Oil change interval question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Oil change interval question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Wait up to 7K miles between oil changes as in the WRX pwners manual? I did mine at 3K, then ...

Does anyone really...

Wait up to 7K miles between oil changes as in the WRX pwners manual? I did mine at 3K, then 7K, now they tell me to wait until 14K- isn't that just too many miles to wait?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i don't believe so. with the recommended oil, at those intervals you should be fine.
    of course, i prefer not to follow that advice. i'll stick to synthetic and changing at semi-elongated intervals.

Those 7k intervals are for grandma driving. They recommend 3.5k for any extreme driving. Most of us qualify as extreme.
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

Oh- then they should have an asterisk in the manual that says "Change oil every 7,000 miles*
    *Unless you're on ClubWRX.net- you guys should change it every 500 miles"

Originally posted by jedimaster
    Oh- then they should have an asterisk in the manual that says "Change oil every 7,000 miles*
    *Unless you're on ClubWRX.net- you guys should change it every 500 miles"
    LOL

I actually change it every 5K. It's easier for me to remember when the next on is due, and I don't rag my cars out much anyway.
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

7K is fine for the syn oil, the weak link is the filter. 5K is pushing the cleasing capabilities of any filter, no matter the quality.

i change the whole system at 5K.

dR

I change oil and filter every 5K. I use Mobil 1 and purolator PureOne filters.

99% of my miles is steady highway driving (sad, I know), so I feel pretty good about 5K intervals.

Hg.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

I'm also @ 5k with Mobil1, which I'd call overly cautious for synthetics.... but like dR said, it's the filter.
    2002 WRX Sedan - 2000 Mazda Miata
    Do us all a favor: work on learning how to drive your car before adding more power. Pretty please.

ill try to do it every 3k, im about to get to my first one, im at like 2700 right now, but im sure by the tijme i get around to it ill be at round 3500
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

I got my first at 3k, then another at 6k where i switched to mobil 1 full synthetic. I just did my 3rd change at 11k miles...
    autobahn storming scooby

The 7500 mile interval is for highway mileage/constant speed driving and non-dusty/dirty areas. Those of us who do a lot of stop-and-go city driving are in the 'other' interval of 3500 miles, or those who travel on dusty/dirty environments.
    -Jim

'02 Platinum Silver WRX sedan w/roof rack...bone stock. Ok, now that's a lie.

GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!!

Yesterday I hit that ever elusive 1,000mi mark. Do all of you think I should change the oil now, or wait another 750-1000mi. I don't plan on 'beating it' for some time now, nothing past 4200rpm. what kind of weight does everyone use, 5W-30?
    LET'S GO COLTS!!!
    I have 5 infraction points. What do you have?

I demand a lot out of my motor, and as such I change my synthetic between 3,000 and 4,000 miles. The interval you should select will not only depend upon your driving habits, but also on the conditions of the environment in which you drive. For example, Colorado is extremely dusty and I would not bet on a motor lasting more than 100k miles if you only changed oil every 7k, especially if synthetic is not being used.

-Pace

every 3k like clockwork...

jamie

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.