Subaru Warns All Dealers to "Void" Warranties for Specific Mods
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on Subaru Warns All Dealers to "Void" Warranties for Specific Mods within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; IS2Scooby brought a post in i-club to our attention. It appears that Subaru has instructed all dealers to be on ...

Subaru Warns All Dealers to "Void" Warranties for Specific Mods

IS2Scooby brought a post in i-club to our attention. It appears that Subaru has instructed all dealers to be on the alert for modifications and has further instructed them to void warranties.

Given the fact that most of the questions here asks whether a performance mod voids a warranty, I thought I'd make it a sticky.

Here's the link: http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthr...&threadid=6255

Here's the post:
    Originally posted by WfknRX
    Just to let you guys know that Subaru of America has upgraded
    there warnanty policys.They just gave each and every dealer ship a list of aftermarket parts to look out for with PICTURES i just recived the list of parts today. I and every one that works for a subaru dealer was informed that if we encounter any of these performance upgrades we are required to inform a supervisor about it so warranty can be VOIDED. Here are some of the performance parts that they have on the list:

Any type of Boost Controller (manual or electronic)
    -Blitz
    -Apex
    -mrt
    -etc.......
    Any type of Turbo timer
    -greddy
    -Apex
    -etc........
    Any type of Air/Fuel meters
    -autometer
    -etc......
    Any type of ECU
    -Piggyback with stock ECU
    -Prodive Fastroad ECU
    -Turbo XS ECU
    -any type Uniship ECU
    etc...........
    Any type of aftermarket Intake system
    -AEM
    -MRT
    -etc.....
    Any type of Blow-off valve.
    -blitz
    -turboXS
    -GFB
    -etc........
    Any type of Exhaust System
    -any type of cat-back systems
    -any type of up and downpipes
    -headers
    -etc.........
    Any type Aftermarket Turbos
    -ball bearing
    -VF 22,30,34
    -etc......
    Any type Aftermarket Intercoolers
    -FMIC or TMIC
    -silcone IC hose kits
    Some Miscellaneous things
    -Waterspray kit
    -underdrive pulleys
    They even have pictures of abused transmissions, first and second gears.
    So just to let you guys know that before taking your car to any
    subaru dealer TAKE OFF THIS PARTS IF YOU HAVE THEM. DONT SELL ALL YOUR STOCK PARTS. if any of you guys want a copy of this list or have any questions or concerns let me know give me a PM

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'd like to add three things:

1) Subaru cannot actually "void" you warranty for aftermarket parts. However, they can and will refuse to make repairs under warranty for problems associated with aftermarket enhancements. But this same dealership will most likely repair your broken power window and alarm under warranty despite your catless up pipe. (Like my service manager just did, despite installing the up pipe himself.)

2) When someone says "the M-M Act doesn't allow Subaru to void the warranty for aftermarket parts," all that really means is a court will not legally enforce Subaru's decision. That is, Subaru can declare that your warranty is voided. You can scream about the M-M Act till you're blue in the face. Subaru will again say that your warranty is voided. At this point you can either pay for the repair or get a lawyer involved. When anyone says they can or can't do something legally all it really means to a corporation or lawyer is what a court can or can't enforce. That is, when a court actually gets involved. Till then you can do as you like.

3) Finally, most of the answers here will tell you to look for a mod-friendly dealership. There are more and more dealerships that offer aftermarket installations. Mine does, for example. And they appear to be the most reasonable.
    Last edited by bedabi; 01-19-2003 at 10:51 PM.

WTG Subaru!! Thank-you, please continue to repair my car under warranty for defects from the factory.

Hmmm....In an attempt to add life to my engine and turbo, I have installed a turbo timer. Good thing Subaru plans on voiding my warranty over it.

I seriously, SERIOUSLY, hope Subaru didn't actually use the word void in any of the documents. That would be a nice violation of M&M.
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

SOA did not use the word "void" in its letter to me. The dealer used the word, though.

