Subaru Warns All Dealers to "Void" Warranties for Specific Mods - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on Subaru Warns All Dealers to "Void" Warranties for Specific Mods within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; A dealer legally cannot void the warranty on your car if you are taking it in for basic service. They ...

A dealer legally cannot void the warranty on your car if you are taking it in for basic service. They can void warranty on the part that was effected in the car due to aftermarket parts. My uppipe was damaged when i used to have a rex and they would not cover only the precat that was damaged by mbc. They also denied warranty on my tranny for a 4th gear syncro and blamed it on my mods and drviving by the way they had seen the clutch. Im still in the same boat now that i have an EVO VIII. i spoke to the mitsu dealer and they said they would not void warranty unless something breaks due to aftermarket parts. dealers cannot i repeat cannot void warranry on the entire car only on was is deffective.Guys i learned my lesson the hard way, please take everything off your car before taking it in. I ended up paying $3200 in repairs b/c not only of tranny but my rex sucked big time. That car went to the shop more times that i can remember
    2005 Electric Blue Mitsubishi Evolution VIII,
    2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII
    Helix Catback
    Helix Downpipe
    Ultimate Racing test pipe
    Txs Mbc
    Greddy Type-s bov

www.myspace.com/evil_evo_viii
    www.mitsubishiunited.com
    2004 Subaru Wrx-Sold

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The Magnuson Moss act which can be found on the US Federal Register,is very specific, and No the dealer can't just void all of your warranty because of a few mods,but if the specific mod is part of the problem you WILL lose in arbitration. One thing that has not been mentioned in this thread is violations of Federal law concerning emissions controls. Gutted cats can result in a huge fine. Depends on the state but in New Jersey for instance,inspectors have actually been known to tap on cats to see if they have been hollowed out. Realistically how can you expect them to fix something you ****ed up? Any experienced mechanic can tell if a part has been abused or used beyond its design limits. These parts replaced under waranty must be kept and later inspected by regional service managers. You can't blame the dealer-they want to get paid. When you work you want a paycheck ,right. I had a 99 Porsche 911. That I kept stock. The car was a disaster-they performed 12 thousand in warranty work. The ECU in that car has proprietary software that can only be read by factory devices. You got to see the data logs-even counts how many times you hit the rev limiter. Drag racing , in particular is VERY hard on driveline parts,bottom line is if you want to play sometimes you got to pay.
    Remember: Freedom isn't free.
    Old car: 1999 Porsche 996 C2 coupe
    New Car: 2005 WRX Sti
    Verdict: NO comparison-Sti rules
    Previous race car: Eagle chassis sprint car,410cu in Donovan aluminum smallblock dynoed at 806 hp. car weight. 1375 with the driver. Turn right to go left!!! Sprint car racing-drifting for real!

yeah the only mod I have right now is a axleback exhuast, I cant see them voiding my warranty on EVERYTHING just because of that. Or when I get some aftermarket wheels in the spring, I dont think they are going to void my entire powertrain warranty just because of that.

and with the A/F ratio gauge, what if I do like I did on my last car, and weld a new 02 sensor after the last cat?

What if I just upgraded my muffler only?
    Will they void the warranty in any way.
    Mine's an '05.
    Duplicolor, "Scratch Fix 2 in 1" Pewter met. #NG GM 490
    is a perfect match touch up paint for the stock (newer style) '05+ gun metal wheels.

Registered User Solid_Snake1234's Avatar
    i put a turboback exhaust on my 2002 wagon. the downpipe has a maddad hiflow-cat with a divorced wastgate on it connected to a 3CE to a borla hush catback. this is all the mods i have done besides switching the shift knob. i will be getting a 30,000 mile tune up soon. do you think anything could happen when they are performing the tune-up.

Do they void the warantee for the performance aftermarket exhaust and intake they sell? I would think if anything would damage the transmission it is the aftermarket clutches the dealer offers.

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight
    The Magnuson Moss act which can be found on the US Federal Register,is very specific, and No the dealer can't just void all of your warranty because of a few mods,but if the specific mod is part of the problem you WILL lose in arbitration.
    the MMA is very specific - it even has a clause in it that states if the manufacturer mentions in their warranty description that they may void the warranty for aftermarket parts present on the car, then they have every right to do so.

i can't find an actual online report of the MMA in full but from http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dumm...e/id-2669.html i found one piece that will help in this case

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
    The relevant legislation here, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975, protects consumers from being wrongfully denied warranty coverage by new car dealers.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states, in part, in Title 15, United States Code, Section 2302, subdivision (c):
    No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer's using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the [Federal Trade] Commission if

(1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and

(2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest. The Commission shall identify in the Federal Register, and permit public comment on, all applications for waiver of the prohibition of this subsection, and shall publish in the Federal Register its disposition of any such application, including the reasons therefore.

