Gas tank door
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Gas tank door within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Anyone else ever have problems with their gas door being frozen shut? So far... this winter (1st winter i've had ...

Gas tank door

Anyone else ever have problems with their gas door being frozen shut? So far... this winter (1st winter i've had it) it takes me like 5 minutes to finally get the door open. I baby my car and don't wanna just stick my key in it to pry it open. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.
    2005 Forrester XT premium

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yep just ran into that problem yesterday. I just rubbed my fingers along it trying to get the pieces of ice out. eventually I got it open enough that I could pull it out with my fingers.

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

I had this happen just once (I have a garage - but parked outside a girls house one night) and I just gave it a lite smack with the palm of my hand and it came open....

But id hardly call topping out your speedo with less than 3000 miles babying ;-)

just messing with you

Joe
    "Damn.... this car is wicked fast..." ~ My roomate, owner of a supercharged/intercooled 97 Trans AM
    Mods |

But id hardly call topping out your speedo with less than 3000 miles babying ;-)
    Heh.... photoshop... i've never gone over 95
    2005 Forrester XT premium

How about spraying de-icer on it. Be sure to wipe off excess with a cloth.

HAsn't happened to me yet, but I'm sure it will.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

de-icer or toss a bit of warm water on there

this kind of thing happens when it gets cold guys

Jamie

Originally posted by QuickSilver
    How about spraying de-icer on it. Be sure to wipe off excess with a cloth.

HAsn't happened to me yet, but I'm sure it will.

that stuff is no good for your paint job

If de-icer is bad, then how about some salt water in a spray bottle? Can't be any worse than the crap that's on the road. Just be sure to wipe afterwards.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

Heck yeah it does! and i'm the brain surgeon who washes his scooby just HOURS before needing to refuel. I have my BA, but I swear one of these semesters, i'm going to Harvard to get my Master's.
    -Stomp
    LET'S GO COLTS!!!
    I have 5 infraction points. What do you have?

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by returnofthejedi
    It happened to me one night this winter. I'm pumping gas and these rednecks are kind of laughing at my wagon, so I rev the engine and they give me the "What kind of motor is in that thar thingy" look. Then I'm a little cooler, but I can't get the gas door to open, so I just sprayed a little deicer in there and it opened up. Kind of embarassing though- you'd think that the company that advertises the Beauty of All Wheel Drive would think AWD=icy weather, so let's build a better gas door. Then again, maybe If You Get It, You Get It-but I don't

You revved your engine while you were pumping gas?
    2010 SSM STI

Originally posted by WilliamG
    You revved your engine while you were pumping gas?
    no that was before he had trouble getting his gas tank door open

Not yet...luckily. I've had some DAMN cold and snowy/icy days here in Omaha, but haven't had a problem yet.
    '05 Obsidian Black STi (my dream has come true)
    '93 SE-R (JDM SR20DE waiting...)
    '69 Camaro SS (project car)

I think the iced up gas door phenomenon only happens if some water (thru washing or rain) gets in the compartment and overnight freeze, coupled by pumping gas hte next morning.

ONly happened once, when I pumped gas the morning after rinsing the WRX down the previous evening.

It can get pretty cold, but as long as it's dry, it probably won't happen.

Because I read about it in the the forum before it happened, it did not worry me (this should be the CLubWRX rally cry). I didn't have any de-icer or salt water, so I lightly banged on it till it opened. It's PITA when it's cold and you're in a hurry, but not a real problem.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.