X

So SOA has some lawyers writing letter for them...and the dealer doesn't...
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

I think this is a good sticky for the newcomers.

For those of us who's been on this forum awhile...nothing new. I would be curious to see what the after-market parts manufactiurers feel about their specific products being named as offenders. If I was Blitz or Greddy or even Autometer, I'd be pissed. And these are big-wig companies who could support a decent lawyer or two.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

Most of the aftermarket parts that I have put on my car say "For Offroad Use Only" (including my SPT muffler). I hope that most of you aren't driving your cars on public roads with this stuff installed and then expecting the parts manufacturers to stand behind you in warranty battles (especially in court). Even though it is in their interest to sell more parts it would be legally tricky for them to admit in court that they KNOW that almost all of their parts are being used on the street (even though any idiot could figure that out).

Dale

Originally posted by djrez4
    Hmmm....In an attempt to add life to my engine and turbo, I have installed a turbo timer. Good thing Subaru plans on voiding my warranty over it.
    I agree, I'm buying my rex in July and was planning on a turbo timer as well. It makes no sense to void a warranty over a part that actually extends the life of an OEM component

Bedabi has a good point to look for a mod-friendly dealer. That will factor into my decision on where I'll buy my rex.

Registered User platinum scooby's Avatar
    Originally posted by djrez4
    turbo timers do nothing for your turbo on this vehicle. no need to install them according to soa's technical report. run a search.
    2003 platinum silver wrx
    the only good suv is a dead suv.

Just one question that this thread got me wondering. First off I do not like taking my car to the dealer for service anyways. It seems that alot of dealers do not even hire ASE certified mechanics anymore. I know my local Honda dealer only had like 2 ASE certified mechanics and the rest were "Honda certified techs".

Here's my question, seeing as most of these car manufactures are trying this sort of warranty stuff, is it possible to buy a car without a warranty?? Would SOA or the dealer give you a price cut on the car?? I mean if I know I will be modding the car and they will not warranty it for these minor upgrades then I have no use for it. Just to clear some things up, I am not talking about any extened warranty but the one that comes with the base price. Is there even a mark up (does the base warranty get added to the base price of the car at the factory) for this??

Originally posted by 02WRX03060

Here's my question, seeing as most of these car manufactures are trying this sort of warranty stuff, is it possible to buy a car without a warranty??
    I can't think of anything that would rule that possibility out. Give a dealership a call and ask. Can't hurt.

My guess is the price break if any would be next to nothing and the warranty is still good for the rest of the car. My drivers side window started hesatating and they fixed it for me even though they had already told me not to even talk to them about drive train issues with my mods.
    Ride on!
    Road Runner a.k.a. Mark

I'm pickign up my car today. They voided the warranty on a broken Shift Fork because of my Unichip. I'm calling around to lawers. A couple of them sounded interested. I'll see what happens. any one else had broken shift forks? My friend over here is just starting to have the same problem that mine was. it cost me over $1500 to fix the shift fork. I just have to pay it for now because I need a car.
    Orin's 2002 WRX Features.....
    Injen Cold Air Intake, M2 Up-Pipe, TurboXS Blow Off Valve, M2 3" Turbo Back Exhaust, M2 Up-pipe, Unichip (Tuned by Cobbtuning)
    VF30 Turbo, Walbro Fuel Pump, STI Fuel Injectors, 18" Konig Tantrums, Wings West Pro Wing, etc...

PS. one odd thing is that they didn't even notice the Aftermarket turbo. And they had an official subaru rep. look at it. interesting.
    Orin's 2002 WRX Features.....
    Injen Cold Air Intake, M2 Up-Pipe, TurboXS Blow Off Valve, M2 3" Turbo Back Exhaust, M2 Up-pipe, Unichip (Tuned by Cobbtuning)
    VF30 Turbo, Walbro Fuel Pump, STI Fuel Injectors, 18" Konig Tantrums, Wings West Pro Wing, etc...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.