Under this federal statute, a manufacturer who issues a warranty on your motor vehicle is prohibited from requiring you to use a service or maintenance item, unless such item is provided, free of charge, under your warranty or unless the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) waives this prohibition against the manufacturer.

Further, under the act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not automatically void a vehicle manufacturer's original warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle's warranty, or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure.
    now the question is, does subaru's warranty contract SPECIFICALLY STATE that aftermarket parts will void the warranty? soes anyone have a copy of their warranty terms handy? because if it does then they are in the right and we are all going to have to just bend over.

also note the 2nd to last paragraph which says they cannot deny warranty for not servicing your vehicle with them
    07 WRX TR | 03 mazda6
    man a whole mess of nachos sounds good right now
    ***Hawk-Eye Alliance #95*** Kachow!!

to answer my own question, iv'e read my 2003 Warranty and Maintenance Booklet and did not see a clause that states the warranty will be automatically voided by aftermarket part presence. what it does say:

p. 13

Damage or Malfunction Due to Improper Repair or Unauthorized Parts
    These warranties do not cover any part which malfunctions, fails, or is damaged due to any unauthorized alteration or modification made to the car such as the removal of parts or the installation of parts, equipment or accessories or improper repairs or adjustments not approved or recommended by SOA.

Damage Caused By a Non-Covered, Unauthorized Part
    These warranties do not cover damage to a covered component directly caused by the failure of a non-covered part, accessory or occurance of event

p. 14
    Damage Caused Due to Use of Vehicle in Competitive Events
    These warranties do not cover damage to any component that is the result of operating the vehicle in any competition or racing event.
    07 WRX TR | 03 mazda6
    man a whole mess of nachos sounds good right now
    ***Hawk-Eye Alliance #95*** Kachow!!

my dealer warrantied my whole stage 4 wrx with the fmic, hehehehe for a while then they started asking for money! so i bought the sti and im still in the goods woohoo
    Fadi....
    04' WRX, Stage 4 with fmic R.I.P
    05' WRX STI, 325whp 346wtq @17psi
    MODS
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailboss
    Enough of the bloody titties show.

wow so pretty much anything voids it ...haha so stupid...looks like mines void many times over ..lol
    2003 ASPEN WHITE WRX
    ------------------------
    Stage 2 !!!!

any of you guys know of any mod friendly dealers in central NJ...just bought a 2002 wrx but i wanna mod soon but not until i know the cars stilll good..its only got 25k miles
    Pete

I read somewhere that it has to be very specific in the warranty about what can and can't be done. I know the factory warranties are very strict, but I havent even looked at it because I got the extended. My question is: it says in my warranty that if the car is modified beyond vehicle specifications it will void the warranty. It doesn't get more specific than that so I am curious if I have already voided it with intake, exhaust, bov, and intercooler hoses.

Quote Originally Posted by airsofter69
    any of you guys know of any mod friendly dealers in central NJ...
    Pete
    This is a very interesting thread. From past experience with different cars, I'd say you just touched on an important point. What SOA seems to have given dealers (and themselves) with this is ample wiggle room. As suggested in your post, not all dealers are created equal... but some are more equal than others. The dealership where I bought my car is a large, higher volume dealer (owned by a true azzhat ) where I was little more than a number - but I got one helluva deal. My car only has light mods at this point, but with anything more than an air freshner, I know not to take my car back to that dealer if I have a problem. On the other hand, the dealer that services my car seldom sees a WRX, but they've known me and my family for years. I feel like I can hear the Burger King song ("Have It Your Way") when I walk through the door. I'm probably a little older than the average WRX owner, so maybe that would influence what they'd assume about "abuse". And I wouldn't take the car in and expect them to pay... if I felt it was my fault or something I'd changed.

The only problem I've had with this car is the usual 1st gear problem (that everyone else seems to be having, by reading this board ). When I took it in, they made a call and came back with the suggestion that I might have been racing and shifting into 1st above 25mph. I had the downpipe on and they also noted that. The service manager saw the blank stare I gave him after I said, "can the clown on the phone prove that in court?". He said, "don't worry about it - I've got you covered." Not a problem - if he expects me to buy my next car from his dealership, I know that he's got me covered.

I'm not saying to act like a prima donna. But you are important, as the consumer. IMO, select a dealer to return to where that concept is followed.

Great thread!
    "There is no terrible way to win. There is only winning." --- Jean-Pierre Sarti

[QUOTE=Jag_Warrior]...if he expects me to buy my next car from his dealership, I know that he's got me covered.

I'm not saying to act like a prima donna. But you are important, as the consumer. IMO, select a dealer to return to where that concept is followed....QUOTE]

Ahahahahaha, good call! I'll keep that in mind of they try and void me for a cat-back exhaust, some silicon hosing and an air-filter.
    My poor tranny!... someone sell me an aspen white 06 sti.

Mods

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.