When did u need to refill ur Engine Coolant Reservoir?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on When did u need to refill ur Engine Coolant Reservoir? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well, I've got 2,342 miles on my rex now, I've had it since November. I noticed today that my Engine ...

When did u need to refill ur Engine Coolant Reservoir?

Well, I've got 2,342 miles on my rex now, I've had it since November. I noticed today that my Engine Coolant is below the L marking. Do you guys refill this urself, or go to the dealership? Reason I ask cuz the guys at my dealership are kinda aholes, so I would rather do this myself since it seems relatively simple. What type of coolant would anyone recommend, or have u guys used in there?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

anyone? gotta try to get this taken care of today, I don't want to be driving around on low coolant. thnx.

Are you checking it when the engine is cold? When cold it should be at the low mark, when hot it should be at the high mark.

If you engine is cold add a little antifreeze/water mixture until it reaches the the low mark. If hot, do the same for the high mark. There are some premade antifreeze mixes but its a waste of money. Just buy some good antifreeze (prestone, zerex, etc...) and mix with about %50 water depending on your climate. Most antifreeze bottles have a mixing chart on the back.
    2002 WRX Sedan-Silver
    Turbo XS UTEC Stage IV (VF34)+TMIC, STI RA gears, Exedy clutch/flywheel

Yeah, engine is cold, downstairs in the garage, earlier today. o to check it hot should I just check it idle...or maybe go around the block then check it?

Nope, you can check it hot or cold. You just have to use the L line for cold and the H line for hot. It may be better to check it cold I think.

The coolant expands slightly when hot so you have to read from the higher line on the reservoir.
    2002 WRX Sedan-Silver
    Turbo XS UTEC Stage IV (VF34)+TMIC, STI RA gears, Exedy clutch/flywheel

I just ran into this problem myself. I have 13K miles on the WRX, and I noticed the coolant was below the L mark when the car was both hot AND cold, so I bought some prestone and consulted some folks. The concensus was that if you are just adding some coolant to top it off and bring it to mid L and F marks, then just add it. If you flush the coolant out then you should do the 50/50 mix to fill it back up. So after adding a tad bit, now i have an almost full bottle of prestone collecting dust, great.

chris
    Moderator: Retired
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    2001 Mazda Miata 5MT - AutoX #99 (NNJ Region SCCA 2005 CStock Champion)
    1988 BMW 325 (2.7L "i" conversion) Sedan 5MT - Daily Driver (AutoX soon!)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

yeah, I'm just a little below L, I think I'll go to Kragen and see how much some of that Prestone is. Thanks for the help guys.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    or you could just add a little water, it has better cooling capabilities than antifreeze

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.