Manual tranny oil
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Manual tranny oil within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; okay sometimes when i shift from 1st to 2nd it is smooth but sometimes it's clunky and as a result ...

Manual tranny oil

okay sometimes when i shift from 1st to 2nd it is smooth but sometimes it's clunky and as a result i grind into second. i checked my tranny oil and it's on the low side. could this be the reason that the 1st to 2nd shift isn't smooth? every other gear shifts smooth except for this 1-2 shift.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Try this thread because there is some good infoormation on many diffetent gear oils.

Russ

I Support ClubWRX
    Check the Technical Reference Sticky in the Powertrain forum for several gear oil threads, including the one Mr. X referenced.

Chris
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

after reading all that i'm still lost as to which brand i should get. i don't even know where the hell the drain plug is?!!!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    The man wants a definitive answer. I don't think one exists. I would probably start by trying M1 if I were you. No particular reason other than it's good stuff, fits the specs and is easy to obtain.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

definitive answer would be to use non synthetic GL5 75W90 gear lube without friction modifiers, as for limited slip differentials.
    This will provide a good shift feel.
    The problem with Mobil Gear Lube is that it is synthetic and during the winter months it is so slippery that till the tranny gets any heat in it, it is almost impossible to shift out of 1st and into 2nd without some grinding of the dog gears.
    Redline MT90 addresses this for transaxles, but it is a GL4 lube.
    Bottom line is if you want a simple answer go with original fluid,
    if you work the car a bit then a 50/50 mixture of Mobil 1 and Red Line MT90 works better than straight Mobil 1, at least in my car.
    Then again if you live in a warm climate straight Mobil 1 works fine as well.
    BTW, the grain plug is ~22M and smack under the transaxle.

the only dog gear in the rex is reverse.

maybe we are using different terms, the dog gear is what the synchros persuade to engage the actual gear. So when you "clash the gears" you are not actually hurting the gears, but hurting the engagement mechanism between the synchro and the gear itself, this is how I and others define dog gears.

a dog gear is a gear w/o a synchro. all gears in the rex except reverse have synchros to assist in the matching of speeds b/w the engine and the drive axles.

there is an outside chance I may be wrong, but my research/experience shows that synchros and dog gears coexist
    Dog gears have always been around. Synchros are relatively new on the scene. In years gone by, trannys without synchros needed to be double clutched to get the dog gears to engage smoothly during all down shifts. Once the synchros were installed down shifting was relativelys straight forward. However, synchros do not necessarily eliminate dog gears.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.