Tools needed to Mod you Car. - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Tools needed to Mod you Car. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; As far as wrenches go does this sound right? - metric 10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 21, 22, & 30mm; ...

Question

As far as wrenches go does this sound right?

- metric 10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 21, 22, & 30mm;

- prefably 6 points;

- combo wrench of above sizes (boxed & open; eg. 10mm boxed & 12mm open) x 2;

- sockets;

- various extensions;

- torque wrench handle(?) where I can set the torque & it'll make that clicking noise.

I'm needing to get tools.

Robert
    --------------------------------
    MY03 Sonic Yellow Sedan

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like a good start. You'll want 1/2" drive in the big stuff, 3/8 in the smaller. A good stout breaker bar will come in handy- FHI doesn't seemt to listen to their own torque values- most are much above!

Big Sky

Thanks Big Sky ... hope to head out to Sears to see if any good combo fit with above description.

'Drive' means the handle that you connect different sockets/extensions, correct (sorry for sounding really dumb when it comes to tools).

Finally, are the torque values you set when working on my Rex different varies upon which bolts or is it uniform? And if uniform what is the correct setting?

TIA,
    Robert
    MY03 Sonic Yellow Sedan

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by ur2punk
    Thanks Big Sky ... hope to head out to Sears to see if any good combo fit with above description.

'Drive' means the handle that you connect different sockets/extensions, correct (sorry for sounding really dumb when it comes to tools).

Finally, are the torque values you set when working on my Rex different varies upon which bolts or is it uniform? And if uniform what is the correct setting?

TIA,
    Robert
    Robert,

No problem. 3/8" and 1/2" refer to the drive- it's the square section on a ratchet that the sockets fit on. The bigger the drive the more torque (more leverage) the ratchet is able to handle, thus smaller sizes typically uitlize smaller drives, larger -bigger.

Sears makes a couple all metric set that covers 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drives, plus a variety of wrenches. If you don't need SAE (US inches) sizes don't waste your money on a set that covers both. They make a 140 piece all metric set that is a dandy # 33141 (might be catalog only) that selss for $199, that may seem like a lot but tools hold there value and they are warrantied for life.

Torque settings vary greatly depending on the bolt and it's purpose, for example on the struts the three strut top bolts are 16.5 ft lbs, the two that hold the strut to the knuckle are 129 ft lbs! You'll be hard pressed to find a torque wrench that covers that wide a range (accuratly), thus realistically you'll eventually need both a 3/8" and a 1/2" drive torque wrench.

Good luck,

Big Sky

Thanks Big Sky. I looked at Sears & I might go for the metric set cousin #33941.

Understood on the drive.

As far as 'how much torque for this bolt vs that bolt' ... is that something you get from the manual.

Robert
    MY03 Sonic Yellow Sedan

Yes,,or in the manual or in charts like this one
    Tuca
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wrxexhaustscan.jpg  
    2002 Black Wagon WRX
    315HP With the PM-ID

I Support ClubWRX
    Tuca has pointed out correctly that almost every schematic has been posted w/ all torque values. If one hasn't I'll post it. Very easy to find torque values.

Big Sky

I would say get yourself a set of the craftsman sockets designed to take off rounded nuts. It comes with 5 sockets in a red box for about 20 bucks. The subaru nuts are soft and short, so they are easy to round. these will save you lots of time and head ache, they did for me. They are my miracle tools

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

Originally posted by KanosWRX
    I would say get yourself a set of the craftsman sockets designed to take off rounded nuts. It comes with 5 sockets in a red box for about 20 bucks. The subaru nuts are soft and short, so they are easy to round. these will save you lots of time and head ache, they did for me. They are my miracle tools
    are you talking about 6 point sockets?
    Tuca
    2002 Black Wagon WRX
    315HP With the PM-ID

I think KanosWRX means this: Sears Item #00952160000

Thanks all. I'm gonna get the #33941 during next sale - I heard from my colleague that they usually sell this set for $149 during sale.
    MY03 Sonic Yellow Sedan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.