Subaru Warns All Dealers to "Void" Warranties for Specific Mods - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on Subaru Warns All Dealers to "Void" Warranties for Specific Mods within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; [QUOTE=E-Wrex] Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior ...if he expects me to buy my next car from his dealership, I know that ...

[QUOTE=E-Wrex]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    ...if he expects me to buy my next car from his dealership, I know that he's got me covered.

I'm not saying to act like a prima donna. But you are important, as the consumer. IMO, select a dealer to return to where that concept is followed....QUOTE]

Ahahahahaha, good call! I'll keep that in mind of they try and void me for a cat-back exhaust, some silicon hosing and an air-filter.
    There's one in every crowd, I guess...

Whether you've got a bone stock Impreza or something that looks like it fell out of Star Wars, I'm just saying, stand up for yourself. A friend of mine with a new (stock) Nissan is learning that lesson now.
    "There is no terrible way to win. There is only winning." --- Jean-Pierre Sarti

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Why my dealership sucks

Here's a funny story about Subaru's Service dept.:

If you went 2 years on dino oil without a single oil change, do you think Subaru would try to void your warranty? I suspect they wouldn't be too keen on your maintenance habits.

Ironically, that's exactly what the dealership did to the new 2004 WRX that I just bought. It's been on their lot since 8/2003 and never sold. I bought it new 8/2005 with 900mi on it. I checked my oil level on the 4th day I had the car and it was a quart low. I took it in and asked for oil change records, and, surprise, they hadn't done any oil changes. IN 2 YEARS! I asked the tech what she thought about the manual's recommended oil change schedule and she said it's absolutely necessary to change the oil every 3 months. Certainly good for their revenue, anyways. She also said that I was not covered if I put in Synthetic oil. She couldn't explain why the level was a quart low- just saying that since my car had about 1000 miles on it that it wasn't totally surprising that it had consumed some oil. I assume that it consumed oil because quick, short test driving is not easy on the oil.

It is pathetic that the same people who try to void the warranties of enthusiasts who mod their cars to improve them would be so basically imcompetent with maintenance. I know this story probably reflects more on the competence of that particular dealership than that of all subaru techs, but seriously...2 years and nobody noticed. I think I'll have any warranty service performed elsewhere.

If I disconnected all the things I putin my car like TT and gauges and wut other ever electrical mods I put in but leave them there like dont remove the gauges from the gauge pods or leave the TT right were it is would they be able to void my warranty? cause the mod are actaully installed right? wouldnt it be the same if i just had them chillen in my trunk

Registered User volcomsoldier19's Avatar

the law

subaru can only legally void a warranty if your aftermarket part has caused the problem, that's what the law states.....though if something like "hey I installed NOS and now my a/c is'nt working" then that's not Nos' fault, it is subaru's.....just my .02

i hate mods... its like crack... ive never done crack but im guessin if im this addicted to mods and its so bad for the car i dont even want to know what crack would do to me
    whats a signature?

I'm just curious, regarding the post saying Subaru will void warranties for modded vehicles, exactly how are they going to know if you remove the mods before bringing the car in.

I'm actually not interested in modding my car but i'm just curious why people can't just take the stuff out before bringing the car in.

They can probably tell if the bolts or seals have been tampered with.

so, i guess the allowed mods are drivetrain work? I have a clutch, flywheel and STi v6 gearset..
    Drew

This is all pretty funny considering that when I was looking for a wrx, the salesman asked me if I was going to mod it. With the straightest face I could I replied no. Then he said well if you are, for 2006 there is going to be a wrx tr model "tuner ready".

Quote Originally Posted by Surge
    This is all pretty funny considering that when I was looking for a wrx, the salesman asked me if I was going to mod it. With the straightest face I could I replied no. Then he said well if you are, for 2006 there is going to be a wrx tr model "tuner ready".
    lol tuner ready?? meaning no warranty?
    maybe they have a different type of warranty for it, thats less strict on modding?
    who knows

..I have a question though.. if something breaks and subaru won't cover it, can you replace it with a stonger part, or do they require you to replace it with another oem part?????????????
    Last edited by le wagon; 09-15-2005 at 04:51 PM.
    EVO III 16g'd wagon
    stock tranny goin strong
    .. already ready for a bigger turbo
    - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chanwahyaoh
    Sometimes after I go poo, I just blank out and mindlessly continue my upward wipe all the way up the small of my back and end up smearing brown all over myself. Just kidding. That sucks about your laundry though...

Magnuson Moss Warranty Act ( Read This )

http://www.xcceleration.com/warranty.act.htm

Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on
    a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove
    that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure
    in the vehicle ( per the Magnuson Moss Act(15 u.s.c. 2302(c)

If your vehicle manufacturer fails to honor emission / warranty claims,
    contact EPA at (202) 260-2080 or www.epa.gov.

If federal warranty protection is denied contact the FTC at (202) 326-3128
    or www.ftc.gov.

How did i find out about this? my sale person showed it to me while i was still
    at the dealership.

Well isn't that interesting. Within the life of this post I get to write about two transmission problems that the dealership won't fix. I'm being told that I need a whole new transmission by a local shop. I'm thinking about getting the gruppe-s STI V6 RA transmission that they have. http://www.gruppe-s.com/Subaru/subtrn.htm But Once again teh dealership willl do nothin got my car for it because of my unichip. None of the lawyers I've called will take my case because I live in Mississippi and no lawyers are interested in you unless you're getting a divorce or sueing someone here. My mods are:

injen cold air intake
    TurboXS type H blow off valve
    Unichip piggy back (Tuned at Cobb)
    M2 up pipe
    M2 turbo back exhaust
    Walbro Fuel pump
    STI pink injectors
    VF34 turbo

yall think this transmission would be good for me? I'm also looking at an ACT clutch and an ACT lightwight flywheel. I see they have 2 weights of flywheels. Are there any disadvantages to having a flywheel that's too light?
    Orin's 2002 WRX Features.....
    Injen Cold Air Intake, M2 Up-Pipe, TurboXS Blow Off Valve, M2 3" Turbo Back Exhaust, M2 Up-pipe, Unichip (Tuned by Cobbtuning)
    VF30 Turbo, Walbro Fuel Pump, STI Fuel Injectors, 18" Konig Tantrums, Wings West Pro Wing, etc...

hm

luckily I live in jacksonville where we have the largest subaru dealership in the nation, we also have a mod shop on property there. The mod mechanic , the service dept and my dealer said as long as I do everything in house, I am under warrenty. So I am very thankful for my situation. In fact my mechanic is one of the vendors for nasioc.

luckily my dad is friends with the guy who is in charge of our local subaru dealership

so if you put body kits (spoilers, front air dam, side skirts), rims and other cosmetic mod to your car. But no engine mods...will they still honor the warranty if anything breaks or in need of regular maintenance ???

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.