30.000 miles service - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 30.000 miles service within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Syn Power? we stock it, i've just never really considered it. i'll give it a run then. i'd also like ...

Syn Power? we stock it, i've just never really considered it. i'll give it a run then. i'd also like to turn my rotors, as they are getting a little rusted, and i can feel it during hwy braking sometimes.

-anal - dR

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry, I just have to have an answer for everything!

You might just consider having the rotors bead-blasted. Good chance the little wobble you feel is just pad deposits. It'd take care of any rust as well. Any machine shop could do it - shouldn't cost more than $5 a rotor or so. If this takes care of the wobble, you've just extended the life of the rotors.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

aaaahhhh. but i can turn the rotors myself for NADA!

daddy has a lathe (and a bunch of other machines i'm not allowed to touch)

dR

Brought my car in for the 30k service. They tell me $575.

W T F ?

ok, i call other dealerships as soon as I get back to find out how much they charge. I get: $495, $570, $375. I called the ripoff dealership right back to stop service and they charge me $71 for service already done (I was at the dealership 30 minutes ago and all the dude did was drain some fluids).

I'm going to take my car to the $375 dealership. So I'm still out $446... I still feel like I'm getting ripped off... but at least I save $129.
    2002 impreza wrx sportwagon 5-spd, aspen white
    very tenderly modified.

get the list of service items on the maintenance list for 30K, and take it to a mechanic. stay away from dealerships, their labor is $75+, and they way overcharge.

you can easily get this done for $250.

the important items on the 30K service are:

tranny/transfer case oil/fluid
    coolant flush
    brake fluid replaced.
    differential oil replacement
    rotate tires
    check brakes
    oil change
    fuel/air filter

plus, going to another mechanic, tell him that your warranty is almost up, and to do a check for warranty items. my mechanic found a leaking axle seal!! the dealership would never have pointed that out, as they have to cover the parts and labor.

dR

i decided i would let the "pros" take care of my car - so i went to a dealership and got my 30k (more like 31.8k) scheduled service today. fuskers charged me $460 - what's more, they didn't install the colder ngk spark plugs i bought and specifically told them to install (rant on this in another thread). but here's the worst part:

upon opening the air filter box, I FOUND A CIGARETTE BUTT INSIDE.

Highland Park Subaru will never see my green again.

2002 impreza wrx sportwagon 5-spd, aspen white
    very tenderly modified.

Registered User platinum scooby's Avatar
    so while under warranty can another service company do the work? won't subaru balk if this is done? or can you take it to any ase certified shop. does it have to be a subaru shop?

i know dealers are con artists most of the time and even an expensive ase shop is at least 20% less than any dealer. dealer service managers frequently make bonuses on how much they sell or services performed that aren't really needed. it's a well known fact. some of the service guys are handed down bonuses from the service manager, in a trickle down method. some are not.

sounds like a good idea to call ahead of time and find out what their charges will be. we have two or three scoobie dealers here, not much to choose from.
    2003 platinum silver wrx
    the only good suv is a dead suv.

You can have the service performed anywhere or you can do it yourself. Just be sure to document what you did with receipts, etc.

misterx

so what's a cushion filter?
    k&n, sti-hoodscoop, engine mounts, & tranny mount, blitz dtt, catless up-pipe, samco ic hose, greddy CC, cusco f/r swaybars, gutted midpipe, oil cooler, prodrive exhaust & f/r replica sti strut tower bar, gunmetal rota tarmac, goodridge ss lines, p'n'p exhaust manifold

deny the fly-by

Originally posted by bigtrick
    i decided i would let the "pros" take care of my car - so i went to a dealership and got my 30k (more like 31.8k) scheduled service today. fuskers charged me $460 - what's more, they didn't install the colder ngk spark plugs i bought and specifically told them to install (rant on this in another thread). but here's the worst part:

upon opening the air filter box, I FOUND A CIGARETTE BUTT INSIDE.

Highland Park Subaru will never see my green again.

will you need to put your car on the patch now? sorry, shameless joke. sorry

:embarrassed:

dR

30K Mile Service?

I need to get my 30k mile service, but can't find my maintenance and service booklet that came with my owners manual. Can someone post a detailed list of the service items for the 30k tune up? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    -S

That is the expensive one! i don't have the list on me - but I think it includes the timing belt.

Cheers,

Andrew

From page 42 of the Warranty and Maintenance Booklet of a 2002 WRX is as follows:

Inspect the following:
    Drive belts, Camshaft belt, transmission/diff & gear oil, auto tranny fluid, disc brake pads, discs, front and ear axle boots, and axle shaft joints, clutch operation, steering and suspension

Perform the following:
    Replace engine coolant and inspect cooling system, hoses and connections, replace fuel filter and inspect fuel system, hoses, and connections, inspect brake lines and check operation of parking and service brake system

Replace the follow:
    Engine oil and filter, air cleaner, brake fluid and the spark plugs on NON WRX cars

Hope that is what you wanted!

Check this (from the sticky at top of page) Service Manual excerpt: Periodic Maintenance it's a excerpt from the Service Manual. Describes everything that needs to be done and how to do it.
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Thanks very much Pondo and Bdoug. This is the type of info I've been looking for.

Cheers,
    -S

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.