Tools needed to Mod you Car.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Tools needed to Mod you Car. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Lets Start a discussion to list the most usefull tools that all you guys use to work on the car. ...

Tools needed to Mod you Car.

Lets Start a discussion to list the most usefull tools that all you guys use to work on the car.
    All the Needed Tools..
    O2 sockets,Wrenches,ratchets ,screwdrivers.
    everything.
    lets just start listing it.
    Thanks
    Tuca
    Last edited by tuca33; 01-24-2003 at 05:58 AM.
    2002 Black Wagon WRX
    315HP With the PM-ID

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'll add;

Good metric socket set and box wrenches
    Flex head rachet
    Universal joint
    Breaker bar
    Floor Jack
    Jackstands
    Head lamp (this is so usefull)
    Beer

The list could go on and on but these are some of the basics I use.
    2002 WRX Sedan-Silver
    Turbo XS UTEC Stage IV (VF34)+TMIC, STI RA gears, Exedy clutch/flywheel

tan
    something to cover the fenders while you lean on it....

Jrod,,what is a breaker bar?and box wrenches??
    I will add to that some nice extensions to put in the ratchet.
    O2 socket,(is there a proper socket for EGT sensor??),Ahhh,,and a torque wrench too..
    Tuca
    2002 Black Wagon WRX
    315HP With the PM-ID

A good oil filter removal tool. There are many on the market, but one is definately necessary. Also, some sort of extener tool with a gripper on the end of it for when you drop stuff into your engine bay and cannot get your hand in there to pick it out. I will post more when I think of it.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

tan
    Originally posted by tuca33
    Jrod,,what is a breaker bar?and box wrenches??
    I will add to that some nice extensions to put in the ratchet.
    O2 socket,(is there a proper socket for EGT sensor??),Ahhh,,and a torque wrench too..
    Tuca
    Box Wrench

Breaker Bar

Some call them flex handles. They are used when bolts/nuts are too tight, that you can't use your regular ratchet. A breaker bar is much longer, you apply more torque onto the bolt...basically better leverage..

Some flare nut wrenches (brake lines, etc.)

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by NJwrbT-WRX
    A good oil filter removal tool. There are many on the market, but one is definately necessary. Also, some sort of extener tool with a gripper on the end of it for when you drop stuff into your engine bay and cannot get your hand in there to pick it out. I will post more when I think of it.

-joe
    Get yourself a big pair of channel-locks. They work well for the oil filter, plus they have a hundred other uses.

Personally I'd get combo wrenches rather than box on both ends - box on one end, open on the other. Two sets is handy for getting onto both the nut and bolt- I have three actually - standard Craftsman combo wrenches, short combos (for those tight spaces) and a long set that is box on one end and "quickwrench" ratcheting (sorta) opens on the other. Then I have a set of ratcheting box wrenches........I gues what I'm trying to say is that you can't have too many wrenches!
    Last edited by GV27; 01-24-2003 at 11:37 AM.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

tan
    Sometimes check out the clearance tables at Sears. Last year I got a sweet metric combo wrench set (I think 24 pieces) for $20 when its MSRP at $70.

Originally posted by tan
    Sometimes check out the clearance tables at Sears. Last year I got a sweet metric combo wrench set (I think 24 pieces) for $20 when its MSRP at $70.

Thats what i will look for.
    Tuca
    2002 Black Wagon WRX
    315HP With the PM-ID

They have Sears in Brazil, WOW!!!

Another to add to the list, needle nose pliers in a few sizes, I always seem to need them regardless of what I am doing.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

Originally posted by NJwrbT-WRX
    They have Sears in Brazil, WOW!!!

Another to add to the list, needle nose pliers in a few sizes, I always seem to need them regardless of what I am doing.

-joe
    No in Brazil we have Walmart,Not Sears.
    But i will use my computer to buy from Sears
    And needle nose pliers i think you mean pliers with very thin nose,,appearing to be 2 needles at the end of the plier.
    am i correct??
    thanks
    tuca
    2002 Black Wagon WRX
    315HP With the PM-ID

Yes, needlenose pliers are pliers with very small tips, though not actually as small as needles.

To the list, I'd like to add:

- normal pliers
    - heavy gauge extension cord
    - multimeter
    - soldering iron
    - wire crimper/stripper
    - several good worklights
    - dremel tool
    - Rhino Ramps
    - Torque wrenches (in both in/lb and ft/lb scales)

Used a little less often but still awfly handy is:
    - rubber hammer
    - ballpeen hammer
    - bench vise
    - bench grinder
    - hacksaw
    - visegrips
    - air compressor
    - impact wrench for air compressor
    - a big fan and a space heater to keep your garage at a bearable temperature
    2002 WRX Sedan - 2000 Mazda Miata
    Do us all a favor: work on learning how to drive your car before adding more power. Pretty please.

Originally posted by AutoXJunkie
    Used a little less often but still awfly handy is:
    - rubber hammer
    I prefer 'dead blow' hammers. They have steel shot in them (or something like that) which deaden the 'recoil' of a rubber mallet. Saves you from accidentally banging it into something else once it bounces off whatever you're trying to hit with it.
    -Jim

'02 Platinum Silver WRX sedan w/roof rack...bone stock. Ok, now that's a lie.

GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!!

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The nice thing about Subaru (vs my damn Chevy metric AND SAE truck ) is that you only need a few select sizes- 10,12,14,17,19,21,22,30- this greatly pars down your tool needs.

I'm like GV27- can't have enough wrenches and I find I use most of them. One thing to pay attention to is 6 point vs 12 point. When you get into the bigger stuff, I'd highly recommend 6 point- less chance of rounding off a nut or bolt.

I also find having a wide assortment of extensions, universals and wobble sockets can make a seemingly impossible job possible. A torque wrench, while expensive, is somewhat of a necessity IMO- I use both a 3/8 and 1/2 one on almost every project.

Another nice tool is the ratcheting comination wrench, this lets you get into tight spaces (like a combination wrench) but also offers ratcheting action- saving you mucho time in many applications. Unfortunately my tool choice- Craftsman, offers a metric set but includes a bunch of sizes I don't need, but worse no 17mm- which you'll find is a very go to size w/ the Suby.

Big Sky

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Joy O Joy! Just went to sears,com and found out they do make a 17mm ratcheting wrench, it's just not in their metric "set"- 10,11,12,13,14,15,18- don't need 11,13,15 or 18.

This is what they loook like:

I just ordered individually 10,12,14,17 and w/ my craftsman club tool discount and free shipping rebate got them for $75.

Stoked (tool fetish )

Big Sky

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.