How to change spark plugs
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on How to change spark plugs within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Spent 1 1/2 hour in a complete darkness (with small flash light!) and freezing temperature to replace the sparkplugs today. ...

How to change spark plugs

Spent 1 1/2 hour in a complete darkness (with small flash light!) and freezing temperature to replace the sparkplugs today. Type of plugs I got are Denso Iridium Power plugs (IK22) that are one step colder than stock plugs.

****warning**** replacing plugs on boxer engine is very different from Honda engine, which takes only 15 min to do. Be prepared to spend at least 45-60 min to replace them if you have never replaced plugs on Subaru vehicle before.

1. Starting from the driver side, remove the washer bottle and the battery to gain good access to the "coil on plug"

2. There is one 12mm bolt you need to "break" and unbolt. Once the bolt is loose, hold it tightly and pull it out. "Coil on plug" will also come out. This "Coil on plug" is also difficult to pull out especially the one near the driver side but it will come out eventually

3. Using 5/8" spark plug socket, unbolt the spark plug and take it out. When you can no longer turn the extension by hand, use a precision torque wrench and torque the plug to 18 ft-lbs.

4. Follow steps 2-3 on the passenger side but be sure to remove the intake box in order to gain access to "coil on plugs"

HOPE THIS HELPS!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sparkplugs.gif  
    Last edited by WRXreX; 02-11-2003 at 09:27 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How did the car feel after changing the plugs?

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

Believe it or not, my car has been having problem last few months. Car didn't pull hard even in 1-2nd gear @ 14psi. Could be due to oxidized plug similar to the problem either C&D or R&T magazine had on their test WRX car. Now after replacing them with the colder spark plugs, my car feels strong again. I won't make a statement like this if the difference is small, but the difference I feel is quite noticeble. Yes, it is not because of ECU reset.

Tim

I've changed my plugs, too. My hands were sore and bruised for the best part of a week.

X

I am interested in the results as well. I have always wondered why they are included in VS0 but not really used in any other stages or talked about that much as a good mod to do.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

Should anyone report "feeling" results of having changed spark plugs, be skeptical. Unless, of course, the results are posted of a datalog which plots detonation or some similar phenomenom before and after the plugs. Otherwise, there is no noticeable difference.

X

Edit: There are threads here about why some tuners use colder plugs (Vishnu) and others (TurboXS) do not.

Any non performance benefit upgrading to better plugs or going a step or two colder?

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

You might avoid some detonation. That's a pretty big might, too.

X

Hi, I need to change my plugs in my 2002 wrx, when i disconnect the battery what will happen reference to the ecu, my wrx has had a few mods and maybe remapped, will this be affected when the battery is off? cheers.

Thanks for searching.

Your tune is stored in memory and should not be erased simply by disconnecting the battery. Good luck.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.