brake partially stuck

WTF... the e-brake is partially stuck. I release the handle all the way but a) the brake light is still on, b) the DRLs don't turn on, c) the car will roll but there's still a small bit of braking pressure.
    -BP
    RallyCross: "Eating dirt is a basic motor skill."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sounds frozen...hmmm.

I'm sure you tried applying and releasing again.

Originally posted by thechickencow
    Sounds frozen...hmmm.

I'm sure you tried applying and releasing again.
    Yeh... the pads aren't frozen to the rotors... so is it possible that there's enough ice clogging the caliper that it just won't fully release? And if so, why won't the DRLs engage even if the handle is (theoretically) all the way down? I thought that was a simple switch activated by the handle itself...
    -BP
    RallyCross: "Eating dirt is a basic motor skill."

I Support ClubWRX
    Well the handbrake is not by the pads itself but rather by a separate internal drum brake. It is cable activated. Since the DRL dash light is still on, I suspect that there's a snatch of the cable somewhere near the pivot of the handle itself. Consider pulling apart the console to inspect. Perhaps you can lube the cable a little to reduce friction.

I Support ClubWRX
    Open the console and check the switch. The SM diagram is attached.

Are you sure the brake is dragging? The reason I ask is that the WRX is kinda hard to push with the AWD drag.....if you're not used to it you might think the brake is dragging.

It sounds like it could just be a switch problem. As you can see in the diagram, the switch is just a handle-position indicator and really has nothing to do with the brake mechanism itself.

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails parkingbrake.gif  
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

I Support ClubWRX
    It's finally happened to me...my handbrake is stuck. Worse is that the car will not move

I Support ClubWRX
    If it was cold the night before, it could easily have frozen. My handbrake froze back in January. All it needed was a rev+half-clutch against it at 3000rpm for about a second or two and I broke free.
    2010 SSM STI

A while back, I pulled my ebreak to bring my back end around to initiate a rally-ish U-turn. My rear breaks where not applied, but my break light stayed on. I thought I might of broke the swtich under the handle. I drove around a little, and after I slowed down to under about 20 mph or so, the break like went off. I still don't know what happened till this day. But I always thought the light only stayed on when the switch was depressed on the handle.
    -1986 RX-7 GXL
    -2002 Blue WRX Wagon (given up)
    -2001 Prelude, (sold)
    -1989 Accord, (sold)
    -1984 Dodge RamCharger (Sold)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.