Oil Change help
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Oil Change help within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Today, in the blistery cold weather I performed my 1st oil change to my 2002 WRX. I had scheduled with ...

1st 3000 mile oil change story

Today, in the blistery cold weather I performed my 1st oil change to my 2002 WRX.

I had scheduled with the dealer twice and they kept giving me 2 week later dates.

I was running 3204 miles and really need to get the oil change.

After reading countless oil change threads.. basically this is what I did..

The oil filter was really really tight. I don't know how the hell they get it locked in that tight. I guess it's a virgin.

I tried those Craftman rubber locking tool, no good. The filter was too short and not enough room to get torque..

Then I read some thread where people just stuck a screwdriver thru the filter and was able to loosen it. That didn't work because the OEM filter is made of metal and you have to be real strong to do it. I did bang it a few times and left couple of dents but no holes.

So I had enough.. I jacked up the driver side just 4-5 inches.. then took the power drill and drilled a big hole, my drill bit got stuck in it. Then oil began to leak out. I couldn't take the drill bit out, so I figured, hey why not.. I just used the stuck drill bit and use it to turn and loosened the oil filter. I did it like popping a good bottle of red wine and yes.. the oil leaking out looks like red wine, burgandy.

Took the Bosch Premium Grade filter lubed it with some motor and 4.5 bottles of the good Mobil Regular 5w-30 oil.

BTW, the drain plug was also darn tight but a couple of shots of silicone lubricant loosened it. I guess the cold weather kept it locked in. (Temperature was around 21 degrees)

Warmed up the car for 5 mins, crawled under to make sure there are no leaks and drove her around a bit..
    02' WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wow, sounds like you had quite the arctic ordeal! I'm always complaining about it being too hot and/or too sunny when I'm working on my car. I guess I'll shut up now.
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

zipity here, zipity there, i'm zipity everywhere...
    when i changed my oil for the first time (400 miles...overly cautious? you be the judge) i was helllllla baked, and hadn't smoked in a REALLY long time. i wasn't sure if i was even twisting the filter the right or wrong way, i had to keep re-orienting my thoughts to make sure. anyways, just a lot of twisting with a latex on for grip (she was a virgin, afterall) and i popped that cherry right off. it must have been around 25 degrees or so. god, i hate this nebraska weather...i miss Cali

Help needed on Oil Change

Hey guys, I went out today to do my first oil change(500 miles thank you very much ) but anyway, I get out there and locate the bolt right quick, and I am like oh yea this will be easy, heck no! The oil pan bolt is on there so dang tight, I dont know what to do. So anyone know how to loosen it to get it off, and even though I have changed oil for years, I still have to wonder, when you are loosening the bolt on the wrx, are you pulling the wrench towards you, or pushing it away from you? I cant get this off so any help would be GREATLY appreciated, Thanks Guys

Ben

Re: Help needed on Oil Change

Originally posted by mcloud10
    Hey guys, I went out today to do my first oil change(500 miles thank you very much ) but anyway, I get out there and locate the bolt right quick, and I am like oh yea this will be easy, heck no! The oil pan bolt is on there so dang tight, I dont know what to do. So anyone know how to loosen it to get it off, and even though I have changed oil for years, I still have to wonder, when you are loosening the bolt on the wrx, are you pulling the wrench towards you, or pushing it away from you? I cant get this off so any help would be GREATLY appreciated, Thanks Guys

Ben
    1st off i think 500 is 2 early to change oil on a brand new car. but to get it off u pull toawrd u. the car doesnt need to be jacked up. throw the ebrakw on as usual get under and lodge ur foot in front of the tire and pull. u should get it its not as hard as the oil filter. good luck on the one.
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

Not sure what gorilla they have at the assembly plant on this, but he does do a heck of a job torqueing that drain plug down!! On my first oil change the bolt was really tight, also. The gasket had paint on it, so they put the drain plug in early in the process. The bolt is a standard right hand thread, just may take a lot of force to break it loose.

The spec for the plug is 33 ft. lbs.. Be sure to put a new gasket on it. Good luck.

Leo
    "Stupid should hurt."

Just did my first oil change today at 1719miles and had the same problem of all my new cars that I have owned. I got the filter off with one of those strap wrenches (only time I ever use them is when the car is new) and got the plug off with a socket laying flat on my stomach and pull for all its worth for about 15 minutes till it broke free. I don't think the manufactures pay attention to there own instructions a states in the owners manual not to over tighten. Anyway, put the filter on hand tight and use a new washer on the drain plug and snug it up good. Off topic but kinda of funny, when I asked for a oil filter and washer from the dealership he said are you sure you want to change it yourself.

Tony
    --Tony

2002.5 Mazda Protege5
    1997 Mazda Miata STO Edition #774-1500 (Sold)
    2003 WRX Silver Sedan
    -STi Grill
    -STi Projectors
    -Aust Spec 17' wheels

tan
    BREAKER BAR

I Support ClubWRX
    As far as direction, it depends on how you have the wrench oriented. So just imagine yourself under the car looking up at the bolt. Clockwise tightens, counter-clockwise loosens. Or, "righty tighty, lefty loosy". You can make a breaker bar out of a short wrench by slipping a piece of pipe over the end.

Chris
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

I Support ClubWRX
    I post this on almost every single oil changing thread, and I just can't understand why more people don't use them. If you get sick of having to take off the oil pan bolt and going to the store to get crush washers, do what I did and buy a fumotovalve.

http://www.fumotovalve.com

You only need to take off the stock bolt, put on the fumotovalve on and tighten it up with the crush washer it comes with. That's it. You never have to take it all the way off ever again. Just use the spring loaded on and off lever on it. Take me 2 seconds to change my oil. And if you get the nipple version, you can put a hose to it and it will drain into any container you want. And if the container is about to overflow, just turn the lever to the off position, and get another container.

I swear by this valve. It works so well. I could not live without it.

Last edited by KurleeDaddeeWRX; 02-02-2003 at 04:18 PM.

but any ******* can drain ur oil and leave u stranded and fooked.
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by SpeedRacerWRX02
    but any ******* can drain ur oil and leave u stranded and fooked.
    They are gonna be awful skinny to get under my front end. Plus I don't make enemies, just friends

tan
    Speed is pretty thin

You guys need to work out more.

yep tan is right i am. i'll get up under ur car and steal ur mobil 1 or ur amsoil no big deal for me.
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.