Noise when starting to roll

This is a discussion on Noise when starting to roll within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I hear this noise, sort of like a fainter sound of doors locking, when I start moving from a stop ...

Question Noise when starting to roll

I hear this noise, sort of like a fainter sound of doors locking, when I start moving from a stop usually from parked in a parking lot. Anybody else hear this and know what it is? Is it one of the differentials engaging or something?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Might be the sound of the break pads backing away from the rotors... but id be pretty impressed if you heard that....

Joe
    "Damn.... this car is wicked fast..." ~ My roomate, owner of a supercharged/intercooled 97 Trans AM
    Mods |

Ever since I had the rattling noise problem in my struts, I've been driving around with the radio off when I first start the car until I get up to speed. The rattling noise happened on low speed hard turns at 500 miles in the left strut. The dealer replaced it and the noise went away. But the right strut started doing the same thing at 1200 miles, and they refused to replace that one, saying they don't warranty for noises. They said "it is a result of the super-stiff suspension (right, it's soft compared to my ITR) and should go away after about 12,000 miles". Well I had to go back about 3 times to demonstrate the noise, and they finally said they'd call me to talk to the SOA rep when he was in town for the month. They never called. I'm not impressed with SOA service. I don't hear the noise now with 6,000 miles, but the wheel wells are filled with winter dirt and sand and I don't park at that lot anymore where I could really hear the noise driving around the parking islands.

Originally posted by NJSubieTech
    Might be the sound of the break pads backing away from the rotors... but id be pretty impressed if you heard that....
    Don't think it's that since, I can back up out of the space, then drive forward a few feet before I hear the click.

Speaking of noises, can everyone sometimes hear the sloshing of fuel in their tank when they park and brake moderately? I read that Type-R owners can hear this because they don't have a baffle in the tank to soundproof it, but it's very noticable in the WRX. I wonder if they did the same thing in the WRX.
    Last edited by WTypeRogerX; 03-17-2003 at 04:23 PM.
    2005 World Rally Blue WRX Sportwagon
    Biatch totalled my 2002 WRB WRX Sportwagon
    I miss my bugeye.
    Image is nothing, performance is everything. All your rice be ownz by us.
    If you're not going to spend your money on women or alcohol, you might as well spend it on cars.

I Support ClubWRX
    It may be the pads moving forward in the calipers. They have a slight play to them. When you back up and brake, they move backwards slightly. Then you take off and they move forward. I get this, but with aftermarket pads and not until my first forward brake.

Chris
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by WTypeRogerX
    Don't think it's that since, I can back up out of the space, then drive forward a few feet before I hear the click.

Speaking of noises, can everyone sometimes hear the sloshing of fuel in their tank when they park and brake moderately? I read that Type-R owners can hear this because they don't have a (resonator?) in the tank to soundproof it, but it's very noticable in the WRX. I wonder if they did the same thing in the WRX.
    Yep I hear the fuel sloshing around, and the noise when you start moving which is the brakes backing off. I hear EVERYTHING. I'm very anal about such things. Going over speed bumps I hear the fuel easily.
    2010 SSM STI

Yeah, best thing about the WRX is that it is the quietest car I've owned. Turbo, cats, and high gearing means I barely notice when I'm cruising at 90 mph.
    2005 World Rally Blue WRX Sportwagon
    Biatch totalled my 2002 WRB WRX Sportwagon
    I miss my bugeye.
    Image is nothing, performance is everything. All your rice be ownz by us.
    If you're not going to spend your money on women or alcohol, you might as well spend it on cars.