Subaru Warns All Dealers to "Void" Warranties for Specific Mods - Page 8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

This is a discussion on Subaru Warns All Dealers to "Void" Warranties for Specific Mods within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Guys, as a person who works at a dealership, let me just say one thing, dont be a douche bag, ...

Guys, as a person who works at a dealership, let me just say one thing, dont be a douche bag, if you messed it up, PAY! Or take some damn pride and do it yourself, regardless, us techs get paid next to nothing for warranty pay in most instances, therefore, your messin with our money, instead of spending time on someone with a valid complaint or whos willing to pay, we have to spend time on some dumb kid who detached the internal wastegate actuator arm, overboosted, and killed all sorts of things........ techs have family, wives, kids, the same responsibilities you have and when you try and warranty stuff, you screw us on money that we could earn, dont do it, you play, you pay, simple!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Red face my subaru sad story

I bought my car new in 2002 (its an 03 model) and have been a vocal and proud subaru supporter while owning my car. Because i drive lotsa miles and was unsure about buying a subaru got an extended waranty 75k. I performed every scheduled maintenence and oil change at my same local dealer.
    After more than 2 years of having my car, I decided to do somthing cool and get a cat back exhaust. with 35k on my odo I visit the dealer for my only problem (so far) a AC belt screaching when the compressor engages(AC is cold tho).
    AC system was recharged and belt was adjusted. next day belt screach was back prompting a return to dealership. After an entire day and a 1/4 tank of gas the dealer stated they could not recreate the problem.
    At my next day off( a week later) I returned to the same dealer to report that the problem still exists, (middle of summer heat wave 95+ degrees now) and report to dealer that when I hear the screaching belt I now smell burnt rubber, and AC isnt very cold when this happens. Dealer takes car in again for a complete day but tells me " Ac seems to be working fine and belt chirp is normal." When asked if burning rubber is normal, or if screaching comes with every subaru the service manager said no but " we could not recreate the problem techs report AC works normal."
    Now frustrated with lame ac(and scared of chucking a belt and causing more damage to the car) I drive to work for a few days with the windows down and the AC off, and notice a sweet maple syrup smell. I take Yet another day off work to visit my friendly dealership so my cars coolant leak can be fixed.
    This is where things get good, the service manager decides to not fix anything while i waited patiently for 3 hours, and instead decides to tell me my warranty has been voided due to installation of unapproved aftermarket accessories-one listed exhaust. The explanation of why 3 hours was needed to tell me this was " mecahnics have been testing your computer to see is it has been altered and have been looking for other aftermarket parts such as a boost controller or nitruous " no doubt in hopes to further justify voiding my warranty. None were found(because none existed on my car).
    I admittedly lost my temper and did yell at the service manager. It turns out a $20 upper radiator hose needed replacement. But soa is now refusing to honor my warranty on anything due to my hks catback exhaust.
    The service manager gave no clear answer to how an exhaust could cause a hose to leak or create belt screaching when using the AC. But did say SOA was cracking down on modded cars.
    I have since sold the car after getting the next nearest dealer to fix the ac problem (Ac clutch) and fixed the leaky radiator hose myself. If my car had a real problem like trans failure or internal engine probs I probably would be SOL as the second dealership (more than 30 mile away) Timmons warned me about my exhaust.
    I drive like a saint 99% of the time because I have a kid in the back seat. I have owned several other cars before and I have never had a problem like this, ever(Honda, Toyota, Nissan). All my other cars I have modded in some way with minor bolt ons and the dealership was always ok it. This is the last time I will buy a Subaru, whats the point of a warranty if it protects and covers nothing. I loved the way the car drove but hated having to fix it and pay for it (especially when it still should have been covered by a warranty). Oh and a subaru extended warranty is useless (Enron stock is worth more) I have read horror stories of others and I now urge Others (and will continue to urge others) to buy anything else. DO NOT BUY SUBARU
    Oh btw FRANK'S IRVINE SUBARU was my local stealership.
    please repost this mods if appropriate.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by d1bda View Post
    Oh btw FRANK'S IRVINE SUBARU was my local stealership.
    please repost this mods if appropriate.
    That's ironic. They used to sell aftermarket parts and had a mini "showcorner" with a couple display cases of parts in the same room as the service check in. I guess times change.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by SchlepRock View Post
    us techs get paid next to nothing for warranty pay in most instances
    Wow. That is one way to cut costs. Motivate techs to void warranties any chance they get. I'm not saying that you do this Schlep, but there are plenty who would.

I agree that people shouldn't try to scam dealerships when they have abused their car but that policy explains a lot about why we hear stories like the one above. Techs should be paid by the hour, equally for every job so there is no ulterior motive or conflict of interest.

Warranty denied?
    http://www.semaactionnetwork.com/mai....aspx?id=60128

Consumers Bill of Rights:
    http://www.semaactionnetwork.com/mai....aspx?id=60127
    200,000 mile club.

Old Irish adage: "Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege."

I Support ClubWRX
    Part of the problem is you all need to be educated consumers.When you go in armed with info you can get more accomplished.Magnusson-Moss act anyone?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act
    http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/.../warranty.shtm
    http://www.pt-tuning.com/policies/Magn-Moss-Act.html
    Last edited by Donkey; 03-29-2008 at 04:31 PM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I just bought my 05 WRX in July from a Subaru dealer. They did warn me that putting mods on it would "void" my warranty but when I bought it there was already a K&N typhoon long intake and a cat back. They said they would still warranty the car as long as nothing further is modded, the only problem with this is I live 5 hours from the dealer, due to the fact it was the only dealer in my state with a decent WRX for sale and couldn't buy closer. My dilemma is there are closer dealers, but should i risk taking it there incase they void my warranty or do i have to drive or get it towed 5 hours just for work... somewhat of a bad deal for me...

i had to drive 2 1/2 hrs to get mine.. and i go to one 10 miles away, though there is one even closer, but my buddy works there which helps avoid me getting screwed over.. nonetheless its still a dealership..

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678